IGNORED

Zaku for the Atari Lynx: Official thread

DeathAdderSF

Hello, everyone.

It's exciting to read all the positive comments! We're glad that people are enjoying Zaku; it's a great feeling to know that so many people are having a lot of fun with their Lynxes again. :D

Being able to provide the authentic "curved lip" game card design was a huge accomplishment for us, something I personally get ecstatic about every time I see it. It was an absolute necessity, too, as I couldn't have seen publishing a Lynx game without it.

If there are any questions about order status, please direct them to me via e-mail or private message. Of course, we welcome feedback - it helps us improve upon future products. So please keep those comments coming, be they good or bad, but most of all - keep enjoying the game, and never let dreams die! :cool:

OMG! Got mine in yesterday, wicked to say the least! Professional packageing, professional manual, incredible game... I'm at a loss for words... I feel like I just bought this game off the shelves back in the lynx heyday!

Great work to all of those involved with this project! After so many years of development hell, your product definately shines! Again, incredible! Thank you for such a great product!

OMG! Got mine in yesterday, wicked to say the least! Professional packageing, professional manual, incredible game... I'm at a loss for words... I feel like I just bought this game off the shelves back in the lynx heyday!

Great work to all of those involved with this project! After so many years of development hell, your product definately shines! Again, incredible! Thank you for such a great product!

agree completely. This game is a "system seller" :) It's also given me a reason to play my Lynx for more than 5 minutes, which hasn't happened in 10+ years! :thumbsup:

• Like 1

WOW! You need more games if you haven't had a reason to pick up the Lynx for more than 5 minutes in the past 10 years.

I dunno, the only real reason I even have my own Lynx aside from development work is for Chip's Challenge and Toki. There's much more to play on other consoles or portable machines of the era (aside from maybe the Watara SuperVision). For the average person, there really isn't much reason to own a Lynx aside from the Atari name. The console's library is completely insufficient for the standard of games that was available at the time.

I got Zaku today too. Ordered my copy a few days after the release date so it was fast delivered. Good packing, hard box. No pancake here. The game is truly magnificent! Highest quality in every aspect. STRONGLY RECOMMENDED for those who have not yet bought it! It doesn’t get any better then this.

Gameplay is great fun. I managed to complete two zones so far. Will play more tomorrow!

The console's library is completely insufficient for the standard of games that was available at the time.

WTF? Klax, Shanghai, Blue Lightning, BattleWheels, Paperboy - if you like arcade conversions the Lynx has one of the highest quality libraries available.

The console's library is completely insufficient for the standard of games that was available at the time.

WTF? Klax, Shanghai, Blue Lightning, BattleWheels, Paperboy - if you like arcade conversions the Lynx has one of the highest quality libraries available.

Taken on its own, it's OK, but every non-computer Atari system post Atari 2600 (a case could be made post-5200) had software line-ups that were very weak in comparison to what the competition was offering. The Lynx was no different, along with the typical slow pace of releases and sometimes long delays of titles that might have helped the cause a bit more. It's irrelevant really, as even though there were several clunkers in its line-up, there were some true gems and it was a quality system, and probably the last one from Atari fondly remembered by those outside of the die-hards. And also unlike say the Jaguar, it wasn't caught in a weird generational gap - it featured market leading technology in the handheld sector for quite a few years.

damn! this game is hard!

even on the easy setting...it is amazingly difficult.

I love the challenge though!

I agree. During testing, each new stage that Osman finished was a fun challenge for me to try and complete. The variety of enemy appearances, quirks and attack methods will keep you guessing each time for sure. One of my favorite bosses from the game is Iremsha's submarine from act 2 of Marine Zone. Check it out for yourself and see if you agree! ;)

Mines not arrived yet. Probably due to the back log of parcels from the postal strikes. Maybe it'll arrive in time for the weekend. That would make my week year! :lust:

I ordered on the first day; my copy arrived at some point today I think (there's sometimes a day's delay after post gets inside the building) and I'm in London. Unboxing photos attached, since that's what people seem to post on the internet nowadays. You couldn't ask for a higher quality physical package; some of the branding is non-identical (almost certainly intentionally in most places), but otherwise this is practically indistinguishable from an original release.

Being basically rubbish at these sort of games, I've so far only been to Level 2, but I can tell you that the game works very well on the Lynx's screen, and has clearly been designed with its level of blurring in mind. The graphics look quite nice and move well, and even with my limited knowledge I can already tell that this game is a lot better than Gates of Zendocon.

The intro, on a real Lynx (as soon as youtube process it):

post-24504-125738112866_thumb.jpg

post-24504-125738113409_thumb.jpg

post-24504-125738113937_thumb.jpg

post-24504-125738114527_thumb.jpg

post-24504-125738115071_thumb.jpg

post-24504-125738115631_thumb.jpg

post-24504-125738116173_thumb.jpg

post-24504-125738116663_thumb.jpg

Edited by ThomH

Hello.

You couldn't ask for a higher quality physical package; some of the branding is non-identical (almost certainly intentionally in most places), but otherwise this is practically indistinguishable from an original release.Being basically rubbish at these sort of games, I've so far only been to Level 2, but I can tell you that the game works very well on the Lynx's screen, and has clearly been designed with its level of blurring in mind. The graphics look quite nice and move well, and even with my limited knowledge I can already tell that this game is a lot better than Gates of Zendocon.

Thanks for posting your photos and video. As well, thank-you for the nice comments about the game. I didn't watch your video because I'm on a 56k connection, but if you get the chance to make and share any gameplay videos in addition to that intro one you made, it would be a great demonstration for those still on the fence about buying the game and / or those who just want to see what the Lynx is fully capable of.

I hope you continue to enjoy the game, building skill at it over time. I'm not the greatest at shooters myself, and I can tell you - Zaku's challenging nature takes some time to build up an ability to, but once you do, man, it's really something fun.

• Like 1

My copy arrived today. STUNNING! And that's just the build quality. I've yet to plug it in and play. I almost don't want to so I can preserve it's un-touched beauty.

Un-touched??? Won't you touch a beautiful pussy? You must touch it ! :D

My copy is not arrived yet, hope today...

I need to.... touch it :)

My copy arrived today. STUNNING! And that's just the build quality. I've yet to plug it in and play. I almost don't want to so I can preserve it's un-touched beauty.

Un-touched??? Won't you touch a beautiful pussy? You must touch it ! :D

My copy is not arrived yet, hope today...

I need to.... touch it :)

I like it. You get into the game quite fast as the enemies are predictable. I also like the length of a session. You get to meet the boss in a few minutes which is good.

The music is nice. It seems to be composed for this title and it is true Lynx sounds and not just a converted midi from somewhere else.

But the number of hours put into making this game must have been really big. This is not like a homebrew release at all.

--

Karri

I've now played it. I love the ability to charge up Zaku to fire a Super Shot. I'm playing it on the hard difficulty which as far as I can tell gives you a smaller health bar. I've reached the boss Iremsha D. Kanesco, which is within the first stage, Turtle Zone.

I'm really enjoying the game. To me it is quite like Air Zonk on the PC Engine GT.

Edited by im_reg

Think of it, a new Lynx game in 2009!

This is the 4th new Lynx game in 2009 ;) : Lynxopoly, Solitare, Bitchy, Zaku. If you add the Flash card and others I could have forgotten, this is a great celebration year :lust:

And finally the Lynx encryption is cracked! See the Programming thread for details.

--

Karri

I'd like to know how this was developed. C? ASM? Are there any reasonably easy design tools for the Lynx?

Also, I'd be lying if I said I didn't wish that there were a Game Boy Advance version of Zaku. I have a Lynx in my collection but the screen is so milky. What I wouldn't give for a little TFT action on this system! Has anyone ever attempted to update the hardware? The system would be fantastic if it were only smaller, lighter, more power efficient, and had a better screen. As it is, it's awfully hard to go back to it after eight years of handhelds with small form factors and razor-sharp displays.