IGNORED

Sinistar for the Atari 8bit

Warriorisabouttodie

I dont care about the rom getting dumped. I just would like to see a screen shot.

http://www.atariprot...ar/sinistar.htm

I don't care about screenshots. I would just like to see a video on YT. ;) :D

I'll see if I can get one up there. Work is slowly progressing on a cart ROM, but no firm ETA as of yet.

I dont care about the rom getting dumped. I just would like to see a screen shot.

http://www.atariprot...ar/sinistar.htm

I don't care about screenshots. I would just like to see a video on YT. ;) :D

I'll see if I can get one up there. Work is slowly progressing on a cart ROM, but no firm ETA as of yet.

That would be great! It would be nice to see it in action for the time being.

• 2 weeks later...

Is it as hard as the arcade, or am I just a wuss?

Actually due to the incomplete nature of the AI, it's easier. There are some glitches in the computer AI that make enemy ships not hit you as often as they should.

Tempest

Sounds good to me. I always get killed in Sinistar. Maybe that is the teddy bear level.

Actually due to the incomplete nature of the AI, it's easier. There are some glitches in the computer AI that make enemy ships not hit you as often as they should.

Tempest

Is the game fun to play in it's current state? Is the long wait (it's been what 4 years or more since it was discovered) because someone is working on finishing Sinistar?

Tempest

Is the game fun to play in it's current state? Is the long wait (it's been what 4 years or more since it was discovered) because someone is working on finishing Sinistar?

Totally. The AI just needs a little 'tweak' to make it perfect. The game was 99% done.

Tempest

Tempest

Totally. The AI just needs a little 'tweak' to make it perfect. The game was 99% done.

Tempest

I wanted this game so bad back in the day. I remember reading an article in Analog where they mentioned it was coming out along with the 7800 which was delayed for years. I'm surprised if the game was so close to finished that it didn't end up being a XEGS release.

I'm surprised if the game was so close to finished that it didn't end up being a XEGS release.

That's a good point. The only things I can think of are:

1. They couldn't get the license again

2. They didn't think Sinistar was a popular enough game (the arcade version is a cult classic, but hardly a popular game)

3. They didn't know it existed

Point 3 may sound unbelievable, but remember that Atari Corp. was seriously dysfunctional and didn't know a lot of what happened back in the Atari Inc. days. It's quite possible they didn't even know Sinistar had been done.

Tempest

I'm surprised if the game was so close to finished that it didn't end up being a XEGS release.

That's a good point. The only things I can think of are:

1. They couldn't get the license again

2. They didn't think Sinistar was a popular enough game (the arcade version is a cult classic, but hardly a popular game)

3. They didn't know it existed

Point 3 may sound unbelievable, but remember that Atari Corp. was seriously dysfunctional and didn't know a lot of what happened back in the Atari Inc. days. It's quite possible they didn't even know Sinistar had been done.

Tempest

I am thinking #3, because even if they couldn't get the license or more likely did not want to pay for it I can see them re-imagining the game and making a Sinistar clone if they knew about it.

• 7 months later...