IGNORED

WHO or WHAT is Pac-Man?!?!?!?

segasaturn

Recently I got Jr. Pac-Man for the 2600, and it just came to me.....Who or What is Pac-Man?

Is Pac-Man a human, animal, Pizza :D, or What?

I don't think it was posted on the forum before, if it was I'm sorry.

And the 2600 forum was the best place I could think of to post this.

But is he a dog, or bird or what?!?! It don't think the designers of Pac-Man ever said who or what he was.

And what about Ms. Pac-Man? This must go deeper than we know...

Pac-man was designed by rounding out the Japanese character for 'mouth', kuchi. He was named Pac-Man because the Japanese sound for opening and closing a mouth quickly is 'pakku pakku'.

For the record that was Wikipedia, I am not some crazy guru of all things Japanese.

Pac-man was designed by rounding out the Japanese character for 'mouth', kuchi. He was named Pac-Man because the Japanese sound for opening and closing a mouth quickly is 'pakku pakku'.

For the record that was Wikipedia, I am not some crazy guru of all things Japanese.

I wanted to know what IS Pac-Man, not what is he named for/after.

I think that the question was more philosophical than that. Not regarding how the character's appearance originated.

Pac-Man isn't some kind of creature or vehicle...it's the means that the player overcomes obstacles. Trying to attach biological functions to most game characters is more than just a little creepy (on all sides).

Pac-Man is a state of mind. Grab all that you can...and get them before they get you.

Recently I got Jr. Pac-Man for the 2600, and it just came to me.....Who or What is Pac-Man?

Pac Man is actually Elvis. You may not notice the similarities given the heavy plastic surgery he went through to avoid publicity so it's understandable if there's any confusion.

NUM NUM NUM.

... i really shouldn't post this... ah heck why not.

Pac-Man is a state of mind. Grab all that you can...and get them before they get you.

It's also kind of like a greed test. Do you take a chance and go out of your way for that bonus item? It can also be a laziness test. Do you take a chance and go for those few extra dots while you're here or do you back off and come back later when there are fewer enemies in the area?

According to the Japanese creator,the round shape of Pac-Man with a triangular slice taken out was inspired by a Pizza Pie with one slice taken out IIRC.Saw that on a gaming documentary on You-Tube

According to the Japanese creator,the round shape of Pac-Man with a triangular slice taken out was inspired by a Pizza Pie with one slice taken out IIRC.Saw that on a gaming documentary on You-Tube

I've also heard that this is just a myth.

Anyone have a link other than some doofus on youtube or wiki?

Pac-Man has to be a man. If he wasn't, he would be called Pac-Thing. You ever see the cartoons where they show his body? He has a hideously deformed head, but that doesn't seem to stop him from being in the public limelight. What I want to know is who are the ghosts ghosts of, anyway? Was Pac-Man in the mafia and killed a whole bunch of people and the ghosts are of the guys he shot and they're trying to haunt him?

Pacman isn't a state of mind or a representation of laziness, he is Satan himself. Pacman is a merciless hunter, torturing the souls of the damned. He has cursed the souls into thinking that they can win, that they can strike back.

Wrong.

Not only does this representative of destruction devour his enemies with merciless furor, he does it again and again. These souls have no chance to escape, running through an endless maze which we know as Hell.

Do not fuck with PACMAN

Edited by brandondwright

I am surprised that when it was first launched, the PC brigade didn't try and get it banned or the first part of the name changed to something less derogatory (as the first part of the name is similar to a derogratory term for a certain part of the asian community)

Mind that in Japan, it was named Puck-Man, this was changed for the American version to Pac-Man, so that vandals wouldn't get the idea to change the first letter to something else.