IGNORED

Binary for C64 SID?

I picked up a c64 today with no SID or psu. I figure the PSU is the least of my worries....

Has the SID been dumped so that I don't need to fork out ten bucks (basically what I could get a new c64 for)?

Also, I have heard of PSU's ruining the console, is there a version that is reliable, or would I be better off just making my own?

Has the SID been dumped so that I don't need to fork out ten bucks (basically what I could get a new c64 for)?

"dumped"? The SID isn't an eprom or similar - it's digital and analog circuitry in an IC. If you mean to ask has anyone made a modern replacement for it the answer is yes and no. A few people are working on something but those replacements lack either a part of SID's features like the filters or the people working on them aren't finished yet.

You can run a C64 without one until you find a replacement SID.

Also, I have heard of PSU's ruining the console, is there a version that is reliable, or would I be better off just making my own?

Many of the old brick ones aren't reliable. However, for making your own check either the forums at Lemon 64 or the comp.sys.cbm newsgroup for peoples discussions and own replacement projects for the power supply.

Garak

Edited by Garak

What's going to happen if I run it with no SID? No sound for games and stuff?

Yep, the only thing missing will be sound.

Edit: It's possible some games may freeze depending on what they're attempting with sound code but I don't think you'll have too many problems.

Garak

Edited by Garak

• 2 weeks later...

The SID also controlled a few lines of the joystick ports used for paddle input. Realistically though, not many games used paddles so..

Some depack routines might crash without a SID too.

Before slapping a new SID in there, make sure you have the correct one. I'm guessing you're looking at an older version of the C64 since the chip is socketed, so a 6581 should work. Newer boards used the 8580 which is not voltage-compatible.

• 2 weeks later...

Did you know the SID was missing before you bought it? Because to my knowledge, there really is no secondary source of SID chips out there, which is likely why yours is gone in the first place (it's been "harvested"). You'll probably have to buy a whole new C64.

--Zero

Did you know the SID was missing before you bought it? Because to my knowledge, there really is no secondary source of SID chips out there, which is likely why yours is gone in the first place (it's been "harvested"). You'll probably have to buy a whole new C64.

--Zero

I got it for free when I picked up a five dollar 1040STE. It had no PSU or SID, because the guy took the SID for a SID2SID interface he bought. So I said what they hey and took it. I was actually researching and found it's very easy to convert a c64 to utilize either version of the SID, but I'm still looking to pick up a cheap one, or nab a cheap computer off ebay and have them just yank the SID for me so I can save on shipping. I need to make a solid PSU as well..... Busy busy busy.