IGNORED

PONG!

Fischer500

I just was wondering why was there no PONG for the 2600? It just seems like a good idea. I like Pong, and it works well with paddle controllers. (I assume) I dunno if it was another legal issue with magnavox,(I don't know about that, or if there even WAS an issue, I thought they got into a slap-fight about the original PONG, but I guess they did it too with K.C. Munchkin.). Just a hunch, lol. Oh, and please DON'T say video olympics. please.

I just was wondering why was there no PONG for the 2600? It just seems like a good idea. I like Pong, and it works well with paddle controllers. (I assume) I dunno if it was another legal issue with magnavox,(I don't know about that, or if there even WAS an issue, I thought they got into a slap-fight about the original PONG, but I guess they did it too with K.C. Munchkin.). Just a hunch, lol. Oh, and please DON'T say video olympics. please.

Fine. How about Pong Sports :P

Oh, and please DON'T say video olympics. please.

Why not? Per the manual games 1-8 are PONG.

I was waiting for someone to say that very thing. Video Olympics sucks compared to real Pong. It needs longer paddles, black background, etc. I've always been amazed they didn't just have a true 'Pong' cart. Besides someone hacking their way to a holiday, you can always get yourself a dedicated Pong type unit. My favourite is the Radio Shack Electronic TV Scoreboard. Now that looks, feels, plays, sounds, smells and tastes like Pong! :-)

The Magnavox units are pretty slick too...

Edited by save2600

RAM Pong :)

I saw that game from Thomas - it really works!

A pong-game in the 128 bytes of Atari memory without any cartridge

Cart in Atari - Atari on - remove cart - working....

@Thomas: I WANT one of those! Make some carts!!

Jens

Oh, and please DON'T say video olympics. please.

Why not? Per the manual games 1-8 are PONG.

I was waiting for someone to say that very thing. Video Olympics sucks compared to real Pong. It needs longer paddles, black background, etc.

If this is how Fischer500 feels, then he should have clarified it himself in his first post. In spite of Atari's work on Mindlink, we're not mind readers here ;)

None for Atari look like this though :-(

This one is pretty close ;)

Holy smokes... it is! Even has similar sounds. Fantastic. WTF is up with the stubby paddles all the time though? At least make it a difficulty switch adjustment or something. Just needs longer paddles now and we can all stop bitching :-)

Is this a Pong game that you made?

Edited by save2600

Hm. I really didn't know about all those pong-ISH games, with the exception of vong. and ram pong. but really, why was there no PONG? just plain, simple PONG. y'know, like that old PONG unit thing. I don't get why it wouldn't happen lol, but I guess in way it did... hm.. I still want a normal pong 2600 game though. meh, I'll learn to program eventually.

This one is pretty close ;)

That's really excellent. All it's missing is burn-in. ;)

LOL! Nathan, that's too funny. Phosphor burn in :-) But if your monitor was properly calibrated, the components in tolerance and the H and Z sync's were right on, you wouldn't notice it until you actually turned the system off :-) It *IS* possible to NOT ruin old video game screens kids. Try not using your old arcade game systems as night lights and you'll see what I mean :-) lol

Edited by save2600

I think that an Atari 2600 version of Rebound would be cool.

post-15767-125480315358_thumb.jpg

http://www.klov.com/game_detail.php?game_id=9286

For sure a fun pong game.

Related links...

This guy tried to make an "emulator"...

http://www.ascotti.org/programming/tickle/tickle.htm

And Dice is a good Pong/Rebound/Gotcha simulator.

http://adamulation.blogspot.com/

Edited by user42