IGNORED

PONG!

Fischer500

Hm. I really didn't know about all those pong-ISH games, with the exception of vong. and ram pong. but really, why was there no PONG? just plain, simple PONG. y'know, like that old PONG unit thing. I don't get why it wouldn't happen lol, but I guess in way it did... hm.. I still want a normal pong 2600 game though. meh, I'll learn to program eventually.

I think they saw Video Olympics as their version of Pong, and compared to the other, dedicated pong consoles it's superior, as it has more variations than any of them (although a lot of those aren't fun) and AFAIK this was the first Pong game you could play against the machine (only the simple version). Yet I don't think it was the first one to use another color scheme than white on black.

Edited by Herbarius

Hm. Programming is HARD! I'll keep at it. I WILL make a pong of some sort. maybe... lol HEEHEE!

Hopefully, that's not all talk. I don't think many of us would that project to end up like a certain video game project based on an 80's tv show with that black car in.

Hm. Programming is HARD! I'll keep at it. I WILL make a pong of some sort. maybe... lol HEEHEE!

Hopefully, that's not all talk. I don't think many of us would that project to end up like a certain video game project based on an 80's tv show with that black car in.

Wait... what? I dunno, I guess I just didn't get that statement, lol.

The Atari/Magnavox settlement was made out-of-court, so there isn't any public record about what it entailed (aside from the $700,000 cash, and Magnavox owning the rights to all Atari developments for 1976). Atari appears to have retained the Pong trademark, though, so I don't think there's anything that would have legally kept them from putting out a straight Pong cartridge.

I think it has more to do with the fact that by the time the VCS launched, Pong was already five years old in the arcade, and two years old as a home game. "Pong", as a brand, was old news, and with the launch of the VCS and competing color consoles, another black-and-white pong game would have been a flop with consumers of the day ($20 for a black-and-white pong cartridge when they could buy a brand-new, color, Pong Sports IV standalone for $25?)

Wait... what? I dunno, I guess I just didn't get that statement, lol.

He doesn't want to see yet another video game based on

. ;)