IGNORED

600 XL Hardware problem?

CLI

Wanted to start my old 600 XL the other day :-)

However, ran into problems... :-(

Observations:

* Power diode is ok=red

* Screen on tv / monitor is black. No sound.

* Holding down start button when powering on computer does not give buzzer sound. Nor does tape recorder start when return is pushed

* If game cartridge is put into place screen turns red

Background info, my 600 XL is extended to 64 k. Have checked motherboard, can not see any obvious problems. Have used 'Electronic spray' on memory connectors etc.

Can someone help me with this, I really want to play Sea Dragon and Pole Position again...

Observations:

* Power diode is ok=red

* Holding down start button when powering on computer does not give buzzer sound. Nor does tape recorder start when return is pushed

Background info, my 600 XL is extended to 64 k. Have checked motherboard, can not see any obvious problems. Have used 'Electronic spray' on memory connectors etc.

Can someone help me with this, I really want to play Sea Dragon and Pole Position again...

Try re-seating the OS chip, Basic Chip and The PIA Chip (PIA Chip is the one with The Number 6520 on it in the lower right hand corner of the Board). If that Doesn't work then you could have a bad OS or Basic, Or even a Bad PIA Chip.

Observations:

* Power diode is ok=red

Try re-seating the OS chip, Basic Chip and The PIA Chip (PIA Chip is the one with The Number 6520 on it in the lower right hand corner of the Board). If that Doesn't work then you could have a bad OS or Basic, Or even a Bad PIA Chip.

Just so that I make the right moves this evening, which one is the OS-chip and which one is the Basic chip?

Thx!

Observations:

* Power diode is ok=red

Just so that I make the right moves this evening, which one is the OS-chip and which one is the Basic chip?

Thx!

The OS and the Basic Chip are the 2 chips in the upper right hand corner of the motherboard.

Edited by kjmann

Observations:

* Power diode is ok=red

Thx!

The OS and the Basic Chip are the 2 chips in the upper right hand corner of the motherboard.

Doesn't do the trick unfortunately :-( If I have a bad OS and/or Basic could I simply find another chip and replace it?

Observations:

* Power diode is ok=red

Thx!

Doesn't do the trick unfortunately :-( If I have a bad OS and/or Basic could I simply find another chip and replace it?

Try replacing the PIA first. then the OS. Then Basic.

Observations:

* Power diode is ok=red

Thx!

If you have a (broken) Atari 5200, you can try swapping 6502 or other chips (ANTIC/GTIA/POKEY) from there. OS chips are hard to get-- perhaps write some simple program in a 27128 EPROM and pop it in. Machine should boot fine without BASIC ROM inserted.

The 600xl usually came with the ingot power supply. Those PS go bad and can take the computer with it. I would check the voltage of the PS first for 5V power before digging around the insides of the computer. I had a ingot PS that output over 7V. I was lucky it did not fry the computer it was hooked up to.

I was looking for a service manual for the 800 xl also.. duno where to post..

I bought an 800xl off ebay, the RF is humming.. and it won't do the start / option thing to load tapes.. and the tape deck an xc12 doesn't work..

it hums when you hit play on the tape..

it'll go into the diagnostics, but hhmm dunno where to start.. just not happy with this ebay *cough* , I hate misleading sellers.

it's a nice read, thanks Hias.. I just wondered why it amplified the buzz noise when a tape deck was in..

the keyboard ribbon cable.. I notice one of the silver bits wasn't right at the end.. wonder if that would cause the start / option (on boot) to load games problem.. I mean I can get to the basic problem, but can't boot a game..hhmm

I guess I will have to TOTALLY take it apart

thanks anyway.

I just wondered why it amplified the buzz noise when a tape deck was in..

It could be anything, maybe the tape deck is broken?

the keyboard ribbon cable.. I notice one of the silver bits wasn't right at the end.. wonder if that would cause the start / option (on boot) to load games problem.. I mean I can get to the basic problem, but can't boot a game..hhmm

Yes, this is highly probable. These ribbon cables tend to break quite often and then some keys don't work anymore.

Easiest way to check if the keys are working properly is to enter the Selftest (type "BYE" in BASIC) and start the keyboard test.

so long,

Hias

• 2 weeks later...

Well, if you can't get this particular expansion module working again, keep in mind that it would be very easy to replace it with a pair of 64k x 8 RAM chips (the same ones the XEGS uses); two chips and about three wires can bring your machine up to a full 64K without any kind of daughterboard at all.

You will have to "undo" your present upgrade and restore your machine to a stock configuration first, but it doesn't look like that would be too much work.

I was looking for a service manual for the 800 xl also.. duno where to post..

Have a look at this thread (and look for the postings about the FSM and Sam's Computerfacts):

http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/127483-atari-os-and-hardware-manuals-get-them-here

so long,

Hias

I didn't see any link for 800XL field service manual there.