IGNORED

Atari 5200/7800 adapter?

jonfin826

I know there were plans at one time by Atari to produce a 5200/7800 adapter. I know it was shelved, and I'm wondering why noone has attempted to bring the idea back to life. How difficult would it be to get 5200 games to play on the 7800?

Truthfully, I just really don't want to have to buy a whole other system to play my old 5200 games, especially not one that expensive and spacey. Seriously, the 5200 is ENORMOUS.

That's just alittle upsetting...

Oh well, I'm sure it can be reversed somehow.

No, the "adapter" is just a cut down 7800. If you bought a 5200 adapter that somehow hooked into the 7800 you would basically just be buying another 5200. I'm not sure the 7800 would accept any adapter unless you're talking about the 7800 with the expansion port.

My 7800 has the expansion interface. Perhaps there is a way to make an adapter that would hook up to that?

No you can't. It's a video discs expansion port designed for a Video Disc controller add-on device that was never produced. There is info here on AA all about this.

Allan

"Sighing, Fin got up and left his computer, dissapointment and frustration setting in."

It looks as though I may actually have to buy a 5200. Man... the things are so friggin HUGE, and the only ones selling on Ebay right now are in $100's... I still think that with enough technical know-how and modification, there has to be some way of creating an adapter, but whatever.