IGNORED

HSC Season 7 Week 8: Dig Dug

Ze_ro

Aww yeah, something to aim for.

I had a good run but had to quit at 466K because I had to pee

Stupid yet delicious beer

Found that the game got easier... forgot where. Bad guys were doing instant speed up at the start of the screen, but suddenly it went back the way it was near the beginning of the game. I scored about 300,000 on the last guy. Yeah, I see this getting rolled by at least a couple of players here.

ROLLED IT!!! (WITHOUT USING CONTINUES)

487,270 after losing my first life

Before rolling: 997,300 with no lives in reserve

After rolling: 1,007,530 with one live in reserve (with a special bonus live gained)

FINAL SCORE: 1,019,460

Cool! I guess the next goal is to beat Todd Rogers score.

ROLLED IT!!! (WITHOUT USING CONTINUES)

487,270 after losing my first life

Before rolling: 997,300 with no lives in reserve

After rolling: 1,007,530 with one live in reserve (with a special bonus live gained)

FINAL SCORE: 1,019,460

Cool! I guess the next goal is to beat Todd Rogers score.

Actually, my goal is NOT to beat Todd Rogers score, but reach a score of 1 million points and then spend all my remaining lives.

1,000,000+

post-1544-125548610465_thumb.jpg

post-1544-12554861141_thumb.jpg

I stopped since we don't count anything after a rollover, at least we never did before

If you can reach 600K, you can pretty much roll it as things slow way down.

The monsters ghost immediately but they are in first gear pretty much the rest of the way

My hints:

Contrary to what others say, NEVER approach a Fygar from the side, you will get burned sooner or later and it's not worth the couple hundred extra points to essentially give awayh those lives. The pineapple levels are your goal and you'll need those lives

Monsters only ghost at the edge of a tunnel, when there are two in there at the start of a level, attack from the middle to give yourself some time to run away if they ghost. You can leave a small layer of dirt and still get your pump in there to blow them up.

When things get fast, destroy the closest monsters first, preferably the Fygars. But try and leave two, quickly drop two rocks to get the bonus if you can. Let one escape if necessary.

Don't be greedy. You don't need to get the bonus and the major squish points EVERY TIME. Save it for those levels where the board is set up nicely to do that.

Edited by godzillajoe

Yep, correct on the ruling for rolling it. Which makes sense for this game, because you get an extra guy at 1,000,000... 1,020,000... 1,050,000... and so on up to 1,200,000. So playing forever is rather easy. Just strap on your space diaper and go.

Was interesting about the random maps that I ran into. Thinking that I hit stage 128, then the random generator kicked in. Need a rom hacker to probe the binary and find out for sure.

Yep, correct on the ruling for rolling it. Which makes sense for this game, because you get an extra guy at 1,000,000... 1,020,000... 1,050,000... and so on up to 1,200,000. So playing forever is rather easy. Just strap on your space diaper and go.

Was interesting about the random maps that I ran into. Thinking that I hit stage 128, then the random generator kicked in. Need a rom hacker to probe the binary and find out for sure.

Fired up the Stella debugger and it looks like it stops incrementing when it hits level 128. But anything after that seems to create strange playfields.

And if you just jam random values in there, you get some really weird situations.

post-1544-125549435617_thumb.png

post-1544-125549436231_thumb.png

post-1544-125549454001_thumb.png