IGNORED

Nintendo E-Reader

I posted a thread in the Marketplace area where I said I just found one and some cards tonight:

http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/151914-wsprice-check-nintendo-e-reader-and-nes-game-cards/

Anyone else have one? Used to have one back in the day? Still use one?

And what are the two connectors in the E-Reader for?

I posted a thread in the Marketplace area where I said I just found one and some cards tonight:

http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/151914-wsprice-check-nintendo-e-reader-and-nes-game-cards/

I still have one, I rarely use it because I keep losing the cards :roll: The connector by the cartridge port plugs into an oringinal GBA, and the top port allows passthrough.

Perhaps one of the few reasons I still keep my original GBA around...

I do think it was pretty novel, but finding cards nowadays is tough. I'd like to fill in more of my Animal Crossing and Pokemon E-Reader cards, but it's such a crapshoot when you come across such things.

As far as usage goes... I don't use it often. It's one of those "Nintendo is experimenting" items... like the Virtual Boy. :v]

Hex.

[ Now that someone knows what I want to do... perhaps I can let the project die in the ditch a proper death. ]

I had one. I still have it and occasionally use it, but since Nintendo didn't support it very long there aren't many games for it. And, even back when it was being sold, there was a mentality of "Yet another unsupported accessory by Nintendo". I thought it really stood a chance of being a great way to distribute NES-style games on the cheap, like a precursor to the Virtual Console.

That's okay, Nintendo... I'll stick it right next to my Power Pad, and my Super Scope, and my GBA link cables... :roll:

My Mom bought me one back in the day, around when it was released. I thought it was pretty cool but I eventually got tired of it so I sold my e-Reader and all my cards. I had quite a few, a couple Pokemon cards, several SMB3 cards, some NES cards, a Game & Watch card or two and some other cards like Kirby Slider and an Air Hockey game (IIRC).

I've been thinking of buying another one. =/

Edited by Koopa64

when I bought mine, I was hoping all kinds of serial box tops would start having little games printed on them, or that I could be mailed demos of retail games on postcard. A shame it never happened. It could have been such a marketing tool, if only it had been pushed right.

my favorite title was the single-card air hockey game gamestop was giving away free. I grabbed quite the stack of them.

Edited by Reaperman

I bought one since it was part of a GBA bundle - and the bundle was on sale for about 35 bucks at the time. (At the same time, you could have decided to buy the ereader by itself for like 50.)

My ereader is still sealed however, as are the couple packs of games I bought to go with it.

I thought it was a great experiment and I have every card for it I could find and I keep them in mint condition.

The e-reader works particularly well with the GameBoy Player hooked up to a GameCube for some big screen fun. We had some family fun playing the Mario e-ready card game as well.

But eventually it ended up being a novelty and it collects dust somewhere in a bin down in the basement. To be honest, it was too much work to hook up and slide the cards through to play a quick game.

I have one somewhere in my bedroom. I thought it was kickass when it came out and that it was a shame Nintendo didn't make more of an effort to support it. Sounds like the sentiments of a number of people here :P

Yeah but... like I said, even when it first launched Nintendo didn't seem to be pushing it as a long-term product. I still wanted one, but at least I didn't feel lied to when card games stopped being released.

Hell yeah I own one, and I love it. It's a little....er....lot bulky. But hell, I knew that going. I bought it, cause it would be cool to play all those classic NES games on the go (and for cheap, they were what, like $5-$10?) I got the first ten of the games, but somehow missed out on the last three games. Wasn't a fan of Pokemon, but I got a lot of cards (and those useually had a game you could play without a bunch of cards) I thought Super Mario Bros 3 was canned, I remember the big ass fiasco when SMB3 came out and it had no eReader support (and boy were people pissed, as that was one if it's biggest selling points) but it sounds like there may have been some released after all? That would be cool to come by.

And yeah, I'm with a lot of other people here, I was anticipating games coming with an Ereader card (or set) that is just a demo of a future GBA game, or maybe just a bonus game or level or whatever.

I never saw it as to inconvenient, I mean, it let you load one full game into memory, and save it, and you could load a second full game and play it, without deleting the old game...Sure it's not as pick up and play swapable as a cart would be, but the general Idea was different from that anyways. Short of having WAY to little memory (like 64k, or maybe 128, don't remember, but it's small enough the vast majority of NES games won't load on it, despite it being a built in NES emulator) it was actually pretty ingeniously designed..

There's still a lot you can do with it, I wonder if there's a homebrew field for it (I mean, you can't prevent people from printing their own games when it can be run off a dot matrix instead of a rom cart :P ) It's actually opened up now, so you can print your own cards, maybe just a greeting or something would be cool, but if you know enough about the NES and don't need much memory, you can really do stuff with it.

Anyhow, I was sad, but not really surprised when the plug was pulled on it. I saw that coming, it was like VB in a way, it was released, just kinda thrown out there like Nintendo was saying "here you go, more shit with our name on it for you to buy" I was kinda hoping interest would stay up, or increase, but eh...sadly it never did.

Anyhow, I got one, got the first ten games, looking for the last 3, and a second unit, and other than that, gotta say I love it, it's a neat piece of niche hardware that I figure will gain a fairly large cult following in the future, so it'll be well worth owning for anyone, just don't expect to much.

Yeah I dig e-Reader. I made sure to get most of the NES games for it, the promo Kirby slide game, etc. I even got all the SMB3 cards, including the exclusive Walmart only set that was super hard to find at the time and can't be any more common now. SMB3 support was the main reason to get this for me. Extra levels for Mario 3 was a big selling point! Really cool idea, that sadly didn't take off. Rarely use it now, but I definitely like having it around and I got into it at the right time when everything was in good shape and available still