IGNORED

Cave Ropes

Animan

After having to (melodramatically) kill off Tower Zone, i decided to work on something new. And, despite High School being a major time killer, i was still able to shell out some free time, and in that spare time, i put together this: Cave Ropes.

The goal is simple: Catch all the diamonds, or game over.

Hold left or right to go through the three different ropes (It'll make sense when you try it)

Fire button pushes diamond up

Down pulls diamond down

Without further due, screenshots and Binary!

post-23192-125527700574_thumb.png

post-23192-125527701299_thumb.png

Edited by Animan

(For some reason, I can't use the full editor.)

Until the problem is fixed, check out this tip:

http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/150704-editing-posts/page__view__findpost__p__1840645

You can get to the full editor by doing this:

1. Switch to Lo-Fi mode.
    _
  2. Click the Edit link at the bottom of the post you want to edit.
    _
  3. Switch back to AtariAge mode and you should have the full editor sitting there.

Works that way with Firefox anyway.

(For some reason, I can't use the full editor.)

Until the problem is fixed, check out this tip:

http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/150704-editing-posts/page__view__findpost__p__1840645

You can get to the full editor by doing this:

1. Switch to Lo-Fi mode.
    _
  2. Click the Edit link at the bottom of the post you want to edit.
    _
  3. Switch back to AtariAge mode and you should have the full editor sitting there.

Works that way with Firefox anyway.

OK, i'll try that soon.

I can see some potential in this game. Don't let my suggestions change the way you want to create your game, these are just some ideas that pop up in my mind when I look at this game.

Suggestions:

1) currently it's too fast from the start, maybe slowing it down or just 1 diamond at a time.

2) I think the control should be changed a little, instead of depending on joystick position, the player could jump from rope to rope upon a joystick press. IE: you're on the left rope, then press right, you jump to the middle rope.

3) if possible, make the player square a Panama Joe/Indiana Jones type sprite instead of just a square.

4) maybe instead of controlling the rate at which the diamonds fall, control the player climbing up/down the ropes. Diamonds worth 10-100 points each, climbing up is worth 1 point per step. Sliding down the ropes to try to catch a diamond deducts 1 point or so per step.

5) in addition to caching diamonds, you could also have enemies on the ropes that you'd have to avoid.

Something about this kind of reminds me of the last screen in Montezuma's Revenge, where you grabbed as much treasure as you could before the walls closed in and killed you. This seems like a vertical cave or well type scenario that's similar, maybe get out of the cave before the lava or water rises type game.

But this is all just my imagination running wild, so disregard my ramblings if they don't suit you. :)

• 10 years later...

We'll be checking out Cave Ropes on tomorrow's (Tue Aug 11) ZeroPage Homebrew stream LIVE on Twitch at 6PM PT | 9PM ET | 1AM GMT! Hope everyone can watch!

Games:

(SET VIDEO TO 1080P60 FOR FULL QUALITY)

Edited by ZeroPage Homebrew