IGNORED

The Last Word 3.0 Official Release

flashjazzcat

No problem Claus, and thanks. ;)

Just adding the finishing touches to LW 3.01, but I'm taking my time because there are a few design considerations I want to mull over for another day or two. Tinkerers will probably enjoy the large collection of macros, which will hopefully demystify the macro programming language somewhat (I'd love to see that side of the program used more widely). There's also a set of printer drivers.

Tinkerers will probably enjoy the large collection of macros, which will hopefully demystify the macro programming language somewhat (I'd love to see that side of the program used more widely).

TIP: for Bookmark

If you are above the bookmark the book mark will be displayed on the bottom of screen.

If you are below the bookmark the book mark will be displayed on the top of the screen.

So I have been doing a 'CNTL+E' to go to end of text, and then preform the GOTO bookmark.

For my uses I think GOTO book mark looks neater displaying on the top of screen.

Looking forward to the Macro collection. I need to be demystified. I would even like to have a macro maker program.

TIP: for Bookmark

If you are above the bookmark the book mark will be displayed on the bottom of screen.

If you are below the bookmark the book mark will be displayed on the top of the screen.

So I have been doing a 'CNTL+E' to go to end of text, and then preform the GOTO bookmark.

For my uses I think GOTO book mark looks neater displaying on the top of screen.

Looking forward to the Macro collection. I need to be demystified. I would even like to have a macro maker program.

The bookmarks turn up in those positions purely because of the way the cursor scrolls to the target. Personally I think it would look best in the middle of the screen, but I don't have room to implement fancy scrolling functions ATM. icon_smile.gif I really do welcome these design recommendations, though (and I'm noting them for future versions of the software). As it happens, I'm already robbing a page of memory from the unbanked macro buffer to implement the double-speed screen redraw routine. I think that's a much more important upgrade.

The macro collection includes macros which do things like save all edited (unsaved) banks of text to disk, clear all banks, add bullet points to all lines in a selected block of text, number lists, etc. There are also "extension" programs to accomplish things not possible from inside macros, such as loading a disk directory into the editor and sorting all the lines in a block of text. It would be quite easy to write an extension which acts like a macro "recorder", storing all keystrokes in a named macro. This would only record simple text strings, however. It's necessary to learn the macro language in order to write programs which actually perform decision-making tasks.

Edited by flashjazzcat
  • Like 1

The macro collection includes macros which do things like save all edited (unsaved) banks of text to disk, clear all banks, add bullet points to all lines in a selected block of text, number lists, etc. There are also "extension" programs to accomplish things not possible from inside macros, such as loading a disk directory into the editor and sorting all the lines in a block of text. It would be quite easy to write an extension which acts like a macro "recorder", storing all keystrokes in a named macro. This would only record simple text strings, however. It's necessary to learn the macro language in order to write programs which actually perform decision-making tasks.

I have been doing some text tiding working from the 'H' drive and occasionally I read in a text that has PC eols. Question, is there a way to find and replace chrs hex 10 and 13 with the atari eol 155? I have been able to replace with other characters like space or period, but not 155.

TIA

I have been doing some text tiding working from the 'H' drive and occasionally I read in a text that has PC eols. Question, is there a way to find and replace chrs hex 10 and 13 with the atari eol 155? I have been able to replace with other characters like space or period, but not 155.

Here is a drag-and-drop PC utility by "Raster" that will convert line feeds in both directions:

Dratex

Here is a drag-and-drop PC utility by "Raster" that will convert line feeds in both directions:

Dratex

It's easy to do in the LW editor, too. Cursor to the start of an ASCII 10/13 pair, press <CTRL+M> to start marking text, move the selection across the two characters with the cursor, then press <CTRL+O> to copy the two characters to the paste buffer. Press <SHIFT+Esc> to cancel the selection, then type <CTRL+G> for global replace. In the "Find" field, press <CTRL+B> to paste in the 10/13 pair you just copied, then press <Enter>. Now, in "Change to", press <SHIFT+Esc>, then press <Enter> twice. This will set the change string to ATASCII 155. Choose "Replace all" and the program will rip through the text, changing all the LF/CRs to return characters.

...nice utility Paul, by the way! icon_smile.gif

Still working on the faster version of LW: it's nearly done, but I'm busy fixing a dead laptop too. There were still many optimisations possible in LW; I rewrote the code that does wraparound shifting of the dynamic display lists and screen ram tables on paper during my break on Friday and when I got home and coded it up, it was 100 bytes shorter than the old code and faster too.

Edited by flashjazzcat

3.01 update is finished and will be released on Saturday. I've had very little time to work on it this week, hence the delay, which turned out to be provident because I found and corrected a few more bugs. 3.01 will ship with a selection of extensions, which are basically plug-ins. There's a calculator, disk directory capture, calculator, and line sorting command. I've also just finished the icon menu extension, which looks pretty good:

LW 3.01 Icon Menu.wmv

This release is really going to be everything 3.0 should have been, with a proper selection of support files, drivers, macros, etc. :)

3.01 update is finished and will be released on Saturday. I've had very little time to work on it this week, hence the delay, which turned out to be provident because I found and corrected a few more bugs. 3.01 will ship with a selection of extensions, which are basically plug-ins. There's a calculator, disk directory capture, calculator, and line sorting command. I've also just finished the icon menu extension, which looks pretty good:

LW 3.01 Icon Menu.wmv

This release is really going to be everything 3.0 should have been, with a proper selection of support files, drivers, macros, etc. :)

Icons look awesome!

Stephen Anderson

Icons look awesome!

Glad you like them. I lost the source code for all the extensions (originally written in 1999 for the old version of LW), so I had to reverse enginner them and amend them to work with 3.01. Still quicker than starting from scratch, though! Just ironed out the last few bugs in the icon bar: off to the pub now. Should get the update released tomorrow - all being well. :)

Sorry about the delay with this update if anyone's wondering where it is. VBXE stole my attention for a couple of days. :) I'm using LW to write some extra documents for the release disk just to make certain it's 100%. I'd rather live with the final build myself for a few days than release it prematurely only to find another bug. It will be out in a couple of days depending on how much spare time I get (and there isn't much of that at the moment!).

I finally tried this and it is awesome!!

I don't have enough desk space to have all my PC boxes and classic computers set up at once; I finally put the Commie stuff away and hooked up my 800XL and SIO2PC. This was one of the first things I was wanting to try!

It's an interesting blend of technology to configure the APE P: device to use your Adobe PDF printer device and pop up a PDF of what you just typed on your 800XL!!

What would be cool is to be able to print this (on your PC's inket or laser) in the old dot-matrix look. Perhaps they already have such Windows fonts - I have never looked.

I can't remember the last time I fired up an 8-bit word processor. Typing a letter with white-on-blue A8 letters on a fishbowl CRT certainly brings back memories!!

Thanks! Excellent work!

Thanks for the comments. :) I was THIS close to releasing LW 3.01 tonight but I discovered a tiny cosmetic bug at the last minute (the last line of a document could periodically vanish if not terminated with a return) which I had to fix. So I'll recompile the extensions tomorrow after work and upload the finished package. I was so near but I've just run out of time tonight.

I've been testing the new version on real hardware tonight and it just flies along. I was also musing over the VBXE2 version of LW at work today and it looks pretty tantalising: we immediately save about 14K on display RAM and code, so we'll be looking at a 32K main text buffer for a kick-off...

It's easy to do in the LW editor, too. Cursor to the start of an ASCII 10/13 pair, press <CTRL+M> to start marking text, move the selection across the two characters with the cursor, then press <CTRL+O> to copy the two characters to the paste buffer. Press <SHIFT+Esc> to cancel the selection, then type <CTRL+G> for global replace. In the "Find" field, press <CTRL+B> to paste in the 10/13 pair you just copied, then press <Enter>. Now, in "Change to", press <SHIFT+Esc>, then press <Enter> twice. This will set the change string to ATASCII 155. Choose "Replace all" and the program will rip through the text, changing all the LF/CRs to return characters.

Thanks for this info.icon_smile.gif

I now have my 600xl working with s-video and can view my atari screen on my LCD TV looks very good with the square font. To get the best character definition with Last Word I reset my screen colors 'CTRL+K' and decided on a white backgound and white border with black text and prompt. This gives the screen a very readable 80 character text.

One side note:icon_neutral.gif when viewing the text with 'CTRL+V' the pagination and Press a Key prompt is not visible.

Look forward to the next release. And macro, addin information.