IGNORED

Another Reason Pole Position Should've Been Released for the CV...

it looks very nice. The grey tile box when you go over the dotted line,side rails or grass gotta go though. I think your going to have to use sprites for the car.

I analized it in photoshop and your widest sprite woould be about 80 pixels so more than 4 sprites wide though so even then you would need to either shrink it or strobe 1 of the sprites.

Perhaps a moving block of red that is the main car body in tiles and then 2 rows of 4 sprites (in a 4 sprites wide 2 sprites down) 64x32 area to add the wheels and some detail.

part tiles

tiles part

part sprites

sprites part

combined

combined

so it would overlap the background much better like this.

pole concept

updated a bit more (up and down changes gear, some text in different colours like from the arcade version)

• Like 1

@digress thanks for your ideas and contributions! :) (everything is very valuable in an collaborative process)

Actually the tough part of developing this port is that we need to think about the game logic as a whole, and the opponents are also a critical situation to be consider (for example, if they are all sprite based, they might be x2 zoomed, and be 4 placed side by side, which overlaps the sprites usage on the player car) - and not mentioning that i'm trying to fit the most i can into 32kb, and getting at least a working simulation demo of the game (i want to see how some idea of curves, circuit and opponents would work)

My main concern about this port is to provide almost the same feeling as from the arcade version, otherwise it might result in another ti994a-like version... :S

And about visual glitches in a game, i'm a bit suspicious about because i’m a huge fan of glitch art! :D - and there are games that i really love, like the arcade version of Galaxy Force, which glitches provides a special “je ne sais quoi” into it! :D

Edited by nitrofurano

• 9 months later...

It might be interesting to take a peek at what RasmusM has pulled off over on the TI side:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hdYd_1-Coo

This is running on the TMS9918A (despite the F18A in the name, it's not using the F18A. Demo2 shows what the F18A can do, but demo 3 and 4 are stock ;) ). It does use over 128k for the road patterns, though. ;)

Anyway, he's got an old discussion thread here, which describes how:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/251540-never-ending-discussion-about-f18a-was-formula-18a9918a-development/page-2

Edited by Tursi
  • Like 2

• 2 years later...