IGNORED

Tooth Protectors Cart and Manual Selling Quote

the_xman

Based on what Condor Attack got with manual, and being advertised pretty good, I would say $100 to $130. The market for unboxed stuff, even with manuals is down.

I don't think you can base your assumptions on what other titles have recently achieved. Market conditions are but one factor. The last few copies of this game that i am aware of that sold with manual (in the last few months) went for between $160 and $199. I dont follow all auctions, so maybe there were some more recent that sold for less. Maybe Zwackery or one of the others can shed some light.

Based on what Condor Attack got with manual, and being advertised pretty good, I would say $100 to $130. The market for unboxed stuff, even with manuals is down.

I don't think you can base your assumptions on what other titles have recently achieved. Market conditions are but one factor. The last few copies of this game that i am aware of that sold with manual (in the last few months) went for between $160 and $199. I dont follow all auctions, so maybe there were some more recent that sold for less. Maybe Zwackery or one of the others can shed some light.

I would say $125-$200. Typically though you would expect $150-$200. I personally would pay $125 for it just for added exposure for my eBay store.

toymailman had one on eBay back in July, cart & manual (and the manual had a stain on the front and some tape residue or something) and it got a BIN of $174.95. This reflects the downward trend JC is indicating on the atari2600.com price guide. The manual definitely makes this a more attractive package. It's tough to say right now, the market has been behaving strangely. You might get a bit less than $175 or it could go over, but probably not by much.

BTW, that Hozer guy has been getting $20-30 a pop for his repros of this title. I'd like to know if those are buyers who are just plain ignorant, rationalizing a cheap repro purchase over the more expensive real deal, or biding their time playing a repro until the real deal comes along.

• Like 1

toymailman had one on eBay back in July, cart & manual (and the manual had a stain on the front and some tape residue or something) and it got a BIN of $174.95. This reflects the downward trend JC is indicating on the atari2600.com price guide. The manual definitely makes this a more attractive package. It's tough to say right now, the market has been behaving strangely. You might get a bit less than $175 or it could go over, but probably not by much.

BTW, that Hozer guy has been getting $20-30 a pop for his repros of this title. I'd like to know if those are buyers who are just plain ignorant, rationalizing a cheap repro purchase over the more expensive real deal, or biding their time playing a repro until the real deal comes along.

That was 3 months ago. You know when I saw the Condor Attack with manual I was positive it would go over $300. Never in a million years could I see a Condor Attack with manual go for under $200. Yet it went for $165 shipped. I just don't see how Tooth Protectors is going to sell for more than this game. Tooth Protectors is actually a lot more common than Condor Attack.

eBay Auction -- Item Number: 1104418255961?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=110441825596&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

That was 3 months ago. You know when I saw the Condor Attack with manual I was positive it would go over $300. Never in a million years could I see a Condor Attack with manual go for under $200. Yet it went for $165 shipped. I just don't see how Tooth Protectors is going to sell for more than this game. Tooth Protectors is actually a lot more common than Condor Attack.

eBay Auction -- Item Number: 1104418255961?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=110441825596&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

The OP was asking for a quote. That's what I gave him. When he lists it on eBay, then everyone will know if it sells for more than Condor Attack...in this particular instance.

Given the background of Tooth Protectors as a mail order cart compared to Condor Attack, however more obscure and/or valuable it might be, Tooth Protectors might have a greater perceived value.

Might I suggest that, given the overall downward trend of loose carts now for several years, your continued surprise at the low price of games is strained to the point of credibility.

Let carts become cheap and plentiful, I say. More people might enjoy them as games rather than getting all wrapped up in their supposed value.

The OP was asking for a quote. That's what I gave him. When he lists it on eBay, then everyone will know if it sells for more than Condor Attack...in this particular instance.

Given the background of Tooth Protectors as a mail order cart compared to Condor Attack, however more obscure and/or valuable it might be, Tooth Protectors might have a greater perceived value.

Might I suggest that, given the overall downward trend of loose carts now for several years, your continued surprise at the low price of games is strained to the point of credibility.

Let carts become cheap and plentiful, I say. More people might enjoy them as games rather than getting all wrapped up in their supposed value.

I always get surprised because of the great fall Atari 2600 has taken as a hobby. I always think that the rock bottom has hit, and then I get surprised again. Also it's just not Condor Attack that is low. Freak Glib with manual can't get more than $100 anymore. At the moment I have to say that the July sale of this game was an aberration when you compare this game to similar extremely rare games. If someone can get $150 for Tooth Protectors with a manual I will happily admit I am wrong. I just don't think I am wrong on this.

As far as the prices. Here is my surprise. You think that a rock bottom is about to happen, and then you find out that the prices keep falling. I guess it's the lack of a rock bottom on loose prices and loose with manual that keeps surprising me.

One more thing. These price drops really don't effect me. Over the past 2 years I sold basically most of my super valuable stuff, and believe it or not I actually made a profit. So miraculously the downturn did not hurt me.

I do believe that this downward cycle has to end at some point. I believe that in 2019 prices for these things will be much, much, much higher than they are now. But hey I believed that in 2009 that prices would be higher than they were in 2001.

Also one more thing. If people just payed money to enjoy a game we would have no games over $50. Most games that are good are plentiful and cheap, and most games that are super rare I.E. the super pricey stuff sucks to no end. People are not paying over $100 for a tooth protectors because it's a great game.

I always get surprised because of the great fall Atari 2600 has taken as a hobby. I always think that the rock bottom has hit, and then I get surprised again. Also it's just not Condor Attack that is low. Freak Glib with manual can't get more than $100 anymore. At the moment I have to say that the July sale of this game was an aberration when you compare this game to similar extremely rare games. If someone can get $150 for Tooth Protectors with a manual I will happily admit I am wrong. I just don't think I am wrong on this.

As far as the prices. Here is my surprise. You think that a rock bottom is about to happen, and then you find out that the prices keep falling. I guess it's the lack of a rock bottom on loose prices and loose with manual that keeps surprising me.

One more thing. These price drops really don't effect me. Over the past 2 years I sold basically most of my super valuable stuff, and believe it or not I actually made a profit. So miraculously the downturn did not hurt me.

I do believe that this downward cycle has to end at some point. I believe that in 2019 prices for these things will be much, much, much higher than they are now. But hey I believed that in 2009 that prices would be higher than they were in 2001.

Also one more thing. If people just payed money to enjoy a game we would have no games over $50. Most games that are good are plentiful and cheap, and most games that are super rare I.E. the super pricey stuff sucks to no end. People are not paying over $100 for a tooth protectors because it's a great game.

As I've said above, the last few have sold over $150, so that's the best quote we can ive. What happens to Condor Attack may or may not be related to what will happen to this title. Currently, the last 3 sold have gone for over $150, so that's the best indication we can currently give.

I accidently bought a Hozer fake of this 'cause the seller had it at a $125 bin, so I thought it was real. Boy was I pissed and embarrassed when I got it and it was a POS inket repro. At least the seller is taking it back.

Yep.. I think the price has gone down on Tooth Protector. Quite a few other games as well.

Guardian is one of those games that seemed to drop in price as well.

A lot of Rarity 9s and 8s have gone done in price. The exception: The high profile games. Stuff like Waterworld, Qubes, CTCW...etc.

On the flip side of this conversation... look at some of the mediocre titles and Rarity 5 and 6 games that are going for much higher prices now.

Threshold gets more attention now. Snoopy is more expensive as is a lot of others like Atari Video Cube and Rubix Cube.

There are quite a few rarity 5-7 games that have doubled their prices over the past two years. At least from what I have seen and based off of what I need for my collection.

Truth of the whole matter with the more sought after games is. You just do not know what it will sell for. Tradition cannot be relied upon anymore. It doesn't matter if the seller has 100% feedback or 95%. If someone wants it more than another it will go high. If it is the wrong time for some reason it will go low. Over exposure of a certain game seems to make the price drop and the repros showing up on eBay isn't helping the matter at all. Some think, "I just saw a Pepsi Invaders with a nice label last week." Then a real one pops up two days later and it seems to kill the value. (Just a senario) One thing you can definitely count on is that you will never know until the auction is over. If you want somehing to use a a guide then you can use the price guide at atari2600.com Some will argue but it's within range.

• Like 1

Truth of the whole matter with the more sought after games is. You just do not know what it will sell for. Tradition cannot be relied upon anymore. It doesn't matter if the seller has 100% feedback or 95%. If someone wants it more than another it will go high. If it is the wrong time for some reason it will go low. Over exposure of a certain game seems to make the price drop and the repros showing up on eBay isn't helping the matter at all. Some think, "I just saw a Pepsi Invaders with a nice label last week." Then a real one pops up two days later and it seems to kill the value. (Just a senario) One thing you can definitely count on is that you will never know until the auction is over. If you want somehing to use a a guide then you can use the price guide at atari2600.com Some will argue but it's within range.

I can agree with just about everything mentioned here.

And... I still think that Atari2600.com priceguide is fairly accurate. Not perfect, but a good representation of what ebay sales have been lately (and other sales are added, if I recall correctly). Some sales are missed, but that is to be expected. I think Tooth Protectors is a Sub $100 cart at this point. Seamonster appears to be that range as well. It was never on my radar before, but it has appeared quite a bit recently. (or at least from what I have seen)

The market is skewed. I would decide on a price unless it's a fire sale. If I wanted to sell similar, I would probably price it as minimum or reserve of $150 and BIN of $185. If I was hungry I would go $125/$175. If I was starving, I would go reserve of $100 with a BIN of $150. If I wanted it to sit, I would go $175/$225. Assuming the condition on both is excellent.

If you use CTCW, protect your self with a min or reserve. There is a chance that the right buyer won't have looked there that week, since the market is relatively smaller. And there is a chance that it wouldn't sell at a $125 min.

Worst that can happen is that you hang onto it to sell it another day.

• 2 months later...

One just sold for $140 in the Netherlands. Once you take into account the increased cost of shipping, its more like $150

Plus the auction didnt get as much exposure as it was based in the Netherlands

eBay Auction -- Item Number: 2605304542321?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=260530454232&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

I still maintain this is a $150+ cart

Seems like prices are always fixed for you. Tooth Protectors has not sold for awhile, so I agree at the moment it is a $150 cart. Prices are always fluctuating from one moment to the next.

Seems like prices are always fixed for you.

Nope, this is one of the few titles that looks to be hovering around the same price for quite a while now.

I believe 95% of NTSC games prices have been and still are spiralling downward. A few are remaining constant (for the moment) and a few are defying the trend and increasing substantially. The story is different in PAL land where about 80% of the stuff is at saturation point (and thus prices remain constantly low) and the remaining 20% have been steadily increasing over the last 2 years.

The market is skewed. I would decide on a price unless it's a fire sale. If I wanted to sell similar, I would probably price it as minimum or reserve of $150 and BIN of $185. If I was hungry I would go $125/$175. If I was starving, I would go reserve of $100 with a BIN of $150. If I wanted it to sit, I would go $175/$225. Assuming the condition on both is excellent.

If you use CTCW, protect your self with a min or reserve. There is a chance that the right buyer won't have looked there that week, since the market is relatively smaller. And there is a chance that it wouldn't sell at a $125 min.

Worst that can happen is that you hang onto it to sell it another day.

Put it on GameGavel and I will start the bidding at $125 :) Was this already listed somewhere? Just now remembering this is an old thread.

Edited by Parrothead

I would have a very hard time selling my Tooth Protectors with manual for less than $150, although $175 would be the ideal selling price for myself. Fortunately for myself, I was able to find TP w/manual in a boxed Atari lot at Goodwill a few years ago.

Seems like prices are always fixed for you.

Nope, this is one of the few titles that looks to be hovering around the same price for quite a while now.

I believe 95% of NTSC games prices have been and still are spiralling downward. A few are remaining constant (for the moment) and a few are defying the trend and increasing substantially. The story is different in PAL land where about 80% of the stuff is at saturation point (and thus prices remain constantly low) and the remaining 20% have been steadily increasing over the last 2 years.

Well since September Atari 2600 prices have actually increased somewhat for NTSC games despite what your perception may tell you. Yes, I get the Christmas time thing, but they have increased from this period of time last year to this year.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

A Tooth Protector with instructions just went for $375 on eBay.

eBay Auction -- Item Number: 2506543957251?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=250654395725&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

Remember, this cart never came with a box.

I'm going to hold on to mine for awhile.

Wow, that is a ton of money for this game. Yep, I was wrong about Tooth Protectors only being worth $150 with manual. Times have definitely changed on a piece like this. By the way, there was a styrofoam container that came with Tooth Protectors as well. If I am not mistaken there was a Tooth Protectors sticker on top of the container to keep the Tooth Protectors game in place. If you have that than you are sitting on a gold mine.