IGNORED

Deal Alert!

cimerians

For any Burnout fans out there: All DLC is on sale. Basically all the DLC in one package for 20 bucks. (Inlcudes the Island and Cops and Robbers).

Haven't checked Xboxlive to see if its on sale there...

Speaking of DLC (or the lack thereof) Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2 is 20 bucks for all systems on Amazons Deal of the Day:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/redirect.html?ie=UTF8&location=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.amazon.com%2Fgp%2Ffeature.html%3Fie%3DUTF8%26ref_%3Dvg%5Fnav%5Fhp%5Fdotd%26docId%3D1000208101&tag=atariage&linkCode=ur2&camp=1789&creative=390957

• 3 weeks later...

Penny Arcade Adventures episodes 1&2 are bundled for $15 on PSN. They are normally $15 per episode, which I thought was outrageous. For $7.50 per episode I bit. I am just starting episode 1. It is absolutely only for a mature player. I read that Ron Gilbert of Leisure Suit Larry fame had a hand in it.

Penny Arcade Adventures episodes 1&2 are bundled for $15 on PSN. They are normally $15 per episode, which I thought was outrageous. For $7.50 per episode I bit. I am just starting episode 1. It is absolutely only for a mature player. I read that Ron Gilbert of Leisure Suit Larry fame had a hand in it.

Oh boy....

I think you may have gotten Ron Gilbert mixed up with someone else. Ron Gilbert was the guy that created some of the best adventure games ever. Maniac Mansion, Secret of Monkey Island and of course the engine that ran all of the classic Lucasarts Adventures. The SCUMM engine.

Ron Gilbert is god.

Cimerians,

You got me. I was thinking of Al Lowe. BUT, Penny Arcade Adventures are geared towards the mature audience, just like Al Lowe's games were. Ron Gilbert was involved with the development of the Penny series.

But still, I have found the first episode entertaining so far. I am happy with my $15 investment and I am about a quarter the way through it (half way through Episode one).

El

Cimerians,

You got me. I was thinking of Al Lowe. BUT, Penny Arcade Adventures are geared towards the mature audience, just like Al Lowe's games were. Ron Gilbert was involved with the development of the Penny series.

But still, I have found the first episode entertaining so far. I am happy with my $15 investment and I am about a quarter the way through it (half way through Episode one).

El

Oh yeah totally, I bought them too for $15 bucks. I never wanted to pay the amount they were asking for individually. Great games!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

God of War III on sale for $36.99 free shipping + 10 dollar credit.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002VFPHKA?ie=UTF8&tag=dtsmithdotd-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B002VFPHKA

One of the best games I've ever played along with Ultima, Zelda, Uncharted, Final Fantasy 8, Donkey Kong, Mario etc....

Sit back and enjoy the ride.

• 1 month later...

Now that I hung a hi-def LCD screen down in the basement, am tempted at getting a PS3 - but only if someone can confirm my suspicions are correct:

Playing PS2 games on the PS3, does a PS3 upscale ALL of the games to be progressive scan? I'm thinking in theory, that the video output of a PS3 would be superior to that of the PS2. Games that do not allow progressive scan output on an LCD simply look mediocre and worse than a CRT.

Edited by save2600

Now that I hung a hi-def LCD screen down in the basement, am tempted at getting a PS3 - but only if someone can confirm my suspicions are correct:

Playing PS2 games on the PS3, does a PS3 upscale ALL of the games to be progressive scan? I'm thinking in theory, that the video output of a PS3 would be superior to that of the PS2. Games that do not allow progressive scan output on an LCD simply look mediocre and worse than a CRT.

It's been awhile since I fiddled with it, but I think there are three different ways you can upscale and you can also turn it off.

Tempest

It's been awhile since I fiddled with it, but I think there are three different ways you can upscale and you can also turn it off.

Using a PS3 you mean? And before anyone asks, yes - I have component cables for the PS2. Unfortunately, the LCD only has DVI, but I have an HDMI to DVI cable. Heck, I'm not even sure if the PS3 uses a regular HDMI cable for its video and sound. Guess I'd assume it uses some proprietary cabling system come to think of it, which would be typical AND lame at the same time. lol

Edited by save2600

Using a PS3 you mean?

Correct. There are a few options like double scaling, regular scaling, and off IIRC.

Tempest

Heck, I'm not even sure if the PS3 uses a regular HDMI cable for its video and sound. Guess I'd assume it uses some proprietary cabling system come to think of it, which would be typical AND lame at the same time. lol

standard hdmi out the back as far as I've seen, as well as the standard psx a/v jack for other outputs. I personally don't use my HDMI for audio (monitor lacks a speaker) but I've seen the option for it in the menu.

Edited by Reaperman

standard hdmi out the back as far as I've seen, as well as the standard psx a/v jack for other outputs. I personally don't use my HDMI for audio (monitor lacks a speaker) but I've seen the option for it in the menu.

Thanks Reaperman, good to know. The output I've seen in stores demonstrated looks excellent. Must be HDMI. Glad they incorporated that connector for their games as well as movies. Wasn't long ago at all where outputs were separated functionally and feature wise.

My PS3 is connected via HDMI to my TV (standard HDMI cable, using it for both audio and video), and PS2 games get displayed with the TV in 1080p mode.

Using a PS3 you mean?

Correct. There are a few options like double scaling, regular scaling, and off IIRC.

Tempest

I just popped .hack//G.U. Vol. 1 into both my PS3 and PS2 (S-video connection, so 480i), connected to the same TV, to compare them. The options on the PS3 for PS2 game display are Upscaling (Off/Normal/Full Screen) and Smoothing (Off/On). I forgot to see what Upscaling Off is (I normally have it on Normal), but I think it uses the middle 480 of the 1080 lines, so you end up with a pretty small screen. Upscaling Normal has the image filling most of the screen height; I'd guess it's doubling the image dimensions to 960 lines. Upscaling Full Screen stretches the Normal image horizontally to fill the whole width. For all 3 Upscaling modes, the image signal remains at 1080p. As for Smoothing, I didn't really see much difference with it on and off, though I think it may do some slight anti-aliasing. Incidentally, both these options can be changed during gameplay, so it's not hard to compare them.

Flipping back and forth between the PS2 and PS3 inputs on the TV, on the same shot in the game (not a static, paused shot, but rather a shot with the characters idling in the foreground, waiting for me to do something), I honestly didn't see too much difference. The PS3 image didn't fill the full screen height, but it did seem to have richer colors. In both images, though, there was visible aliasing. My opinion is that the main advantage of playing PS2 games on the PS3 is the hard drive space; no more 8-MB memory cards. Secondary advantage is widescreen capability for games that support it (since I didn't have PS2 component cables).

You're aware that currently sold PS3s are not PS2-compatible, right? My model is one of the software-compatible ones, from the MGS4 bundle (i.e., it emulates one of the PS2's CPU/GPU, rather than having both chips on the motherboard). There are a few compatibility issues with mine, such as random ~20-second freezes in Shadow Hearts: Covenant and permanent freezing at a specific point in Gradius V. Of course, all PS3s, including current models, can play PS1 games.

onmode-ky

You're aware that currently sold PS3s are not PS2-compatible, right? My model is one of the software-compatible ones, from the MGS4 bundle (i.e., it emulates one of the PS2's CPU/GPU, rather than having both chips on the motherboard). There are a few compatibility issues with mine, such as random ~20-second freezes in Shadow Hearts: Covenant and permanent freezing at a specific point in Gradius V. Of course, all PS3s, including current models, can play PS1 games.

onmode-ky

Wow - thanks for all that info! Yes, I had read that the new PS3's are not compatible - but I was thinking about purchasing one of the older fat models. Weird why they choose to remain PS1 compatible, but not PS2. That pesky gross margin probably getting in the way. If the aliasing artifacts are still present though between the two models (thanks for your honest comparison), I guess I shall remain happy with my PS2 then :)

But they realized most people would rather have blu-ray discs than a PS2 inside their PS3.

At first I was the opposite now I want bluray cause I buy movies on that format. I mostly play PS2 games off my PS2 for cheats and other things.

Still its nice to have the PS2 compatability in the PS3 itself. They removed it for a reason and it seems its beacause they want people to start buying enhanced PS2 games. God of War collection, Sly Cooper collection etc.

It's all about the money. :roll:

• 4 weeks later...