IGNORED

My "new" iMac from 99

It's blue, it's pretty cool and it uses PC133 ram-- I'm in love. Ever since these things were released I have wanted one, finally got one. It's going to be put to work that is for sure. Not really sure what work, yet, but it will be a worker :) In the pic it's working already-- formatting a hdd for the 638CD.

The one thing it has that makes it kinda bad is the felt strip in the disk drive-- it keeps the disks and refuses to eject them so I have to use pliers *as* it ejects them so I can retrieve the disk.

Oh, and whatever games I can find to work on it, of course.

post-7404-12554999362_thumb.jpg

It's blue, it's pretty cool and it uses PC133 ram-- I'm in love. Ever since these things were released I have wanted one, finally got one. It's going to be put to work that is for sure. Not really sure what work, yet, but it will be a worker :) In the pic it's working already-- formatting a hdd for the 638CD.

The one thing it has that makes it kinda bad is the felt strip in the disk drive-- it keeps the disks and refuses to eject them so I have to use pliers *as* it ejects them so I can retrieve the disk.

Oh, and whatever games I can find to work on it, of course.

Great setup, I have a couple just like that. I like when people ask you what kind of computer you have you can say 'Blue'* :)

It seems like you have OS X on there. If you are going to use it as an email and low grade office computer then OS X is great but if you want to get the most bang for your buck as a gaming computer I would make sure to install OS 9.2.2. There's a lot of great classic games from the mid-90s to about 2001 that run perfectly on those iMacs. I have had a blast playing old games like Al Unser Racing, Lemmings, and Last Express for example.

http://www.macintoshgarden.org/

*Joke stolen from a 10-year old Penny Arcade strip.

Congrats on the iMac! It's fun acquiring computers you've always wanted "back in the day". I always had iMac envy when they came out. And when the graphite iMac DVs came out... :lust:

Have fun with it. Like oesii said, it'll make a great games computer with Mac OS 9.2.2. Anything from LucasArts, Bungie, or Blizzard should keep you going for a while. :)

Congrats! I still have my first iMac... the original 233 MHz model. I pre-ordered mine 2 months before they were even released in 1998. I used all but $27 in my checking account to buy it... I was 18 at the time and didn't have much responsibility then! :)

It was a nice upgrade from my IIsi and Duo 280c.

I had one of these for a few weeks when they first came out.

Does anyone know if they work OK with stuff like YouTube?

My original G5/1.6 has issues with certain types of streaming media though You Tube works fine (but it is now a file server for the house), so I would imagine an old G3/233 would just beg for mercy. Part of that may be the OS (running X.5), part of it may be the video card that's in it too. I would think for a really, really basic machine to play any sort of videos that is like the iMac would be the eMac. At least you have a G4 and a possible decent video card.