IGNORED

The Official "Super Expansion Module" Thread

opcode

I am using I/O port 53h for RAM enable. That shouldn't be used by any CV game, as all the CV I/O is limited to 80h-FFh. As for the ADAM, I checked with the ADAMcon group, and according to them 50h-53h is the only I/O space not used by any known ADAM device.

But there is always some risk involved... though the risk is limited to those with an ADAM.

Edited by opcode

But there is always some risk involved... though the risk is limited to those with an ADAM.

Ever since I plugged in and turned on my fist ADAM Computer on X-Mas day '83, I've been running that "gauntlet of risk" quite successfully I might add.

I want to give Opcode a HUGE thank you for dedicating so much of his time and talents to these projects. They are both exciting for us all to follow along with and the anticipation of actually being able to play them is a GIANT bonus! :thumbsup: thanks Opcode

John M.

Edited by rga321
  • Like 1

OK, I have a question...if there eventually are two types of this device, I would prefer to hook it up to my ADAM....but...

I already have two devices plugged into my ADAM's side port via a special 3-connector cable - the Midi-Mite and a Speech Synthesizer. The cable though has room for one more device. Will the SGM plug into the remaining connector? Or will its design prevent this?

You can see my remaining "third" connector in the picture.

post-9212-0-42954000-1333587014_thumb.gif

Yes, I thought of disabling the SGM RAM by default and enabling it by software after checking that no RAM was present. That would prevent bus contention by the RAMs, but stil wouldn't be enough. We would still have contention in the CV_memory_decoder_disable line.

Any way to have a switch to turn on/off? Or if you had the memory turned on and plugged it into the adam you would cause damage?

Placing a switch on both the RAM_enable and CV_mem_decoder_disable lines would work. However if the user turn the switch on by mistake and plug the SGM into an ADAM, that may cause damage to memories or something else.

I think it is too risky. Some may say that having two different colors can't guarantee that someone isn't going to plug the black version on an ADAM. That is true, but at least we can place a warning label in the case about that. It is less probable that someone is going to plug the black version on an ADAM by mistake if there is a warning label like "NEVER EVER USE WITH AN ADAM" than, let's say, use a black module with a switch on a CV then forget to turn the switch off and plug it on an ADAM.

OK, I have a question...if there eventually are two types of this device, I would prefer to hook it up to my ADAM....but...

I already have two devices plugged into my ADAM's side port via a special 3-connector cable - the Midi-Mite and a Speech Synthesizer. The cable though has room for one more device. Will the SGM plug into the remaining connector? Or will its design prevent this?

I believe that with evg2000's suggestion I have pretty much figured out a way to have a single device for both CV and ADAM. It is now a matter of implementing and testing the solution with the rev C board. I am just waiting to discuss a few things with Luc this weekend regarding the controller port before finalizing the design.

About your 3-connectors cable, I believe the SGM should work fine as long as there aren't other devices using I/O ports 50h-53h, and supposing that the cable can properly supply the necessary current to power all 3 devices. A test can be arranged, in case you agree.

Edited by opcode
  • Like 1

Well, being that I'm hardware ignorant, I don't know what I/O ports the midi and speech synthesizer use. But although they are all plugged in to the same cable, they do not function at the same time although I imagine they both draw power. Although this cable is a recent purchase for me (within the last two years), it is the same type someone made back in the 80s so you could have the convenience of not having to plug and unplug multiple devices into the side port and could just leave them all plugged in at once. My desk where my ADAM is doesn't have a lot of room on the side, so it makes things a heck of a lot easier.

It's not a real big issue for me, especially if there is a work-around so there will only be one model of the SGM. My ADAM and CV sit within two feet of one another, but I use the ADAM a lot more than the ColecoVision.

I believe that with evg2000's suggestion I have pretty much figured out a way to have a single device for both CV and ADAM. It is now a matter of implementing and testing the solution with the rev C board. I am just waiting to discuss a few things with Luc this weekend regarding the controller port before finalizing the design.

About your 3-connectors cable, I believe the SGM should work fine as long as there aren't other devices using I/O ports 50h-53h, and supposing that the cable can properly supply the necessary current to power all 3 devices. A test can be arranged, in case you agree.

Edited by jblenkle

The only question here is whether there will be enough power provided by the Expansion Bus to supply all three devices at the same time. If you have an ADAM AutoDialer, you can plug that in to the last/open connector on that Multi-Unit Ribbon Adapter (is that the Eve Electronics version?) and test to see how that work. I would assume that the power requirements for the S.G.M. would be more than the ADAM AutoDialer.... especially with an added Game/Joystick Port like Opcode is thinking of adding.

Well, being that I'm hardware ignorant, I don't know what I/O ports the midi and speech synthesizer use. But although they are all plugged in to the same cable, they do not function at the same time although I imagine they both draw power. Although this cable is a recent purchase for me (within the last two years), it is the same type someone made back in the 80s so you could have the convenience of not having to plug and unplug multiple devices into the side port and could just leave them all plugged in at once. My desk where my ADAM is doesn't have a lot of room on the side, so it makes things a heck of a lot easier.

It's not a real big issue for me, especially if there is a work-around so there will only be one model of the SGM. My ADAM and CV sit within two feet of one another, but I use the ADAM a lot more than the ColecoVision.

You need to sell me you Eve SS-CC (Speech Syn/Clock Calendar) Unit to free up some room there. :-D

Pretty sure that the Port Address that Opcode will be using has never been used by any other ADAM hardware device, so you should be fine.

Edited by NIAD

Ha! I'm still kicking myself for selling my original one back in the late 80s....

You need to sell me you Eve SS-CC (Speech Syn/Clock Calendar) Unit to free up some room there. :-D

Pretty sure that the Port Address that Opcode will be using has never been used by any other ADAM hardware device, so you should be fine.

No, this isn't the Eve Multi Ribbon Adapter...is that who made it? Couldn't remember. This is one I had custom made by someone on the ADAM Mailing LIst. Can't remember who made it for me, but as I said...the way my ADAM is situated on my one desk, the side port is very hard to get to. There's only about a four-inch clearance so it's easier just to leave my midi-mite and speech synthesizer plugged in rather than trying to constantly plug and unplug devices.

I don't have an ADAM Auto Dialer, but it strikes me back in the day that there were some devices you couldn't plug into the ribbon cable because of the way they were constructed. THey actually need the card edge sticking out so it can be plugged into the female plug on the ribbon adapter.

In fact, I think the ribbon adapter can only be used for non-Coleco made items. The 2600 module certainly won't plug into it and if memory serves me, the auto dialer wouldn't either.

The only question here is whether there will be enough power provided by the Expansion Bus to supply all three devices at the same time. If you have an ADAM AutoDialer, you can plug that in to the last/open connector on that Multi-Unit Ribbon Adapter (is that the Eve Electronics version?) and test to see how that work. I would assume that the power requirements for the S.G.M. would be more than the ADAM AutoDialer.... especially with an added Game/Joystick Port like Opcode is thinking of adding.

Ok, so I would like to give an update where the SGM stands today, and other Opcode related projects for the year.

First the SGM: We have the case project done, we are ready to order the mold, unless we decide to include a controller port (more about that next).

We have the Rev B board ordered, Rev C designed (with the ADAM compatibility stuff in), and I have the option to produce Rev D, in case I decide to include the controller port. Now, I am going to spend the weekend discussing that with Luc, so let's see.

Packaging: we have the logos and name plate done, Dale is now working on the manual, so we are doing steady progress.

I hope to start beta in June, and I was thinking that it may be possible to go into manufacturing by August after all. But that is going to depend on if we don't find any major problems during beta.

About games:

I will resume DKA in June. Assuming 3 more months of development with a couple of extra months of beta, we should be all set to start selling in December.

3rd Party:

Rollerball (the SGM game) will be delivered next week. After that I hope to deliver 2 new Pixelboy SGM games (1 is actually done) and fix a 3rd one by June. Then I have 2 more Pixelboy games to deliver and possibly a 3rd one to fix or add some stuff before the year is over. So that would be a total of 6 SGM games this year.

Opcode Club:

Hopefully we will start in June. Waiting for word from my editor....

So far so good...

• Like 3

3rd Party:

Rollerball (the SGM game) will be delivered next week. After that I hope to deliver 2 new Pixelboy SGM games (1 is actually done) and fix a 3rd one by June. Then I have 2 more Pixelboy games to deliver and possibly a 3rd one to fix or add some stuff before the year is over. So that would be a total of 6 SGM games this year.

Just in case anyone is wondering, I believe he's talking about The Black Onyx. :)

Got the first SGM manual proof from Dale today. Looks super cool, I think a lot of you will pleasantly surprised. It is still missing some of the illustrations, though. Those will be included once I have decide if the controller port is a go or not.

Now to the game catalog...

Just in case anyone is wondering, I believe he's talking about The Black Onyx. :)

Hopefully changing the game to give you more experience points from killing monsters.

I played a ways into the SG-1000 translation a while back, and ended up being able to buy all the best weapons/armor for my party, but getting totally destroyed in the later dungeons.