IGNORED

The Official "Super Expansion Module" Thread

opcode

Thanks for the update,I can't wait for this to actually start being produced!

charles

I get worried when we havn't heard from the Op-meister (Opcode) in a while :)

I am ok, just got back from some extended vacations.

First news is that we have a pre-quote for the module board: $50, including all components and assembled. Not bad. We add $20 for the DK cartridge plus printed stuff, and we end with $70. Now I just need to find out how much the case will be. It needs to be less than $30, otherwise we go back to the drawing board.

I still have a few surprises, but I will leave those for next year.

[EDIT]: BTW, all unanswered emails to Bia will get a reply soon. Bia was busy the last couple of months taking care of Opcode Jr. :)

[EDIT]: BTW, all unanswered emails to Bia will get a reply soon. Bia was busy the last couple of months taking care of Opcode Jr. :)

Thanks for the update! I was getting worried there. I'm definitely in based on what you've described so far.

It was GREAT to see this thread! I had taken a bit of a hiatus from AAge (hmm, only 1.5 to 2 years!), and when I got back to the forums I went right to the "Colecovision - the best is yet to come" thread. I didn't even realize at first that this one existed! Well, I just sent my reservation request to bia.... . Can't wait to get a reply, hope I'm not too late :(

Put me on the list!...as long as Arkanoid will feature players to plug in an Atari paddle to play it!

To have your name placed in the wait list, please contact bia at opcodegames.com

Thanks for the support!

I'm not sure, but I've sent a couple emails to bia but I haven't heard anything back...I realize the holidays are upon us though. Could that be the reason? Just don't want to miss out on a chance to pick up one of these. Any suggestions? Thanks and Happy New Year!!!

Put me on the list!...as long as Arkanoid will feature players to plug in an Atari paddle to play it!

To have your name placed in the wait list, please contact bia at opcodegames.com

Thanks for the support!

I'm not sure, but I've sent a couple emails to bia but I haven't heard anything back...I realize the holidays are upon us though. Could that be the reason? Just don't want to miss out on a chance to pick up one of these. Any suggestions? Thanks and Happy New Year!!!

Hi,

Bia hasn't replied yet because she is currently on maternity leave. But don't worry, if you sent the emails then you will be on the list.

Eduardo

• 4 weeks later...

Just to let you guys know that I have been working full steam despite the lack of updates.

I hope to have an announcement in a couple of months, with near production versions of everything including a few surprises...

Um, okay, so you're pushing the SEM and putting the CV2 on hold?

Just to let you guys know that I have been working full steam despite the lack of updates.

I hope to have an announcement in a couple of months, with near production versions of everything including a few surprises...

Um, okay, so you're pushing the SEM and putting the CV2 on hold?

Lets just say I am trying to keep the pipeline of games flowing and that I made enormous progress towards that goal in the past couple of weeks. Since it was based on your suggestion, I think you know what I am talking about, though I would prefer to keep that private for now.

As I said I hope to show the results in about a couple of months.

Lets just say I am trying to keep the pipeline of games flowing and that I made enormous progress towards that goal in the past couple of weeks. Since it was based on your suggestion, I think you know what I am talking about, though I would prefer to keep that private for now.

Kewl. :)

Kewl. :)

Glad to hear there is progress. I know it will be awesome!

Finally, the elusive 60-pins right angle edge connector... :D

The black connector is the original one used with the Atari module. The green connector is the one we are gonna use with our module.

post-1432-126523917441_thumb.jpg

Edited by opcode
  • Like 1

The black connector is the original one used with the Atari module. The green connector is the one we are gonna use with our module.

Looks cool! :) So how many of these babies have you been able to secure?

Also, is the MegaRAM and savegame feature still part of the module's design, or did you change your mind about that?

Looks cool! :) So how many of these babies have you been able to secure?

Also, is the MegaRAM and savegame feature still part of the module's design, or did you change your mind about that?

I followed your logic: the games we had for the module weren't advanced enough for the CV2. On the other hand most of SEM features would be redundant with CV2. So the module was stripped down to the very basic functions, and the MegaRAM and save RAM were moved to the cartridge.

As I said in another thread, I will be doing the first public presentation of the near production boards for both the module and cartridge. Then I will have about 4 months to figure out the module case to have everthing released during this year's CGE.

Let me get this straight: You mean to tell me that the CV2 you guys are working on is better than the CV1 with the SEM, and will have games that only work on the CV2!? Damn you! I've already bought a CV1 in excitement over the SEM! :x

Think this way, you will be getting the module in a few months and will be enjoying the advanced games for a while before you can get the CV2. And when you eventually get the CV2, your whole collection of module games is going to work on it.

Isn't that great? :)

Ok guys, time for some status update:

First of all, the Opcode Games website is undergoing a complete facelift. And not just that, but many long requested improvements are being implemented, like a mailing list and Paypal buttons to makes buying games a lot easier. The webmaster taking care of the changes is David Harley, from the Intellivision scene fame.

Now to the topic, the SEM project has been scalled down a bit. The module is now a lot smaller, some features have migrated to the CV2, some to the new MegaCart.

The "new" SEM is now two different pieces of hardware:

- The ColecoVision Memory Module is the expansion that plugs into the expansion port

- The MegaCart2 is a cartridge PCB that provides very advanced bank switching and save game functionality (each cartridge will save its own data)

The advantage is a smaller expansion unit that is also less expensive than previous planned.

Because of my deal with River West Brand I can no longer offer Donkey Kong as a pack-in game (for obvious reasons), so the Memory Module will be sold separetely from games. We are now estimating the MM to cost around $50 when it is finally available.

That said, here is the planned schedule for everything:

Feb: alpha versions of the MegaCart2 and Memory Module

Mar: beta versions of the MegaCart2, Memory Module and at least one of three games (Goonies, Knightmare and Donkey Kong Arcade), beta versions are demoed at Midwest Gaming Classic, development of the Memory Module case starts

Apr: Official beta testing beggins involving some 10 people

May: Packaging for at least one of the games is delivered by Dale

Jun: hardware and game(s) beta testing ends, beta for the Memory Module case starts, manufacturing of hardware starts in China

Jul: hardware is received and assembled, games are assembled, Opcode booth at CGE demonstrating final product

Aug: Memory Module and at least a game are shipped

Sep-Nov: remaining games (if any) are released, with all 3 games available until Nov

Nov-Jan: vacations in Brazil :D

2011: more games...

So, yeah, tight schedule, but we are going to work hard and make that happens, this is going to be our best year ever, and I am very excited...

Now to the topic, the SEM project has been scalled down a bit. The module is now a lot smaller, some features have migrated to the CV2, some to the new MegaCart.

The "new" SEM is now two different pieces of hardware:

- The ColecoVision Memory Module is the expansion that plugs into the expansion port

- The MegaCart2 is a cartridge PCB that provides very advanced bank switching and save game functionality (each cartridge will save its own data)

The advantage is a smaller expansion unit that is also less expensive than previous planned.

So I guess you'll be keeping your stash of MSX PSGs for the CV2? :)

Thanks for the update.

What is your estimate of what the Mega Cart will cost? Or will it come with the Memory Module?

Do you own a copy of Pac-Man Collection? Then you already have a MegaCart in your posession. It's the PCB inside the cartridge. :) The new version proposed here will be more advanced.