IGNORED

Tutankham

cimerians

Any Tutankham fans out there?

Whats the best version that you like to play? The arcade version for me is the best

and I actually kind of liked the 2600 version. The CV is probably the best home version for me.

Also, who has a copy of this game and for what systems?

I have the CV and 2600 but I always wondered how other versions compared.

The 2600 and O2 versions aren't arcade accurate, but they're fun in their own right. The Atari 8-bit version, sadly, sucks pretty bad but it's also an unfinished prototype. The Colecovision version is good, but I hear the TI-99 version might be better (although only one person owns that prototype). The Intellivision version isn't bad, but the Coleco version is better. I've never played the Vic-20 version, but it doesn't *look* too bad.

Tempest

Any Tutankham fans out there?

Whats the best version that you like to play? The arcade version for me is the best

and I actually kind of liked the 2600 version. The CV is probably the best home version for me.

Also, who has a copy of this game and for what systems?

I have the CV and 2600 but I always wondered how other versions compared.

There's also a version on the DS in the Konami Arcade collection, though it was renamed to "Horror Maze" (the JP version of Konami Arcade DS has the original title for the game, though). It's intact otherwise and very close to the original. Sweet game and sweet collection. DS "Horror Maze" is the only version I have, though.

Edited by BrianC

I didn't know there was an O2 and even a DS version included in a collection. I also like to see the Vic-20.

It even made it to the Tandy.

I still have the manuals for the 2600 and Colecovision copies that I have. I've been playing it lately on the CV and sometimes through mame and I always thought the game was pretty fun. It seems Parker Brothers is the company that first brought it home.

I'll be looking up some screenshots for the versions I mentioned above.

Edited by cimerians

In my opinion, the manual for the 2600 is what makes that version great. When I was a kid I loved reading all those descriptions of the treasures in each chamber. Do other versions have treasure descriptions? I've never looked at them.

Oh and Retrogaming Times did a Many Faces of Tutankham a few years ago: http://my.stratos.net/~hewston95/RTM42/RTM42.html#Many_Faces

Tempest

Cool game for any system.Problem is I could never get a feel for the game.The sideways shooting and moving around,I can never get the hang of, or get used to.The 2600 version is a mess imo.I would however still like to get the ColecoVision version of the game for collecting purpose.

Edited by Rik

'Tut's Tomb' for the Tandy CoCo was a pretty good clone but it's not an official license.

Too bad they never did a CoCo3 version taking advantage of the better graphics.

http://nitros9.lcurtisboyle.com/tutstomb.html

I sucked at the arcade version. I couldn't get past the 2nd screen most of the time.

To be honest, the artifact colors could have been used better in that game.

I forgot about 'The Touchstone' which used a 4 color mode instead of artifact colors.

http://nitros9.lcurtisboyle.com/touchstone.html

Some people compare the gameplay of 'Time Bandit' to 'Tutankham' but it differs from 'Tutankham' a lot. I think it's one of the better games for the CoCo.

http://nitros9.lcurtisboyle.com/timebandit.html

I like the game a lot. I a pretty unique title actually. It can be frustrating as hell at times but overall it's great fun. As far as copies I own I only have the original carts for the 2600 and Vic-20 but thanks to the CV falshcart I get play it the CV as well. I would love to get the INTV and O2 versions but they're not exactly the most easy to obtain. Anyone have any idea if the O2 cart will ever be available again? I sure wish the TI99 version would get released. Seems like a real waste that it's been found but no one gets to enjoy it.

I sure wish the TI99 version would get released. Seems like a real waste that it's been found but no one gets to enjoy it.

I believe it was the wishes of the programmer that it not be released.

Tempest

Funny thing is, the programmer was working for someone else and technically, he never owned the rights.

I love Tutankham. I played the heck out of the 2600 version back in the day, and it's always been a favorite. Probably because it was a lot easier than the arcade original, and I felt like I could at least do okay. Speaking of the arcade version, the Konami Arcade Hits cart was permanently lodged in my DS for months because of Tutankham (aka "Horror Maze"). Great theme, great challenge, lots of randomness. I'm not a fan of overly difficult games, but Tutanhkham is the exception. For some reason I find it very replayable even though it makes me curse... :)

This is a game that I'd love to have the read standup arcade version of. Trying to play it on the small DS screen made an already tough game even harder.

I hate to admit it, but I've never made it all the way through all four screens of the arcade game. I've gotten really, really close to the end of screen three with the final key, but never actually made it through.

....the best clone I've found is called "Key Quest". Pity only one copy is known to currently exist! Thankfully I've dumped it so people can play it in emulation...

I truly appreciate that. It's a shame everyone isn't like that when it comes to such rarities. :thumbsup:

Another closet Tutankham fan here. While the Vic20 conversion isn't too bad, the best clone I've found is called "Key Quest". Pity only one copy is known to currently exist! Thankfully I've dumped it so people can play it in emulation...

Tempest:

Thanks for the many faces link.

Mayhem:

Thats great....where's the dump? I'd love to try it...

Am I alloweed to ask? :ponder:

I just tried the DS version, I've had it all this time but I never knew it was there cause they changed the name. Legal issues maybe?

Yes the screen is small but its still pretty good.

Clones:

Touchstone looks kind of brutal especially the bright yellows and blues.

Time Bandit actually looks pretty cool.

Clones:

Touchstone looks kind of brutal especially the bright yellows and blues.

Time Bandit actually looks pretty cool.

Well, on the 6847 you didn't have too many color choices.

The alternate color set would have been just as brutal.

That's why Time Bandit and most other CoCo games used the NTSC artifact colors instead.

• 1 month later...

I discovered this game in a little arcade called "Shazamm" at the mall in Jupiter, FL back around 1983. I was in 3rd grade at the time and this machine managed to devour quite a bit of lunch money. I've been a pretty big fan ever since. The only console version I've ever played is the CV one which is a top notch piece of programming IMO. I consider myself lucky to have the original cart, as it's nearly impossible to find. A sealed Intellivision version recently sold for $307.99 on ebay! We're any of you fans the lucky winner? These other versions mentioned might be fun to eventually track down and compare, but having the original Arcade machine in the den is where it's at... And it looks like SoCal Mike beat me to it!!

A token from that long-gone arcade still survives in my collection, pictured next to another prized possession:

post-21471-125966682124_thumb.jpg; post-21471-125966691548_thumb.jpg