IGNORED

The hijacked Odyssey Market

Rev. Rob

[edit]Oh yeah....and fourth, this topic is getting funny as hell, why not just post a pic of each of your dicks and get it over with? (oh yeah...that would probably be an instant thread lock, don't do that :lol: )

Woah dude, thats pretty gross. But I have to agree, these two guys are a couple of lolcows, by now it seems to be a battle of who's e-penis is bigger, not a conflict of interests.

Seems that the guy is trying to resell these things, I said it before, to cover his own expenses in fixing them. He said he pays a guy $100/hr to fix them (that is over-charging, I as a tech charge $35/hr) so that guy is the one getting ripped off, and he's passing it on to the buyers of the O2's.

Just don't buy from him, he will get the point. IMHO if sales are not 50% of what you put in, given a certain period of time, it isn't worth doing. His particular numbers I don't know, but I will be t that it's less than 50%.

BTW 50% is extremely conservative, most sellers want 150% of what is put in at a minimum.

Also, makes me wish I was his tech that was fixing the consoles. I'd gladly only charge him HALF of what he's paying his current tech.

35$ an hour????? That is way cheap. I have a Centipede and a Hypersports board in need of repair. Are you able to fix arcade boards? If so, please PM me and we can work out a price.

Edited by ericwierson

If you find ticket scalping objectionable, then this guy's behavior is too. Conversely, if you don't have a problem with what this guy is doing, then I trust you won't complain when you can't find a fair ticket for a concert or sports event.

but the difference is i like going to concerts (and have no problem getting tickets to events at face value or less) and don't give a shit about the Odyssey 2. :D

Like I said before, this guy is smart to corner (I doubt it) the market on Odyssey game consoles.... He is just trying to make a buck and seemingly is doing a good job.

Uhhh.... no and no. Check his completed listings. Yes, he has sold a few at his stupid prices, but he is sitting on a shitload of inventory that is moving very slowly. There are way more Odysseys sold by other people on ebay than he is selling. If he wants to keep this market monopolized, then he has to keep buying all of those other people's Odysseys that are selling at slightly inflated prices. If you couple his need to purchase all the cheap ones with the snails pace that his current inventory is turning over, then you have a recipe for disaster. It is totally unsustainable. The only questions are how much will-power does this guy have and how deep are his pockets.

This will come to an end, it is just a question of when.

• Like 1

Thank god most people know better than to buy from this guy. I wonder if AVGN got his from this guy. I mean it was complete.

Actually, AVGH gets a LOT of stuff donated to him (it's enough of a problem that he's actually requested people STOP sending him some items....Saturns come to mind)

Thank god most people know better than to buy from this guy. I wonder if AVGN got his from this guy. I mean it was complete.

Actually, AVGH gets a LOT of stuff donated to him (it's enough of a problem that he's actually requested people STOP sending him some items....Saturns come to mind)

I wouldn't have told them to stop. I would in turn donate them to local classic gaming stores.

I wouldn't have told them to stop. I would in turn donate them to local classic gaming stores.

Hells yeah....If I had the kinda inflow he has, that's exactly what I would do (well, actually open my own, since nobody around here seems interested)

Like I said before, this guy is smart to corner (I doubt it) the market on Odyssey game consoles.... He is just trying to make a buck and seemingly is doing a good job.

Uhhh.... no and no. Check his completed listings. Yes, he has sold a few at his stupid prices, but he is sitting on a shitload of inventory that is moving very slowly. There are way more Odysseys sold by other people on ebay than he is selling. If he wants to keep this market monopolized, then he has to keep buying all of those other people's Odysseys that are selling at slightly inflated prices. If you couple his need to purchase all the cheap ones with the snails pace that his current inventory is turning over, then you have a recipe for disaster. It is totally unsustainable. The only questions are how much will-power does this guy have and how deep are his pockets.

How is it not smart to corner a particular market? And if he is selling a few at his " stupid prices " then I guess he is on the right track. So your no and no is completely without basis. I really do not want to get into a silly forums battle with you, but my point stands. It is pretty smart to corner the market on this system. As far as what he sells now is not important, it matters what he demands in the future.

Edited by ericwierson

If he is selling at those prices, and can sit on his inventory, he's got absolutely no reason to sell lower.

What will happen is he will be the one that always has something available, making good margins on those "want it right now" types with considerable disposable income.

This is smart, IMHO.

How is it not smart to corner a particular market? And if he is selling a few at his " stupid prices " then I guess he is on the right track. So your no and no is completely without basis. I really do not want to get into a silly forums battle with you, but my point stands. It is pretty smart to corner the market on this system. As far as what he sells now is not important, it matters what he demands in the future.

You just don't get it. He is buying WAY WAY more than he is selling. If you look at his various accounts he has sold a couple thousand dollars worth of them, but he has bought several thousand dollars worth of them. To top it off he isn't winning every other auction. He is artificially driving up the price on other people auctions, but he doesn't win them all. People are still able to buy them at much lower prices than his, so his "monopoly" is out the window. He has not even gotten close to turning a profit yet, and he won't turn one anytime in the near future. If you think it is a "good idea" to buy $5000 of dollars worth of old electronics in order to sell $1500 dollars worth and sit on a huge amount of unmovable inventory, then I am glad that we are not business partners.

This guys business model is totally unsustainable and he doesn't have the market totally cornered. This thing is doomed. Eventually he will run out of money or storage room or he will realize he can't corner the market. At that point he will stop buying and only sell. With other auction prices normalizing due to him not driving up the sale price, his stuff will be even more absurdly prices. He will sell even less and realize it is time to get rid of the stuff. Then the market will be flooded with his excess inventory and market prices will be artificially lowered due to the enormous amount of stuff for sale.

I am not saying that it isn't ever a good idea to corner the market in something, but this market isn't one where it can feasibly be done.

• Like 2

If he is selling at those prices, and can sit on his inventory, he's got absolutely no reason to sell lower.

What will happen is he will be the one that always has something available, making good margins on those "want it right now" types with considerable disposable income.

This is smart, IMHO.

He still has to keep buying and buying. There is no end to the buying, and the selling is obviously moving VERY slowly.

• Like 1

This is smart, IMHO.

He still has to keep buying and buying. There is no end to the buying, and the selling is obviously moving VERY slowly.

Actually he doesn't.

At some point, inventory will be complete. If he has time, and I believe he does, he can then sell it out at a nice premium capturing a nice return over time.

It's not cornering the market so much as it is raising price expectations, and having enough to be "in stock" to capture the profits from the impulse buys. Clearly, there are people of means, who enjoy this stuff and really don't care about a deal. If that remains true, it's highly likely he can get a good return over the course of a few years.

This guys business model is totally unsustainable and he doesn't have the market totally cornered. This thing is doomed. Eventually he will run out of money or storage room or he will realize he can't corner the market. At that point he will stop buying and only sell.

Well said post. Unless this guy has a money tree in his yard, I don't see how it is possible to corner this particular market.

• Like 2

You just don't get it. He is buying WAY WAY more than he is selling. If you look at his various accounts he has sold a couple thousand dollars worth of them, but he has bought several thousand dollars worth of them. To top it off he isn't winning every other auction. He is artificially driving up the price on other people auctions, but he doesn't win them all. People are still able to buy them at much lower prices than his, so his "monopoly" is out the window. He has not even gotten close to turning a profit yet, and he won't turn one anytime in the near future. If you think it is a "good idea" to buy $5000 of dollars worth of old electronics in order to sell $1500 dollars worth and sit on a huge amount of unmovable inventory, then I am glad that we are not business partners.

This guys business model is totally unsustainable and he doesn't have the market totally cornered. This thing is doomed. Eventually he will run out of money or storage room or he will realize he can't corner the market. At that point he will stop buying and only sell. With other auction prices normalizing due to him not driving up the sale price, his stuff will be even more absurdly prices. He will sell even less and realize it is time to get rid of the stuff. Then the market will be flooded with his excess inventory and market prices will be artificially lowered due to the enormous amount of stuff for sale.

I am not saying that it isn't ever a good idea to corner the market in something, but this market isn't one where it can feasibly be done.

I am glad we are not business partners also. You got it in your head that you are right and nothing will change that. You have no idea how much space, money, or determination this guy has. Eventually if he does get most of the product he will be able to sell at his price or maybe he will never sell anything more. Time will tell on this one.

I agree with this 100%, this guy is slowly bleeding himself dry. Just like a suicidal Emo in a knife factory, its all just a matter of when.

• Like 2

In all reality, this guy says he's almost 70. So... how long can this realistically last? Unless he's in really good health, this problem is going to take care of itself. Then, go to the estate sale.

Also, a few of you mentioned Odyssey 2's... I believe the guy is focusing on the original Odyssey system, not the O2. Correct me if I'm wrong. Because if this guy has actually raised the price of O2's to high enough to be worth shipping them, I have some to sell!

I can't believe I actually read (skimmed) all that.

Rob, I read your first post and most of those that followed, so please allow me to add my two cents.

Is this moral? Yes and no- we all have to make a living. Every 'thing' is worth whatever someone will pay. If you do not like it, do not pay. Would I personally charge someone double or triple value for a 'thing' -no but thats my personal

morals/beliefs.

Would I ever hoard anything to drives up prices? No, but some people do. Artificial scarcity drives short term value. It also drives profit. Learn about diamonds...

Not everyone thinks like you and I. This man makes a profit selling things you and I cannot afford, c'est la vie.

Just wait and watch for better deals, they will come along. As a Virtual Boy collector, I know this first hand.

Dick's a dick. We all know it, but some of you say it's OK because either you're doing it too, or because it's a free country. Dick is the online version of the damn re-sellers at flea markets.

However, wouldn't it take a long time to corner the market on any console, say for instance, the Atari 7800? If he is going to grab all of the Odyssey 1's, let him, it sucks. Say he moves to Odyssey2, it would take about 10 years I think for him to make even a dent. For argument, let's say he moved to Vectrex. Then I'd be worried, and I think this is the root of the matter.

Pretend some 70-year-old millionaire is scouring all of the Vectrex'es. That would suck. And I think someone could make a dent with a slightly-more-available-yet-not-too-available console like the Vectrex in a relatively short time.

So, solution. Buy at fleas. Try to avoid eBay, but if you must, check their feedback to see if they sell a lot of consoles/games. Don't support re-sellers. Don't buy Dick's stuff online. Don't become part of the problem (for instance, making it your mission to be the Atari Heavy Sixer Guy).

Re-sellers suck. They are the antithesis of what true collecting is all about.

• Like 3