IGNORED

Hey, you still don't have a Sega CD?

Rev. Rob

17 years ago this week Sega released the Sega CD in North America.

I remember one of the kids in my apartment complex got one right when it came out. He let us all come over and watch him play Sewer Shark. It looked pretty damn awesome at the time. I was 10 years old that year; the only console I ever owned at the time was an Atari 2600. I was getting a Super Nintendo for Christmas that year, but this made me change my mind and I told my parents I wanted a Sega Genesis instead.

I never ended up getting a Sega CD until adulthood. I now realize how crap most of the games were... Corpse Killer, Sewer Shark... bleh.

There are quite a few gems, however. I think there's been a recent thread around here devoted to good Sega CD games, so I won't rattle of my top favorites. If you have a Genesis, then picking up a Sega CD on the cheap is worth it, just for the curiosity factor alone.

17 years ago this week Sega released the Sega CD in North America.

I remember one of the kids in my apartment complex got one right when it came out. He let us all come over and watch him play Sewer Shark. It looked pretty damn awesome at the time. I was 10 years old that year; the only console I ever owned at the time was an Atari 2600. I was getting a Super Nintendo for Christmas that year, but this made me change my mind and I told my parents I wanted a Sega Genesis instead.

I never ended up getting a Sega CD until adulthood. I now realize how crap most of the games were... Corpse Killer, Sewer Shark... bleh.

There are quite a few gems, however. I think there's been a recent thread around here devoted to good Sega CD games, so I won't rattle of my top favorites. If you have a Genesis, then picking up a Sega CD on the cheap is worth it, just for the curiosity factor alone.

Some great lesser known games on that system. I bought a Model 2 last year for $60 at Play-N-Trade with a model 1 Genesis bundled. I sold the Genesis for 20$ so I'd say I got a good deal.

I was so excited about the Sega CD when I first started reading about it in EGM. It wasn't until the second model did my brother and I go in halves on one (which is what we usually did for game systems). It was $229 and it came with Sewer Shark. The only other games we got for it were Dracula and WWF Rage in the Cage. Was never disappointed by it. It was our first CD player so it had a second use beyond games. It wasn't until years later that I picked up several more games for it. It was a fascinating time for video games, even if it didn't quite live up to the hype. Happy 17th Birthday, Sega CD.

I've owned three Sega CD systems.

When I was 18 or 19, a friend of mine gave me his Sega CD model 2. I played it for years. One day, years later and for seemingly no reason, it just stopped working. I had no choice but to throw it away.

In the meantime, while working at FuncoLand, someone tried to trade in a JVC X'eye and about 20 Master System games. Since the company didn't take either console as trade, I gave him the $20 I had it my pocket for the entire box. (I got a lot of stuff that way back then.) Someone has spilled soda in the X'Eye and the CD motor didn't move. I thought it was probably broken beyond any repair. But after my Sega CD died, I took it all apart and cleaned each gear and everything. To my amazement, it works to this day.

A few years ago, I saw someone list a Sega CDX on eBay with a $20 BIN. I was lucky and it had just been listed. I half expected for it not to come, and to be told that there had been some mishap and they were going to refund my money. (Usually when I do a BIN for well less than an item is worth, I get a refund and some lame story about how the dog chewed it up.) But it did come in the mail, in a nice yellow envelope - no box, no packing. What's more amazing, is that it actually worked.

I was in a thrift shop earlier this year and saw a unit for sale with a $160 price tag on it. I waited one week for the price to drop to $80 so I could go snag it. I walked in Monday at 9AM sharp and noticed the price had been cut to only $40. Another person was about to look at the unit as a "video player" for her kids. Imagine her surprise when she found out it would not play DVD movies.

This would have happened had I walked in two minutes later. As it was, I was helped first and I said "I want to buy that laser disc player you have in the display case."

"You wanna check it first to see if it works?"

"Nope, I want to buy it as it sits."

For the first time in my life I've enjoyed Genesis games in style. I even hated me some Farenheit and enjoyed Rebel Assault I using the unit's Sega CD compatibility.

The reason I was all over this so quick is that I realized $40 for a Pioneer LaserActive and the PAC-S10 was an absolute steal. It came with the Pioneer game pad and the remote, too. Although I have a Genesis 3, now I've got something that'll hook to a typical Genesis stack and let me play almost any game made for the system. Good times are ahead!

I was in a thrift shop earlier this year and saw a unit for sale with a $160 price tag on it. I waited one week for the price to drop to $80 so I could go snag it. I walked in Monday at 9AM sharp and noticed the price had been cut to only $40. Another person was about to look at the unit as a "video player" for her kids. Imagine her surprise when she found out it would not play DVD movies.

This would have happened had I walked in two minutes later. As it was, I was helped first and I said "I want to buy that laser disc player you have in the display case."

"You wanna check it first to see if it works?"

"Nope, I want to buy it as it sits."

For the first time in my life I've enjoyed Genesis games in style. I even hated me some Farenheit and enjoyed Rebel Assault I using the unit's Sega CD compatibility.

The reason I was all over this so quick is that I realized $40 for a Pioneer LaserActive and the PAC-S10 was an absolute steal. It came with the Pioneer game pad and the remote, too. Although I have a Genesis 3, now I've got something that'll hook to a typical Genesis stack and let me play almost any game made for the system. Good times are ahead!

Dude, that's an awesome story. Hell, the original $160 price was a steal!

I got my Sega CD when the playstation and Saturn were still early in their lifespans. Man I had a lot of great memories with that thing... Eternal Champions, Lords of Thunder, Final Fight, Android Assault, Sonic CD, Mansion of Hidden Souls, Silpheed, Soul Star, All the enhanced Genesis ports (Mortal Kombat, Batman Returns, Ecco 1 & 2, Flink, NBA Jam, Chuck Rock, etc. etc.), just to name a few (not to mention a few great RPGs as well). The system tends to get a bad wrap due to all the shovelware fmv titles released on it, which is a shame (albeit I still really enjoy Sewer Shark, it was one of the only well-done fmv titles on the system). Definitely a piece of gaming history that I think no hardcore gamer should miss out on, and thanks to emulation (via pc or a nodded XBOX) and how cheap most of its games are, there's no reason to not give it a shot.

My first one I got just two years ago and I was really missing out. Now I have a Model 1 and then a 2. I play the Model 2 more because I'm afraid of the Model 1 breaking down and me not being able to get parts for it.

This thing rocks, though, and I have to say it's about my favorite system. The DC is neck and neck with it.

You guys got me into action. I finally got around to ripping some of my old Sega CD games and set up the PicoDrive emulator for PSP. And because my stick was almost full, I went and got a 16GB MSPD too. ($70 at Fry's, and I noticed the total lack of any 3rd-party versions... I guess nobody else wants to share the inSONYty of the Memory Stick format.)

So now I can finally play some of my Sega CD games without having to hook up a bunch of stuff.

I've owned three Sega CD systems.

When I was 18 or 19, a friend of mine gave me his Sega CD model 2. I played it for years. One day, years later and for seemingly no reason, it just stopped working. I had no choice but to throw it away.

In the meantime, while working at FuncoLand, someone tried to trade in a JVC X'eye and about 20 Master System games. Since the company didn't take either console as trade, I gave him the $20 I had it my pocket for the entire box. (I got a lot of stuff that way back then.) Someone has spilled soda in the X'Eye and the CD motor didn't move. I thought it was probably broken beyond any repair. But after my Sega CD died, I took it all apart and cleaned each gear and everything. To my amazement, it works to this day.

A few years ago, I saw someone list a Sega CDX on eBay with a $20 BIN. I was lucky and it had just been listed. I half expected for it not to come, and to be told that there had been some mishap and they were going to refund my money. (Usually when I do a BIN for well less than an item is worth, I get a refund and some lame story about how the dog chewed it up.) But it did come in the mail, in a nice yellow envelope - no box, no packing. What's more amazing, is that it actually worked.

If your new 1 ever quits its probably a fuse in the system or the eye in the cd drive could be dirty

One of my friends back in the day got one, for their model one genesis, and it was indeed the coolest thing ever (well, back then) but I didn't like how you didn't "control the game" like you do with other games. Dragon lair games are cool, but really a novelty. Still, it looked cool, and some of the games weere damn awesome. After getting a complete sega and all the wallwarts, you probaby were looking at some sort of fire code violation though :P

Anyhow, I didn't get one untill about 5 years later, a model 2 for my model 2 genesis. And I loved it, by then though, the PSX and 64 were out, so itw asn't nearly as impressive, but it was still fun to play many of the games (including some games a lot of people rag on)

Great system, surprisingly seems to lack a homebrew market, which is weird right? Sega, CD players are common, so homebrews are often on cart, vs Jaguar, CD's are even rarer than the already rare system, so homebrews are of course on CD :\

Speaking of a power supply issue, I made my own from a laptop power supply-- it's a switching type and I added two cables for the DC side that go to the consoles, and also it's a tabletop, not a "wall wart" so it only takes up one plug. Another great thing is that it doesn't even get warm. The consoles don't use most of it's capacity; it's a 15VDC 3.0A and carries the CD/Genny with zero problems. Sometimes for hours.

Edited by nathanallan

The one thing I hated about the Sega CD was that it required another AC adapter to power the thing. Hearing about the Sega 32X needing an AC adapter to power it as well, I decided that I wasn't going to get that after blowing $200 on the Sega CD.

That's why Sega made a power strip specifically for plugging in up to four of the enormous wall warts. I always thought of it as Sega saying "sorry" for all the wall warts.

segapower.jpg

The one thing I hated about the Sega CD was that it required another AC adapter to power the thing. Hearing about the Sega 32X needing an AC adapter to power it as well, I decided that I wasn't going to get that after blowing $200 on the Sega CD.

That's why Sega made a power strip specifically for plugging in up to four of the enormous wall warts. I always thought of it as Sega saying "sorry" for all the wall warts.

segapower.jpg

It still would have been better if Sega had found a way to power up those things without the need of additional AC adapters. Admittedly, the Adam's way of powering up the thing through its printer was stupid, but I think consolidating the powering of so many adapters hooked up to the main system was a better idea than what was handed to the Sega CD and 32X.

It still would have been better if Sega had found a way to power up those things without the need of additional AC adapters. Admittedly, the Adam's way of powering up the thing through its printer was stupid, but I think consolidating the powering of so many adapters hooked up to the main system was a better idea than what was handed to the Sega CD and 32X.

They should have designed the expansion port to carry power from the CD to the base console.

I bought my model 2 Cd from a 2nd Hand Shop - the guy said - why do you want it? it's missing pieces and not working ! The box was pretty minty and I thought what the hell I might be able to salvage something. So when I opened it up at home there was Megadrive shoved in the box as well and no controllers! No problem got a drawer full of controllers so why didn't the CD work? Warped adapter plate! A quick fix with a pair of pliers and I was away!

Total cost $20 AU

Bargain!

Wait, Nintendo isn't making the SNES CD expansion anymore? But what's Sony going to do with all that research? Throw it out and cut their losses, I guess? :roll:

I've seen Sega CD units here and there, but I've yet to pick one up, largely because I've never come across one with the power cable. Sonic CD alone would keep me entertained.

sean, that's the holy grail of the Sega CD, if not the LaserActive. I'd love to have one of those. A person came to me once, we got to talking about it. They bought a CDX at a pawn shop for $20 as a CD player, untested. High for an untested anything but turned out it worked and played all games fine. Score for him!

I wanna make scores like that, once I get able to.