IGNORED

Hey, you still don't have a Sega CD?

Rev. Rob

sean, that's the holy grail of the Sega CD, if not the LaserActive. I'd love to have one of those. A person came to me once, we got to talking about it. They bought a CDX at a pawn shop for $20 as a CD player, untested. High for an untested anything but turned out it worked and played all games fine. Score for him!

I wanna make scores like that, once I get able to.

Indeed, the CDX is pretty nice. Mine came with the original AC adapter too that says CDX on it. I'm sure at some point you'll locate one... they do pop up once in a while at pawn shops and Goodwill's.

The one thing I hated about the Sega CD was that it required another AC adapter to power the thing. Hearing about the Sega 32X needing an AC adapter to power it as well, I decided that I wasn't going to get that after blowing $200 on the Sega CD.

That's why Sega made a power strip specifically for plugging in up to four of the enormous wall warts. I always thought of it as Sega saying "sorry" for all the wall warts.

segapower.jpg

I've always wanted one of those, but have never found one. :sad:

sean, that's the holy grail of the Sega CD, if not the LaserActive. I'd love to have one of those. A person came to me once, we got to talking about it. They bought a CDX at a pawn shop for $20 as a CD player, untested. High for an untested anything but turned out it worked and played all games fine. Score for him!

I'd lean a little more toward the LaserActive myself. 10,000 were made. Anyone got a production total on the CDX?

A little off subject, but what video output does the CDX have? I just read that it has standard RCA jacks, which puts the CDX user in the same boat as a LaserActive user...no RGB for the 32X to work with.

Even I will have to work around the jungle of wires after I pull the RGB out of my LaserActive. My idea on that is similar to Nathan's on the power supply, only what I want to do is run a small bundle of wires out of the unit and into a box which will have the A/V port and either a 9VDC output if there's room for a transformer and stuff inside the LaserActive or a 120VAC output if there's no room. The reason for this is so I can run the wires through the small holes or spaces that are already in the enclosure, and, should it become necessary, the LaserActive can be returned to its unmodded state. All the jacks for RGB, S Video, and power to the mushroom would be mounted in a project box that would sit near the unit.

I plan to purchase a "normal" laser disc player in the future for a couple of reasons. One is so we can watch the movies somewhere else besides the game room, and two is to cut down wear and tear on a rare (and expensive) unit.

That said, it's nice to have several systems in one. I think the true holy grail of Sega CD would be a LaserActive with all five PACs and a 32X mod. This might include the custom BIOS for the PAC-S10 that would allow import games to load as well.

Or, how about this: A CDX with two things: A custom made wooden support for a 32X and a rather large battery (5,000 mAh or more) that has a plug for the CDX and a plug for the 32X. The battery itself would be probably about half the size of the mushroom and would power the whole thing for several hours.

Edited by shadow460

32X works fine with the CDX. It's just that you can't really access the CD port with the 32X on top.

It will plug in and come on, but like the Gen model 3, without a cable to combine the video footage, you just get a background image and it won't play (or will that cable work on the CDX?1

32X works fine with the CDX. It's just that you can't really access the CD port with the 32X on top.

It will plug in and come on, but like the Gen model 3, without a cable to combine the video footage, you just get a background image and it won't play (or will that cable work on the CDX?)

Yes, the cable works fine with the CDX. You can fully use 32X with the unit. :)

Since my Sega CD broke, the only way that I can play my 32X CD games is with the CDX. Like I said, the only problem is that the 32X unit obstructs access to the CD door. :(

Ugh... Seeing all those grainy FMV games makes me queasy. The Sega CD was a good idea for the time, but like other Sega efforts of the time, it was not handled with much care. They should have been pickier as to what games appeared on the thing. Instead it was a "Quantity" over "quality" thing much like Atari and the Jaguar (and Jag CD.)

Kinda neat, but I'd never buy one. Genesis by itself was more than enough for me.

Edited by Gregory DG

They added scaling and rotation technology to Sega CD. Could they have also boosted the number of colors for better video quality? I don't know to what extent that would have driven up costs, but it was expensive anyway.

I think the problem with the color is, how the FMV worked. If I remember, it was escentually CD+G, and IIRC, that only supports like 16 colors (but it's not locked, you could use 16 different colors for each frame) If I had been sega, I would have aimed for some proprietary video format and at minimum, at least used the full Genesis color set.

Thing that got me was, the video was already compressed like a sonofabitch to shove it down to 16 color, but even then, they still had to chop it down to half or quarter screen (though the system could pull full screen easy enough) and even after that, they often put alternating scanlines of solid white or black to reduce the video size even further. As a result, the games tended to look like even more ass than the SCD's limitations would have required.

Ugh... Seeing all those grainy FMV games makes me queasy. The Sega CD was a good idea for the time, but like other Sega efforts of the time, it was not handled with much care. They should have been pickier as to what games appeared on the thing. Instead it was a "Quantity" over "quality" thing much like Atari and the Jaguar (and Jag CD.)

Kinda neat, but I'd never buy one. Genesis by itself was more than enough for me.

Thanx. Based on this thread, I was kind of thinking of selling my SegaCD, but after that glowing recommendation.... :(

:twisted: :)

desiv

I love the sega cd. I even loved Sewer Shark, a much hated game for some reason, but I really like it.

I use a cheap 1 dollar 3 in 1 extension cord to power my sega genesis and sega cd, and that goes into my power strip, with the bricks hidden.

They added scaling and rotation technology to Sega CD. Could they have also boosted the number of colors for better video quality? I don't know to what extent that would have driven up costs, but it was expensive anyway.

You know what they had to do with the 32X? That's what they would have had to do to get better graphics on Sega CD.

The scaling and rotation was just a processing chip. You fed it the graphics data, it chewed on it and spit it out, and then you had to write it to the VDP yourself.

I to love3 some of the games your supposed to hate. Ground Zero Texas is one of my favorite of the FMV.

But seriously, even when it first came out, as I said, i thought it kicked ass, but hated the video. I dunno, it may have been because I used VCD and LD as a kid, and expected CD to do the same thing, with less time or something.

Out of curiosity, can the SCD play VCD? I remember there was an addon for the PSX to do this, Saturn too, I think...

I'd lean a little more toward the LaserActive myself. 10,000 were made. Anyone got a production total on the CDX?

A little off subject, but what video output does the CDX have? I just read that it has standard RCA jacks, which puts the CDX user in the same boat as a LaserActive user...no RGB for the 32X to work with.

Even I will have to work around the jungle of wires after I pull the RGB out of my LaserActive. My idea on that is similar to Nathan's on the power supply, only what I want to do is run a small bundle of wires out of the unit and into a box which will have the A/V port and either a 9VDC output if there's room for a transformer and stuff inside the LaserActive or a 120VAC output if there's no room. The reason for this is so I can run the wires through the small holes or spaces that are already in the enclosure, and, should it become necessary, the LaserActive can be returned to its unmodded state. All the jacks for RGB, S Video, and power to the mushroom would be mounted in a project box that would sit near the unit.

I plan to purchase a "normal" laser disc player in the future for a couple of reasons. One is so we can watch the movies somewhere else besides the game room, and two is to cut down wear and tear on a rare (and expensive) unit.

That said, it's nice to have several systems in one. I think the true holy grail of Sega CD would be a LaserActive with all five PACs and a 32X mod. This might include the custom BIOS for the PAC-S10 that would allow import games to load as well.

Or, how about this: A CDX with two things: A custom made wooden support for a 32X and a rather large battery (5,000 mAh or more) that has a plug for the CDX and a plug for the 32X. The battery itself would be probably about half the size of the mushroom and would power the whole thing for several hours.

I've seen the CDX and the LaserActive units mentioned (all great units BTW), but am I the only one with a JVC X'eye? It can use cart or CD and has only one power brick and one composite cable. :D Plus I picked mine up for $10 at Goodwill about nine years ago. The picture below isn't mine but I figured its a good picture to show what the JVC X'eye looks like.

250px-Xeye.JPG

I've seen the CDX and the LaserActive units mentioned (all great units BTW), but am I the only one with a JVC X'eye? It can use cart or CD and has only one power brick and one composite cable. :D Plus I picked mine up for $10 at Goodwill about nine years ago. The picture below isn't mine but I figured its a good picture to show what the JVC X'eye looks like.

250px-Xeye.JPG

Yeah, I actually got one of those (it was actually my first SCD unit :P ) Not sure where it is though :/ I'm sure it's still kicking around here, but I put it away when I got a model 2, cause I've never seen one anywhere else and thought it might be rare.

250px-Xeye.JPG

Nope. ;)

In the meantime, while working at FuncoLand, someone tried to trade in a JVC X'eye and about 20 Master System games. Since the company didn't take either console as trade, I gave him the $20 I had it my pocket for the entire box. (I got a lot of stuff that way back then.) Someone has spilled soda in the X'Eye and the CD motor didn't move. I thought it was probably broken beyond any repair. But after my Sega CD died, I took it all apart and cleaned each gear and everything. To my amazement, it works to this day.

But wow, $10 for X'Eye is a screaming deal. Nice find.

Yeah, I actually got one of those (it was actually my first SCD unit :P ) Not sure where it is though :/ I'm sure it's still kicking around here, but I put it away when I got a model 2, cause I've never seen one anywhere else and thought it might be rare.

They're a little rare. I've seen them go for around $75 to $125 loose, and a but more than that complete.

Edited by Rev. Rob

In all the ebay auctions I've checked, a loose LaserActive goes for $300 if it has the Sega unit, and $1000 if it has the TurboGrafx unit.

In my experience, though, a loose LaserActive with the Sega unit goes for as little as $40... :D

Hehe, Gotta love getting luck like that. Still cant believe I found Fathom for Intv complete in the wild for $7!