IGNORED

Atari XEGS 128K Mod

Littlejohn

I have spent the last week searching through the entire AtariAge forum, all 154 pages of it, looking for a do-it-yourself XEGS 128K mod. Although there are several links to this Mod, the pages are no longer there and can not even be pulled up by the WayBack Machine.

My goal is to have a XEGS compatable with a 130XE.

I know the 'Kit' is sold by several suppliers, but I really want to build it myself. Does anyone have the instructions for this and parts list?

By the way, several of my 'stupid questions' were answered by searching this site.

• 2 weeks later...

I installed this mod in one of my XEGS consoles some years ago. I'm sure I still have the parts list and instructions someplace (I think I promised it to another member at one point), so I'll try to dig them out and scan them.

Have you had any luck at digging these out yet?

I have spent the last week searching through the entire AtariAge forum, all 154 pages of it, looking for a do-it-yourself XEGS 128K mod. Although there are several links to this Mod, the pages are no longer there and can not even be pulled up by the WayBack Machine.

I know the 'Kit' is sold by several suppliers, but I really want to build it myself. Does anyone have the instructions for this and parts list?

By the way, several of my 'stupid questions' were answered by searching this site.

Maybe it was misspelled or not correctly phrased and it didn't show up in the search. Try reading all the pages and see if you find it.

I have spent the last week searching through the entire AtariAge forum, all 154 pages of it, looking for a do-it-yourself XEGS 128K mod.

Maybe it was misspelled or not correctly phrased and it didn't show up in the search. Try reading all the pages and see if you find it.

I did not do a 'search' for it, I went through the entire forum, page by page. It took me the better part of a week to do it.

• 1 month later...

If it helps, this one will do a 65XE to 320kb. As I understand the XEGS is just a 65XE in a different case, it could be made to work. You'll need to source a CO25953 chip though.

http://www.atarimax.com/freenet/freenet_material/5.8-BitComputersSupportArea/7.TechnicalResourceCenter/showarticle.php?32

If it helps, this one will do a 65XE to 320kb. As I understand the XEGS is just a 65XE in a different case, it could be made to work. You'll need to source a CO25953 chip though.

http://www.atarimax.com/freenet/freenet_material/5.8-BitComputersSupportArea/7.TechnicalResourceCenter/showarticle.php?32

Uhhh. No...

The XEGS is not a 65xe.. When you compare FEATURES, it is pretty close.. When you compare circuit design, it's not..

The XEGS has a different MMU than the rest of the XL/XE series (for control of the it's single 32k ROM), It has no place to put the CO25953 (EMMU) chip. (The 65xe has the needed circuitry already on the board, if it's an ECI model).. And the XEGS uses 64kx4 DRAM chips.. SOME 65XEs use this scheme.. Others use 64kx1 chips.. So theres a whole lot of design differences & variables to consider when "adapting" that memory expansion project from a 65XE to the XEGS.. It's certainly doable if you understand the principles of what exactly you are dealing with, but its not something the average user whould try on his own...

Hi Mathy-

That would seem like a logical way to do it. I hope that Jaybird3rd can find the docs. I have two stock XEGM's and it would be great to know how to do the upgrade, but I never thought it was worth the $40 + shipping to find out how to do it.

-Larry

Hello Larry

The upgrade probably uses the CO25953 gate array, which by itself costs 12-13 US dollars.

greetings

Mathy (who really likes the CO25953)

Okay, I finally managed to find the documentation for the Innovative Concepts 128K upgrade, including the parts list and installation instructions. Attached are some quick scans in JPEG format.

This particular upgrade actually did come with the CO25953, although it's only referred to as "Custom IC" in the documentation. Perhaps they replaced it with a custom PAL later. The included RAM is two 41464 RAM chips, stacked on top of the existing RAM.

EDIT: I've also prepared an ASCII version of this document (excluding MatRat's diagram on Page 6); see my post below.

page1.jpegpage2.jpegpage3.jpegpage4.jpegpage5.jpegpage6.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Okay, I finally managed to find the documentation for the Innovative Concepts 128K upgrade, including the parts list and installation instructions. Attached are some quick scans in JPEG format.

This particular upgrade actually did come with the CO25953, although it's only referred to as "Custom IC" in the documentation. Perhaps they replaced it with a custom PAL later. The included RAM is two 41464 RAM chips, stacked on top of the existing RAM.

Thank you!! I have wanted to see this for years!

Edited by puppetmark

Thank you very, very much.

My pleasure. Sorry to keep you waiting so long; I moved a lot of my stuff into storage, and if it wasn't so disorganized, I would have had this over a month ago!

I'm glad to have found it for myself, too: this upgrade was the first mod I ever installed when I did it ten years ago, but now that I'm neater and have more soldering experience, I'm going to take it out and follow these instructions again to redo it!

Check out Satantronic's website at http://www.atari.sk/satantronic/ for a 1 Mb upgrade for the XE and the XEGS.

re-atari