IGNORED

Atari XEGS 128K Mod

Littlejohn

I have never had any trouble with my Willem (other than a virus on the software CD)... but I have only burned EEPROMS with it.

I actually got the software from the web; the seller never sent me the original CD. Perhaps, that was the reason.

the only issues I have had so far (knocking on wood) with the Willem rev I got was that there was an error in the manual for one particular type of eprom, and you have to use parallel cables of as short as possible and use as high-quality as possible. I found that the parallel ZIP drive cables work wonderfully with this burner. (and since there's no shortage of them at local thrift stores for 99 cents to 1.99 each :) they are no problem getting)

The only problem I had was burning any ROMs with it:(

Even with an external power supply it would not burn a usable image. Messing with all the dip switches using different eproms, different images, different PC's etc never gave a usable result.

I know that there are some mods that can be done that are supposed to make the thing work, but I gave up and gave it to someone on AtariAge. Don't think they got it working either.

The USB power works fine if you boot up the computer with the USB cable attached. If you plug in the USB cable after the computer is on, it doesn't seem to power up properly at least on my machine. The computer doesn't detect any device on the USB cable since it's only used for power and the parallel port is used for all the I/O. I have burned EEPROMs, EPROMs, SRAMS, and FLASH chips w/o any problems. It should be possible to hack the Willem programmer to an A8 through the joysticks ports.

I am looking at using a 5V source instead of USB port for mine, I would have rather that they made it fully USB if they were going to have the USB port on it anyways.

The only problem I had was burning any ROMs with it:(

Even with an external power supply it would not burn a usable image. Messing with all the dip switches using different eproms, different images, different PC's etc never gave a usable result.

I know that there are some mods that can be done that are supposed to make the thing work, but I gave up and gave it to someone on AtariAge. Don't think they got it working either.

there are other issues, mainly having to do with the general quality of some of the 'willem' programmers as it is/was an opensource design. it is no longer being developed by it's original developer since as far as I can tell Willem KloosterHuis has passed away. he was having health issues then all of a sudden no one heard from him anymore (not even his hosting provider) and there was an obituary in the netherlands (iirc) for a Willem KloosterHuis in the same city as he lived.

The USB power works fine if you boot up the computer with the USB cable attached. If you plug in the USB cable after the computer is on, it doesn't seem to power up properly at least on my machine. The computer doesn't detect any device on the USB cable since it's only used for power and the parallel port is used for all the I/O. I have burned EEPROMs, EPROMs, SRAMS, and FLASH chips w/o any problems. It should be possible to hack the Willem programmer to an A8 through the joysticks ports.

I use mine all the time without rebooting. Just plug in the USB port, the printer port, and away I go.

• 10 years later...

Hello everyone,

This thread being 10 years old, I'll keep it to the point:

1) Is the Innovative Concepts 128K upgrade for the XEGS compatible with a XEGS SECAM board? (I'd say so but there might be intricacies).

2) Is there a similar 128K upgrade available for the 800XLF? (more precisely, the 800XLF Secam Rose board).

For (2), I actually would like to convert a regular secam 800xlf into a 128k system similar to the 128K XLF proto board shown in the Best Electronics catalog (pictures of the bare PCB were posted by keller on these boards years ago).

On 5/8/2020 at 1:13 AM, _The Doctor__ said:

does anybody have the latest software for the willem programmer without the virus (ie cleaned?)

Do you mean that the Willem software contains a virus? Are you sure? Some viruses turn out to be a hoax.

X5O!P%@AP[4\PZX54(P^)7CC)7}$EICAR-STANDARD-ANTIVIRUS-TEST-FILE!$H+H*