IGNORED

My 2600 Jr. Composite Mod

aftermac

Well, now that people are giving away old TVs I finally managed to find one that doesn't "blue screen" when it gets a weak input signal.

I disconnected the RF output from the existing RCA jack and used it for the composite out, then added a small headphone jack for audio out. I think the picture is really good with the exception of the white vertical lines. The audio sounds really good too. Unfortunately, I didn't take any pics of the inside of the Atari... and I really don't want to take it back apart right now.

post-17553-125599404244_thumb.jpg

post-17553-125599406867_thumb.jpg

post-17553-125599409816_thumb.jpg

post-17553-125599414197_thumb.jpg

Thanks guys!

When I started this project I wanted a very clean case mod. I didn't care about leaving the RF intact, because I have 3 other 2600's including my original, unmodded, Jr. I'm really happy with how it turned out, except for those blasted lines! Unfortunately, I think fixing them might be outside of my skill set.

In total I only spent about $20. I picked up the Atari for $12.91 at the thrift store and less than $10 in parts.

Thanks guys!

When I started this project I wanted a very clean case mod. I didn't care about leaving the RF intact, because I have 3 other 2600's including my original, unmodded, Jr. I'm really happy with how it turned out, except for those blasted lines! Unfortunately, I think fixing them might be outside of my skill set.

In total I only spent about $20. I picked up the Atari for $12.91 at the thrift store and less than $10 in parts.

I will like to do one like this....what should I buy.

I do remember a post about how to make it but I can<t find it anymore :(

thanks

Thanks guys!

I will like to do one like this....what should I buy.

I do remember a post about how to make it but I can<t find it anymore :(

thanks

It's been a while, but if I remember correctly, this is basically what I did:

http://www.atariage.com/2600/faq/index.html#composite

Except for the Audio... I don't think I could get that to work properly. I ended up pulling it directly off of the TIA and getting it to work perfect.

I had the soldering iron, solder and wires, so the only parts I bought were a small PCB and a headphone jack.

• 11 years later...
8 hours ago, Wizzard said:

I like this idea except I think that I could rather use the new RCA jack for video and an existing RF jack for audio. I have 2 AV mods with just 2 RCA jacks, so I could mod 2 Ataris like this.

If you are talking about reusing the RCA from the RF modulator, sure that is possible. Just make sure to disconnect the center wire from the modulator output on the center post and put your audio out onto it instead. And due to the years, it wouldn't be a bad idea to apply some fresh solder to the back of the RF out RCA jack inside the RF box to make sure it stays in place and has a good connection to ground still.

• Like 1

This is my first mod ever, 2600 Jr NTSC. I chose this one cause I was not able to use it with sound on my PAL TVs, so I just tried. I used that French prebuilt mod from ebay and it worked. I used the original RF connector for audio and the new one for video, I prefer to have the output connectors on the front side like the original. First I tried it just with video out without audio and the picture was deformed. I guess I just needed to connect audio too and the picture is perfect now, also the sound. That ebay kit even contains TWO mods, so I may also use it for my secons, PAL Atari later. It just contains only 2 cinch plugs, so I needed to reuse that original RF plug and it works fine. It also contained the necessary cables, so I just split every cable in 2 and the length was just sufficient.

IMG_20210218_101149.jpg

IMG_20210218_130433.jpg

IMG_20210218_133248.jpg

IMG_20210218_133611.jpg

IMG_20210218_133645.jpg

IMG_20210218_133854.jpg