IGNORED

Should I buy PSP Go or PSP Gran Turismo bundle pack?

If I buy a PSP Go, are all the games made for the PSP available for download (legally)? Also, what about new game releases? Will they be available for download the same day the UMD are released?

As for the unit decision, battery life is important to me, and screen size, which would be better?

I don't know about the game issues specifically. In that I don't know if all the older game titles are available or not or if they ever will be if not. I do know Sony changed their mind on making sure existing PSP owners could convert their umd bought games to the Go for free citing all sorts of apparent issues.

From what I've been told/read however, the screen on the Go is smaller and the battery life is weaker than the ones in the PSP3000.

I would buy a PSP with a UMD drive. You can still download anything from the PSN store with the PSP1000, 2000, or 3000 models. Battery life will be shorter playing games off of a UMD than it will be with a memory stick. Higher capacity batteries used to be avaialable for the PSP2000 and 1000, I do not know if they still are.

Also consider if you buy a PSP Go you will not be able to snag that cheap game from the Wal Mart bargain bin, or buy a used game. You will also not be able to sell a game you do not like.You will also not be able to shop around for new games.

I think the best solution overall is to find a used hackable PSP 2000 model or any PSP 1000 model, install custom firmware on it, and rip any UMD you buy to the memory stick. That way you get to have the physical media and enjoy the advantages of playing games off of the memory stick.

• Like 2

They converted a ton of games to digital but not all of them. I think I read somewhere its around 255 games.

I read that all new games are digital only. UMD is gone for good.

If you already own a PSP and you buy a PSPGo you may be able to get three free PSP games according to this:

http://www.destructoid.com/pspgo-rewards-offer-free-games-to-previous-psp-owners-149756.phtml

Screen is a bit smaller and I dont know about the batt.

I have no reason to get a GO, eventually when the price drops I will.

I love the digital only move, it saves me time and space.

Thats why I play more XBLA games and PSN games than I actually play retail bought games.

Sony said repeatedly that PSP games would be offered in both formats for the foreseeable future. If what you say is true, then it's yet another broken promise by Sony, as well as a giant "FU" to the PSP's modest-sized but loyal install base.

I am now VERY glad I didn't buy a PSP when I originally had the urge.

Sony said repeatedly that PSP games would be offered in both formats for the foreseeable future. If what you say is true, then it's yet another broken promise by Sony, as well as a giant "FU" to the PSP's modest-sized but loyal install base.

I am now VERY glad I didn't buy a PSP when I originally had the urge.

And broken mere weeks after the Go's release as well, if true. I guess they only intend on keeping the PSP3000 unit itself available along side the Go. (But we'll see how long it takes them to run out of stock I guess.)

I do not have a PSP, although I do have a PS3 and a DSlite.

From what I've read, the PSP Go is a step backwards from the PSP w/UMD. About the only advantage of the PSP Go over the PSP is the smaller size (when closed). But the disadvantages are numerous:

1. no older / used / rental games
  2. smaller screen
  3. more expensive (smaller) flash memory
  4. unknown durability of slide-out controls
  5. smaller form factor may be less comfortable
  6. various roll-out screwups

And the PSP w/UMD is capable of downloading games, just like the PSP Go. So if you've been putting off buying a PSP, I'd recommend scooping up a PSP w/UMD before they're gone.

Just get the 3000. It does everything the Go does, costs less, and runs longer. Actually there is one thing it doesn't do that the Go does: the 3000 fails to render the entire PSP UMD library obsolete and unplayable. What a pity.

If you find yourself hurting for memory down the road, well, you saved 50 bucks and got a game with it, so take that and go get some memory sticks.

Wow...sony already killed the UMD? and people said I was nuts when I said it would happen (even I wasn't expecting it that fast though)

Another fuck you to sony though. Next thing they'll do is have a firmware "update" that somehow makes the system think the drive is broken, so in order to keep playing neew games, you'r going to have to upgrade anyways :P

Sony hasn't killed UMD releases, people are just making that up. What they did say is all PSP games will see a digital release on PSN on release day. Nothing more, nothing less.

They're not about to abandon a 55 million or so userbase that they fought long and hard to secure.

I'd get a PSP 3000. You can put a 16 gig memory stick into it and still get it cheaper than a PSP Go. All you'd basically be losing out on are a few small features, such as bluetooth and the game save state features.

Another fuck you to sony though. Next thing they'll do is have a firmware "update" that somehow makes the system think the drive is broken, so in order to keep playing neew games, you'r going to have to upgrade anyways :P

Stop giving them ideas!!!!!1!one!11!

But then I never connect my PSP to the net nor have any plans to, so I should be good.

Stop giving them ideas!!!!!1!one!11!

But then I never connect my PSP to the net nor have any plans to, so I should be good.

That's the great thing about firmware updatesthough, you don't have to hook up to the internet, at least, most of the discs I own have an update on them (but only would require an update if the newer update ishigher than your current version)

I've always been a bit leary of the system being "updatable" in this way (though I don't really see them actually doing something like that, it's at least from a technical standpoint, possible) There's absolutely nothing to prevent them from programing in a set lifespan for the system, for that matter.

For instance, if they wanted to curb piracy, it would be easy enough to add a firmware update to refuse to read a file over a certain size from the memory stick....say 10MB (I think all saves are under this, and most, even 320kps MP3's are too) Production run games and UMD movies would all go well beyond the limited file size, and not load, while the save data all falls under and would still be accessable.

Of course, that's why people got custom firmware....and other systems :P