IGNORED

Prince of Persia

José Pereira

I'd recommend not posting any more previews, it'll demotivate you. Keep moving forward...

I think that people can get motivated or demotivated by several reasons, in this case, it doesn't demotivate me to have some feedback, why did you get demotivated?

BTW: I was extremely motivated by your work on PoP for C64!

I think that people can get motivated or demotivated by several reasons, in this case, it doesn't demotivate me to have some feedback, why did you get demotivated?

Motivation is not a constant, it comes and goes.

Trust me, you'll need all the motivation you can get to pull through with this, and any time you get positive feedback you have a little bit less of a reason to finish, because you've already got some of the gratification. IMHO it's best to defer all the praise to the end of the project, so you have something to look forward to.

But, hey, what do I know? :)

• Like 5

Cool video :)

Loved the bit where you keep looking up and down hoping it will load ! :D

ps. And people around you deserve a beer for cheering so good :)

The guy in the computer is a friend of mine, I was recording the video :-)

Those are great friends, every time I've told them that I have a "crazy idea", they gave me their support from the beginning.

• Like 6

I'm still with only the phone so who did that screen and where is it? And having 39KBs does it also include the text screens (if it does please post them here also. Thanks) with sounds and has .g2f file(s) somewhere?

I can see by looking the picture which are the PFs and PMGs but would be good to know who is the author and contact him to get the colour information and together see if it can be used in the current coding.

Edited by José Pereira

Really great intro there!!

Now, from the PoP project point of view we should take it only as a reference. All the cinematics in the game are done with the same graphics set as the game, it uses the same rendering engine and so on. In this case, the background comes from the palace graphics set and I know that there is one guy working on those graphics already.

Only if there is a strong reason, we can use more memory on some extra graphics.

You want demotivation? You want me to talk your work down?

okay, I see only static pics no moving sprites or animation!

kidding, mate :) I assume this aren't "simple pictures". As long as you aren't "RPG Games" in disguise I would never :P

Keep up working. I'd suggest to hold back on previews for one reason, the impact on "us" not in the know would be bigger in contrast to seeing every step of the way.

You can make videos showing the progress later. At least that's how I do it (except for a few beta testers I feel I can trust of course).

• Like 1

Hi Franco,

You've done a really good job so far and I enjoy watching this project.

Don't take what I say as needing to be definitely done, but I do not see why you don't use the already created introduction scene?

OK, you could code it yourself, using code from the main engine, but the way I look at it is that this code is already done and is less work for you (unless you want to keep it all your own, which you have every right to).

The intro could load, play and then load the main game from there, so no extra memory will be taken up by the animation.

As said, this is _your_ project, so don't feel pressurised by anyone, especially me, it's just a suggestion.

Steve

Yes it could be, but maybe the way you're saying that's also the same I always thought about and that it could be better and saving Memory but now and the way things are may not go with the game engine.

That part is for the end of the coding and I may have to now agree with Franco and believe me that the way that screen is done and the prince, girl and the vizier sprites are planned it will have to be almost all changed and also some colours.

That screen will for sure have a nice looking but we all have to wait and by now the best is we all know that the things are going and feeling happy everytime Franco post news and videos...

:)

• Like 1

Hi Franco,

You've done a really good job so far and I enjoy watching this project.

Don't take what I say as needing to be definitely done, but I do not see why you don't use the already created introduction scene?

OK, you could code it yourself, using code from the main engine, but the way I look at it is that this code is already done and is less work for you (unless you want to keep it all your own, which you have every right to).

The intro could load, play and then load the main game from there, so no extra memory will be taken up by the animation.

As said, this is _your_ project, so don't feel pressurised by anyone, especially me, it's just a suggestion.

Steve

I'm seeing the game as a whole. From that perspective, the intro is just one of the many animations that happen in between the stages of the game. As you advance, the palace scene changes a bit, for example adding a sand clock, the princess lying in bed and so on.

There is another big problem there. The intro presented is using all the colors assigned exclusively for that scene, but the game needs other color design, even in the palace background, for the Atari restrictions and for all the use cases considered, it can't use the colors that way, so the intro would look out of place.

Anyway, don't take my word as final. As we advance, things become clearer and we may make changes.

• Like 6

You can gain a lot of insight about this game by reading how it was developed originally: http://www.jordanmechner.com/downloads/makpopsample.pdf

Looks like the old HTML format has been removed. Maybe the wayback machine has it...

Anyway, it's all one unified thing. The tools used to render things got used for the level editor, game action, and various animations and scenes. It's all built off the tile engine being worked on right now.

The Apple 2 version did include one nice, double high res, 16 color title screen that got loaded in. After that, everything is running on the game engine.

And it's a fun game! Worth playing.

Edited by potatohead

• 7 months later...