IGNORED

Galaga For Atari 2600

seanhq

While I'm leaning towards that, I plan to decide on the name tomorrow when I set up the project - so keep the suggestions coming :)

Haven't had any feedback yet, so I'm going to work on updating Stella for the Bus Driver revision that cd-w did earlier this week. We didn't get ADPCM to work, though he did come up with a way to play packed samples back from ROM directly. In the DPC+ version of Frantic I had to unpack the samples into a Display Data RAM buffer first - not having to do that frees up a lot of processing time, along with 2K of RAM!

Also looking forward to his next project - Medieval Rocks!

:ponder: seems like that would involve one of these:

Replica_catapult.jpg

• Like 4

Well since you borrowed Draconian for your Bosconian clone from the Tandy Coco, how about using Galagon, the name of the coco Galaga clone :D

I like it! Reminds me of the Calgon commercial except...

Galagon... take me away! I would be saying this when I give up one of my ships in the tractor beam! :lol:

Gylygy (pronounced gil-lig-e) has a nice ring to it!

Edited by atarifan88

• 11 months later...

Hello all, my name is Jordi. I'm from Catalonia in Spain, I got my Atari2600 as a kid with tons of games installed, played several games to dead, and never tought I will look back, but now as an adult I find several games as direct, honest, fun games worth revisiting and some games fun to discover like Berzrk that never played before.

Now that I presentes myself, I want to ask If a Galaga homebrew game was ever released for the 2600.

Thanks

Hello all, my name is Jordi. I'm from Catalonia in Spain, I got my Atari2600 as a kid with tons of games installed, played several games to dead, and never tought I will look back, but now as an adult I find several games as direct, honest, fun games worth revisiting and some games fun to discover like Berzrk that never played before.

Now that I presentes myself, I want to ask If a Galaga homebrew game was ever released for the 2600.

Thanks

No

Never say never. With bus stuffing and cdf, there's a very real possibility within the next year or two. I loved the monochrome screenshot demos as well, almost gameboyish. ;-)

2600 Galaga was actually a topic of discussion between me & someone I finally got to meet in person at the recent Freeplay Florida show. And yes, I agree that it's not a question of if, but rather of when. It can & will be done, eventually.

What I find interesting is that since it was assigned a product number by Atari (CX26116), a programmer would have had to wrestle with these problems at some point, and they would not have had all the techniques modern day homebrew guys have at their disposal today.

• Like 3

Thanks! Nathan did an awesome job with the mockup, I only had to drop the images in my converter, paste the output into the 128 pixel demo, then make a few minor changes so they'd show up.

I'm almost out of room in the 128 pixel demo, so am going to have to split it out into a new project before I can do anything else with it. Like my other arcade ports, I need to come up with a new name:

Anybody have suggestions?

Galactic Pests

Galactic Pests

I thought we had decided on Cicada? :grin:

Cicada (singular) sounds good to me. Same number of letters as Galaga, and it would be pretty easy to convert the Galaga logo into it.

Like so...

attachicon.gifCicada-logo.jpg

(Yes... it's a little sloppy. But no point in spending much time on it while it's still speculative.)

Namconia (little tribute to Namco for bringing Galaga back in time)

Galaxis

Cocoonia

Galactus (hm, could lead to problems with Marvel)

Galacton

Galakto

Galagtron

Galapagos :)

Darillia (little tribute to Darrel Spice for the good games he had produced so far)

Spiconia (the same tribute in another name) :-D

• 1 year later...

GALAGA FOR THE 2600 BY CHAMP GAMES!

We had the honour of playing Champ Games new masterpiece with its WORLD DEBUT on ZeroPage Homebrew streamed LIVE today! Amazing work by the team of John Champeau (Coding & Design), Nathan Strum (Art & Graphics) and Ross Keenum (Music & Sounds)!

ZeroPage Homebrew: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/425229112

post-37205-0-69073700-1557965155_thumb.jpg post-37205-0-12165800-1557965164_thumb.jpg

Edited by ZeroPage Homebrew
  • Like 8