IGNORED

Galaga For Atari 2600

seanhq

Wow, mind blown! This looks amazing, and the gameplay is so smooth and spot-on! If I had to pick my #1 wish for an unreleased 2600 game, this would be it, and here it is, unbelievable! Great job to all involved.

Up till now Lady Bug has been my favourite 2600 homebrew, but I suspect Galaga might top that...

In any case, I’m very happy this was kept a secret, because otherwise the wait would have killed me :)

• Like 5

GALAGA FOR THE 2600 BY CHAMP GAMES!

We had the honour of playing Champ Games new masterpiece with its WORLD DEBUT on ZeroPage Homebrew streamed LIVE today! Amazing work by the team of John Champeau (Coding & Design), Nathan Strum (Art & Graphics) and Ross Keenum (Music & Sounds)!

ZeroPage Homebrew: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/425229112

This is like a dream come true peeps. Instabuy this and Bob's Baby Pacman. I hope I don't have to wait until after PRGE to buy these. I do have a slightly upgraded 1up Galaga cab at home. Favorite game of all time. I still cannot believe the guest in the video has never played Galaga before, lolz.

Cheers guys, Alita!

• Like 2

Unfortunately it cannot be bought digitally. :(

You are on a retro collecting forum. The cart should be available in the store at some point. Also if past releases are any indication, many homebrew authors release their ROMs for play on Harmony and/or Stella. Albert is also working on creating a digital storefront, so options may be made available in the future if you don't have hardware or cannot afford to buy physical games forwhatever reason.
  • Like 3

Amazing!

There's a small chance that an actual prototype of Galaga for the 2600 exists, but it probably wouldn't have been very far along. Greg Easter was listed as the programmer but he said he never was assigned to the game. I'm guessing it was one of the titles they were considering but never got around to doing.

• Like 1

Hi VectorGamer! We play on an RGB modded light sixer outputting via SCART to a Framermeister. The Framemeister upscales the image to 720P60 and outputs via HDMI to an Elgato HD60S video capture device. I then stream the non-scaled 720P60 capture in frame of a 1080P60 stream via OBS at 3000 kbps to Twitch and locally saved file. Fun!

RGB Light Sixer -> Framemeister -> Elgato HD60S -> OBS -> Twitch

What are you using for video capture?

• Like 3

It's certainly handy! 300Mbps down and 15 Mbps up! LOVE IT!

I mean, I livestream but also upload HUGE files all the time as a filmmaker so I need the speed.

Speed Test.jpg

I get 3Mbits down, 400kbits up. I upload a ten minute video to youtube and it takes like 6 hours... ? I doubt I could live stream any higher than 360p.

Amazing!

There's a small chance that an actual prototype of Galaga for the 2600 exists, but it probably wouldn't have been very far along. Greg Easter was listed as the programmer but he said he never was assigned to the game. I'm guessing it was one of the titles they were considering but never got around to doing.

I'm curious as to what could have been done with the tech at the time. Say no more than 32k and a SARA for extra ram at the most. The ARM on a cart of today make the 2600 do things it never, ever could do on it's own back in the day that is for sure.

I'm curious as to what could have been done with the tech at the time. Say no more than 32k and a SARA for extra ram at the most. The ARM on a cart of today make the 2600 do things it never, ever could do on it's own back in the day that is for sure.

i was under the impression this one doesn't rely on arm, and will run on a harmony, or any emulator, and that a normal Cart release is being planned.

This is fabulous. A definite-buy for me once it’s available.

I’m curious - will you guys release a WIP ROM for those who prefer emulation or who like to “try before you buy”? And if so, will it run on a standard Harmony Cart?

Thanks!

The game does run on a standard harmony cart (encore version not needed) using the ARM processor programmed with the new CDFJ driver.

i was under the impression this one doesn't rely on arm, and will run on a harmony, or any emulator, and that a normal Cart release is being planned.

Yes, a demo version of the game for everyone to play will be released once development of the game is finished! Hooray! The demo will run in Stella (you need the new version that runs CDFJ, currently in beta) or on a standard Harmony Cart.

I’m curious - will you guys release a WIP ROM for those who prefer emulation or who like to “try before you buy”? And if so, will it run on a standard Harmony Cart?

Edited by ZeroPage Homebrew