IGNORED

Galaga For Atari 2600

seanhq

I picked up Wizard of Wor and Galagon as well. Both are outstanding ports. The former has like 99 levels, and is probably now the definitive home version, better even than the Astrocade port. Galagon is something I never in a million years thought I'd be playing on a 2600. Throw in Mappy, Draconian, Scramble etc. and we are truly living in a new 2600 golden age in terms of game quality.

• Like 10

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
1 minute ago, lucifershalo said:

nooooooo.....why two different labels? ?

We couldn't decide which we liked better!  The label artwork on the left is on the front of the box.  The label artwork on the right is on the back of the box, and also the front of the manual.  The game includes a double-sided poster featuring both designs!

..Al

• Like 2

The dual labels are also meant to be a nod to the gameplay. I've always thought that, depending on whether or not you have dual ships in the game, it can really feel like you're playing a different game. Single ship doesn't have the firepower but you feel more nimble and you're a trickier target. Dual ships give you more firepower and a feeling of invincibility. But it also makes you a bigger target. So we made a label for each style!

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, lucifershalo said:

nooooooo.....why two different labels? ?

You think that's bad... just wait until we make Gorf with five different labels!

(I am totally kidding!)

(There will only be four.)

;) 

(Seriously - there will be just one. I'm not nearly that ambitious.)

• Haha 6

1 hour ago, Albert said:

We've created two different labels for Galagon, both featuring Dave Dries' beautiful artwork!

galagon_labels.jpg

Which is your favorite?  You'll get to choose in the AtariAge Store next week!

..Al

I can't decide, so I look forward to having one of each.  I love this artwork.:thumbsup:

1 hour ago, Albert said:

We've created two different labels for Galagon, both featuring Dave Dries' beautiful artwork!

galagon_labels.jpg

Which is your favorite?  You'll get to choose in the AtariAge Store next week!

..Al

I like the artwork and layout much better on the right, but what about swapping the colors of the title? Green set with the right artwork. Think that might look best IMO.   

2 minutes ago, save2600 said:

I like the artwork much better on the right, but what about swapping the colors of the title? Green set with the right artwork. Think that might look best IMO.   

As everything has already been printed (those are the production labels sitting on the carts above), there will be no further changes at this point.  :)

..Al

16 minutes ago, save2600 said:

I like the artwork and layout much better on the right, but what about swapping the colors of the title? Green set with the right artwork. Think that might look best IMO.   

Both color versions of the logo are used on the box, poster and manual should they should all go together as a set. We went with the same end label for everything to keep things easier for production and to keep Al from going crazy trying to mix and match everything. After all, each cart is hand-assembled with love. Not by robots.  ?

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, Albert said:

As everything has already been printed (those are the production labels sitting on the carts above), there will be no further changes at this point.  :)

..Al

You should give people the option to purchase the alternate label for a couple of bucks; some people might want the label just as a really cool sticker.

8 minutes ago, Nathan Strum said:

I want to do a lenticular label that animates as you move the cart back and forth.

But I don't think Albert wants to take out a mortgage to pay for it... :ponder: 

I've looked into it before, it's not really too expensive but the quality of the labels would certainly be significantly lower than a normal, glossy label. Might be interesting for a project where the goal was to have a lenticular label from the onset.  Or maybe make a "Special Edition" of a game that uses lenticular labels.  :)

..Al

• Like 2