IGNORED

Galaga For Atari 2600

seanhq

5 hours ago, Hoessi666 said:

Still no digital Purchases?! 2020 is almost over...

What about sending Money via Paypal and getting ROMs via Email-Attachments, if changing the Shop-System is too difficult?!

Also they could be sold over other internet-sides like for example itch.io. Alot of digital-downloads of new C64-games were sold over such sides.

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/6/2019 at 7:25 PM, Albert said:

I plan to make digital purchases of homebrews available, but can't do that until I get the store moved to new software.  I'll be doing that next year.  I've wanted to move the store to a new platform for a while, and as with the forum upgrade this year, upgrading the store is going to be a huge project for me.  But should be very worthwhile in the end.  :)

..Al

It’s been a year Al. Can we get an update on digital purchases? 

• Like 1

Just now, mario64 said:

It’s been a year Al. Can we get an update on digital purchases? 

I'll be working on this again in the new year. Got sidetracked by quite a bit this year, unfortunately.  This will be one of my priorities, along with having new 2600/7800 shells made.

..Al

• Like 6

10 minutes ago, Albert said:

I'll be working on this again in the new year. Got sidetracked by quite a bit this year, unfortunately.  This will be one of my priorities, along with having new 2600/7800 shells made.

..Al

Great thank you. Looking forward to getting some of these new homebrews :)

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Crazy Climber said:

This is still my favorite home version of Galaga...it's different enough that it's "fun again" since you know, most of us have been playing Galaga for like 30+ years now hahaha... Love the challenging stage only option too, great for a "quick blast" before work lol

I haven't been keeping up with the Atari homebrew scene in a couple years, but you're absolutely right. Galaga 2600 looks amazing. I have Galaga on so many platforms and always play it in the arcade, but I will definitely be getting this port now, too.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Rhomaios said:

I haven't been keeping up with the Atari homebrew scene in a couple years, but you're absolutely right. Galaga 2600 looks amazing. I have Galaga on so many platforms and always play it in the arcade, but I will definitely be getting this port now, too.

Yeah, it's worth it. I almost passed thinking "do I really need ANOTHER Galaga??" but the 2600's hardware limitations actually make this one better because its something new. It's also a damn good, high quality, well executed Atari 2600 port :)  Don't even get me started on how much I love Wizard of Wor as well!!! Champ games is on a freakin roll :)

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Crazy Climber said:

Yeah, it's worth it. I almost passed thinking "do I really need ANOTHER Galaga??" but the 2600's hardware limitations actually make this one better because its something new. It's also a damn good, high quality, well executed Atari 2600 port :)  Don't even get me started on how much I love Wizard of Wor as well!!! Champ games is on a freakin roll :)

Got that right!  I can't wait to see what they cook up for Gorf.  Galaga was a definite hit for all three days I was showing it at VCFMW2019.

• Like 2

I'm a tad bit biased, but anyone that's been on the fence concerning Galagon, should buy with confidence. This version is simply amazing and it really offers gameplay for everyone. But please don't just take my word, check out the AA Store Reviews

Given all of gameplay that's packed into this cart, it almost feels like a multi-cart?

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, sramirez2008 said:

I'm a tad bit biased, but anyone that's been on the fence concerning Galagon, should buy with confidence. This version is simply amazing and it really offers gameplay for everyone. But please don't just take my word, check out the AA Store Reviews

Given all of gameplay that's packed into this cart, it almost feels like a multi-cart?

It's more fun than the Atari 7800 Galaga cartridge, and a bit mind-blowing it's a 2600 version.

• Like 2

On 12/10/2020 at 1:10 PM, sramirez2008 said:

Definitely an impressive feat, much better than the approach I'd looked into (reply 102). While that was done using Bus Stuffing the 128 pixel display can also be done using CDFJ.

I see it recently passed Draconian, and now holds 11th place in the store - congrats John, well earned!

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, SpiceWare said:

Definitely an impressive feat, much better than the approach I'd looked into (reply 102). While that was done using Bus Stuffing the 128 pixel display can also be done using CDFJ.

I see it recently passed Draconian, and now holds 11th place in the store - congrats John, well earned!

Thanks Darrell!  I certainly owe a lot to you with your help with getting me up to speed on DPC+/CDF/CDFJ to make these games in the first place! :D 

19 minutes ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

Next is Thrust, which has been in the top 10 since the store exists.

Both Draconian and Thrust! are masterpieces IMO and I am honored to have Galagon ranked amongst them. :)  Galaga(on) benefits IMO from name recognition (and it's a pretty good game too) which probably explains why it has gotten to #11 in about a year. :ponder:   I'll be impressed if Galagon every overtakes Lady Bug (currently at #3!). ;)  

• Like 2

17 hours ago, johnnywc said:

Looks like Thrust! and Galagon are tied! ?  When I refresh, sometimes Thrust! shows up as #10 and sometimes Galagon. :ponder:  ;) 

When I opened it up, Thrust was in the tenth spot and then eleventh spot when I clicked on page 2. Someone could theoretically never find Galagon (or Thrust) going through all the pages because of their scuffle.

• 1 month later...
10 hours ago, Karl G said:

Here's the link for Galagon in the AtariAge store:

https://atariage.com/store/index.php?l=product_detail&p=1203

Thanks for the link. I plan to buy the rom when it's made available for purchase so I can play it on the encore. I'm also curious about updates to the website since I heard merchandise will be made available there too. I tried searching for more information on the site on the forums, but came up empty. Oops, I thought the Champ Games site was linked in the last post, but it wasn't (I meant to quote the previous post that mentioned the site). It has direct links to the store and some of the links there point to a sign in page. 

Edited by BrianC

16 hours ago, BrianC said:

Thanks for the link. I plan to buy the rom when it's made available for purchase so I can play it on the encore. I'm also curious about updates to the website since I heard merchandise will be made available there too. I tried searching for more information on the site on the forums, but came up empty. Oops, I thought the Champ Games site was linked in the last post, but it wasn't (I meant to quote the previous post that mentioned the site). It has direct links to the store and some of the links there point to a sign in page. 

Maybe we need to adopt the Shareware software distribution model for Atari 2600 roms. From my understanding, the software developers only get about a $5 royalty for each game that they sell through the AtariAge store. I would guess that Al makes at least $5 himself for each game sold, with the majority of the cost going towards production of the boxes, manuals, and melody boards. (Al needs to be compensated for assembly time)

BitD, software developers would give you free "demo" shareware versions of the software that everyone was free to distribute on floppy disks, BBS, or other means to anyone interested. 

Distribution isnt the issue any more, shareware was trying to solve the issue of software developers getting their games to the largest array of people, with only limited shelf space in Electronic Boutiques (or other software stores), so that if 1% or 5% of the people chose to buy their games they could make enough to make updates or sequels viable for the developers time. With the ubiquity of the internet, the cost of getting your software to people is nil. Any money you send to a developer is a small way to compensate them for their time.

Maybe more Developers need to link their PayPal, Venmo, Patreon,  BitWallet, or PO Box in the profile page or signature line. That way, the small percentage of people who enjoy their work, but are also willing to support it can give them something.  (Patreon support percentage is like YouTube engagement. Only maybe 10% will thumbs-up a video, only 1% will make a comment, etc. The less barriers you have between you and people wanting to give you money the better.)

This is all baring some contract that developers likely sign with AtariAge for exclusive distribution for X years, to give Al time to recoup batch printing costs.

I wonder if a similar distribution scheme to some movies would work. Buy the physical and get a code for the digital version. It has mostly been avoided in the games' industry, though the re-release of Horizon Zero Dawn for PS4 came with the digital (though the digital and physical can't be installed at the same time). 

1 hour ago, BrianC said:

I wonder if a similar distribution scheme to some movies would work. Buy the physical and get a code for the digital version.

I think it was Disney, and maybe some others, were doing that - at least for a while.  I don't know if they still do that.  "buy the bluray and get a free digital download"