IGNORED

To bad its a hoser

chriswhit

"This is an Atari 2600 game that is considered among the rarest ever made. This is the NTSC version. Defend your air space from attacking ufo's and other war craft bent on invading the earth.

This cart was made by Hozer Video."

Opinions of Hozer aside, a novice to the Atari 2600 scene would have to do research outside the auction to realize that what's for sale is a reproduction. That, I have a problem with.

Edited by BigO

"This is an Atari 2600 game that is considered among the rarest ever made. This is the NTSC version. Defend your air space from attacking ufo's and other war craft bent on invading the earth.

This cart was made by Hozer Video."

Opinions of Hozer aside, a novice to the Atari 2600 scene would have to do research outside the auction to realize that what's for sale is a reproduction. That, I have a problem with.

I know what you mean. A friend of mine pointed it out to me and wanted it till I told him what hoser video was.

Why does Hozer have such a hideous Logo/Mascot? It looks like someone who's had a dog's brain transplanted into their skull and is now on the verve of soiling themselves.

I agree. I have always hated that logo even before all the controversy and bad blood with whatsisname. It was definitely a deal-breaker for me. I didn't buy homebrews until AtariAge started selling them. I certainly didn't want that thing that looked like it was drawn by an eight-year-old tacked onto games with otherwise okay artwork.

I'm actually glad he's still using that logo because...

1 - it lets informed people know that it's a repro

and

2 - it's possibly costing him sales because it's so hideous :twisted:

Are Hozer games still as bad everyone says? Does Randy listen to constructive criticism?

For all the years Randy has been making cartridges, you would think he could be able to solder properly and get a good printer. Maybe it was harder to construct a game before PCB's like in the AA store were available, and that hurt Randy's reputation. From what I hear, as the only Hozer game I have is Edtris, he has shitty labels and bad quality in making the games.

We all know there is a market for repo carts. They show up in the Marketplace often. I commend Randy for putting this logo, goofy looking as it is, on all his carts. One it identifies the cart as a repo. And two, it shows it is a Hozer brand product. Although if you want to brand you product, it be on a good quality product.

Yeah, atleast he does put his logo on is games. I kinda like the ugly monster. Really, if it weren't for the programmer royalty issues, Hozer may have remained on top of the whole atari homebrew scene. Funny to think that a lot of the early legit limited edition Homebrews are Hozer carts lol.

I haven't kept up with his stuff, but it's true that his carts were kinda sub quality. His color labels were pretty blurry and they weren't glued well. I don't know if it was so much his soldering skills, or a crappy eprom programmer, but Hozer carts seemed to have a high failure rate. He may have changed with the times, but I really haven't cared much to check since he stopped making homebrews.

They're still shitty-ass quality. The worst part is the ghetto cheeseball sellers hocking them on eBay for hugely inflated prices hoping to fool suckers. I got suckered by a Tooth Protectors that I didn't look close enough. I figured with a $125 bin, that meant it was real. Nope. :P The seller refunded me after I returned it, but he warned me not to claim it was not an accurate description because he says it was "exactly as described" -- since it said it was "made by Hozer". Yeah, BS. It should have said "this is a $125 overpriced fake and you're a dumbass if you offer more than $20." That would have been an accurate description. The same seller sold me a legit Glib for a decent price afterwards, though. :-\

Edited by djpubba

They're still shitty-ass quality. The worst part is the ghetto cheeseball sellers hocking them on eBay for hugely inflated prices hoping to fool suckers. I got suckered by a Tooth Protectors that I didn't look close enough. I figured with a $125 bin, that meant it was real. Nope. :P The seller refunded me after I returned it, but he warned me not to claim it was not an accurate description because he says it was "exactly as described" -- since it said it was "made by Hozer". Yeah, BS. It should have said "this is a $125 overpriced fake and you're a dumbass if you offer more than $20." That would have been an accurate description. The same seller sold me a legit Glib for a decent price afterwards, though. :-\

Unfortunately, lots of newbies have been getting hozed, I do not care how you word it, it is still very deceptive :(

Edited by Frostbite Bailey

Unfortunately, lots of newbies have been getting hozed, I do not care how you word it, it is still very deceptive :(

Well, that is unless you clearly use the word "reproduction."

Are Hozer games still as bad everyone says?

they are very very well made

those people dont know what they are talking about

Gotta concur. I have carts from several years ago, I play them now and again and I've never had problems.

That said, I don't 100% support what he's doing. I think the whole, original "you can't sell my hard work" thing was overblown, considering much of what he sells are hacks of original works made freely available and/or games he was directly involved in producing on its original run (Edtris immediately comes to mind). Still, I've seen other hobbyists here selling repros on Ebay using the smallest font to let people know they are a "reproduction". In those cases it's likely to avoid them being pulled by Ebay whereas Randy is just trying to deceive. If he weren't banned from here (and IIRC CTCW as well) maybe there'd be less or no deception.

If you're a "collector", and are willing to spend big bucks on rare games (most of which are rare because they are sucky games and have little replay value) what are the odds you aren't doing a little research beforehand? Certainly I'm not justifying Randy but if you jump and buy something on Ebay just because the word "rare" appears in the descrip. you need your head examined.

Either was I'm low on funds and not likely to buy much these days, nor am I one competing for the repro buck so I guess my .02 is moot.

Edited by jetset

Still, I've seen other hobbyists here selling repros on Ebay using the smallest font to let people know they are a "reproduction". In those cases it's likely to avoid them being pulled by Ebay whereas Randy is just trying to deceive.

I wonder what would happen if some of the copyright owners would ask eBay to prevent him from selling their pilfered properties.

I've seen 2-3 recent Hozer carts and the quality of the labels is complete shit. The colors are horrible, they're grainy with super huge inkjet dots, and the artwork is pixely and low-res. It's like he's still using an inkjet printer he bought in 1991 and creating his artwork in MS Paint at screen res (72 dpi).

Current inkjet printer technology is so good and cheap that anyone can make beautiful, pristine, amazing labels on the right paper, so there is no good excuse for making crappy repro labels these days.

Edited by djpubba