IGNORED

problems with xc-12

w1k

hello, today arrived new atari130xe with xc-12.. but it's a problem..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rLDp8PfKVI

what can i do for fix?

Are you sure you did give in a load instruction? By default the Play key does not work as long there is no load instruction. So switch on atari XE with START pressed and listen if you hear the BRRRR sound from the speaker. Then press a key. Play on XC12 must result in a moving tape.

Cload is also a load instruction (on basic)

As long as I saw your tape moving forward and backward, it means that the mechanism is working. Especially moving forward is a weak part in the mechanism of XC12.

But... at the end of the movie you press play, and it moves a second or two, and two slow...

if that is your problem... i'd say the belt is too weak, but since it does move forward fast, it is not the first thing to look at.

Greetz

Marius

p.s. I have a lot of XC12 with belt-issues, so it is rather common to have are troubles with xc12.

• 4 weeks later...

I am also having a frustrating issue with an XC12...

I acquired one from Europe a couple months ago (new in box), but only recently did I hook it up to try and load a couple tapes.

I am doing the whole "CLOAD" thingy and I can hear noise as it rolls on, but then the computer craps out with one of two possible errors (either 21 or (I believe 143).

I have tried connecting the XC12 to both a 65XE and an 800XL and I get the same issue with both which makes me think that there's a problem with the XC12.

Any thoughts???

Error 21 means it's not a BASIC program that was saved with CSAVE or SAVE "C:"

It might be a boot program (power on, hold START) or one you load with ENTER "C:". Such ENTER programs have longer gaps between records.

Error 143 is a Checksum Error, which usually indicates bad tape or dirty/misaligned head. Then again if it's an old tape it might be just worn. It's a good idea to fully forward then rewind old tapes to free them up a bit.

Thoughts: give the head a clean with cotton bud soaked in video head cleaner. Then leave it a minute or two to let the fluid evaporate away.

You can easily test the drive by just CSAVE a short BASIC program then try to CLOAD it back in.

e.g.

10 REM TEST PROGRAM

20 REM 1234567890

CSAVE

NEW

CLOAD

Rybags reply is perfect.

Another good test for your XC12:

Take a 60 minutes or 90 minutes tape, and try to "FAST FORWARD" that tape from start to beginning.

If the speed of the winding stays fast (not a real slowing down) the belt is ok.

Moving Fast Forward is the weakest part of the XC12. If the mechanism does that job right, it does everything right.

There are batches of XC12's which have all belt issues. And there are batches which are really perfect. I have both types a lot. The 'good ones' seem to be strong!

Good luck,

M.

• 1 year later...

Error 21 means it's not a BASIC program that was saved with CSAVE or SAVE "C:"

It might be a boot program (power on, hold START) or one you load with ENTER "C:". Such ENTER programs have longer gaps between records.

Error 143 is a Checksum Error, which usually indicates bad tape or dirty/misaligned head. Then again if it's an old tape it might be just worn. It's a good idea to fully forward then rewind old tapes to free them up a bit.

Thoughts: give the head a clean with cotton bud soaked in video head cleaner. Then leave it a minute or two to let the fluid evaporate away.

You can easily test the drive by just CSAVE a short BASIC program then try to CLOAD it back in.

e.g.

10 REM TEST PROGRAM

20 REM 1234567890

CSAVE

NEW

CLOAD

what about error 143(unresponsive device)?

that`s my issue

143 is Checksum error.

Usually means it's reading at least part of a block but there's some bad data in there.

You can also inadvertantly get one at times if you don't position the tape properly, or if you pause the drive during loading.

thanks rybags,i think the recorded needs a good cleaning because i`m getting the error 138 and 141 too....with the atari 1010 all is perfect!!!!!!!!

i will try to clean him properly and than will see.

thanks again

143 is Checksum error.

Usually means it's reading at least part of a block but there's some bad data in there.

You can also inadvertantly get one at times if you don't position the tape properly, or if you pause the drive during loading.

thanks rybags,i think the recorded needs a good cleaning because i`m getting the error 138 and 141 too....with the atari 1010 all is perfect!!!!!!!!

i will try to clean him properly and than will see.

thanks again

Could be a weak drive belt causing excessive wow&flutter too.