IGNORED

XBox vs. Playstation 3 slim

ericwierson

I know this topic has been beaten to death, but I want some new opinions (hopefully). I am going to buy either the XBox 360 or the Playstation 3 slim. I am not concerned about backwards compatabilty. Please tell me which one is the better of the 2. I have a 52in. LCD tv and broadband. Thanks.

I know this topic has been beaten to death, but I want some new opinions (hopefully). I am going to buy either the XBox 360 or the Playstation 3 slim. I am not concerned about backwards compatabilty. Please tell me which one is the better of the 2. I have a 52in. LCD tv and broadband. Thanks.

Well, it's certainly pretty subjective. My gut reaction is to say PS3. But I like many of the features of the 360, as well.

Depends on your personal taste.

The Playstation 3 is by far the better built of the two (Though I'm unsure about the redesigned PS3). Worth noting that recent 360's seem to be built much better and are close to being the reliable machine we always wished it was.

The Xbox 360 has the better controller, although it's sadly flawed due to having a horrible d-pad.

The Playstation 3 has much better multimedia capabilities out of the box, it's an excellent upscaling DVD player, plays Blu-Rays, has a internet browser, and other good multimedia options for such things as video files and mp3's.

The Xbox 360 has a superior online network that offers good online play, quick downloads, and excellent features like it's video store that put the PS3's one to shame the last time I tried it.

The PS3's online is free, and significant features seem to get added to it's firmware more often than the 360 gets anything. 360 seems to concentrate on refining what it already offers.

The integration of things like achievements, friend's list, etc., on the 360 is far better than the PS3.

Excellent to decent PSOne backwards compatibility depending on the title, and some models play PS2 games quite well, especially early US models with full hardware compatibility. Few BC Xbox titles run close to flawless on the 360.

Games tend to perform better on the 360, often being the lead development platform while the PS3 port of a specific title sometimes runs much poorer than on the 360, despite having a hardware advantage. Seems like the gap is closing or closed though as the PS3 grows its userbase forcing developers to pay more attention to their PS3 releases.

PS3 can take advantage of PC controllers in certain situations, such as USB flightsticks and throttles in at least 1 flight simulation and various Logitech and Fanatec wheel/pedal sets for racing sims. The 360 is limited to licensed 360 controllers.

The Xbox 360 is a year older than the PS3 and has a lot of nice bargain games from that era that are cheap to buy now, such as Call of Duty 2. That extra year on the market also means there's a larger variety of games available on the 360, though whatever advantage that provides is erased more everyweek as both platforms recieve most non 1st party releases these days.

The PS3's hardware is easily upgradeable with standard laptop harddrives. Expect to pay a very inflated premium to ever upgrade your 360 to a larger hard drive.

XBLA has a far more engaging selection of new titles than PSN does (Though there's still lots of nice PSN releases). However, the PSN's selection of older back catalog titles from the PSOne is getting better by the week while the Xbox Originals line is dead almost before it ever started. Both seem comparable with current generation game downloads (An area I've ignored, would rather buy a specific game on disc than pay the same amount to download it).

Netflix is something many 360 owners have enjoyed, but it will shortly be officially available on the PS3 as well. So they're comparable in that area.

That's pretty much how I view both consoles. They both have certain advantages and disadvantages. Personally, I enjoy the gaming experience of the 360 more, while I love the multimedia capabilities of the PS3. The PS3 also provides for the occasional excellent PS3 exclusive (Even in the download arena, GTI Club+, SumoDigital's remake of a classic Konami arcade racer, is excellent and not available on XBLA for one example). Also, despite preferring to game on the 360, I love that the occasional PS3 title, like IL-2 Sturmovik: Birds of Prey, allows me to use PC controllers to enjoy it unlike on the Xbox 360. Glad I have both, but strictly from a gaming perspective, the 360 has a definite edge.

Edited by Atariboy

Depends on your personal taste.

The Playstation 3 is by far the better built of the two (Though I'm unsure about the redesigned PS3). Worth noting that recent 360's seem to be built much better and are close to being the reliable machine we always wished it was.

The Xbox 360 has the better controller, although it's sadly flawed due to having a horrible d-pad.

The Playstation 3 has much better multimedia capabilities out of the box, it's an excellent upscaling DVD player, plays Blu-Rays, has a internet browser, and other good multimedia options for such things as video files and mp3's.

The Xbox 360 has a superior online network that offers good online play, quick downloads, and excellent features like it's video store that put the PS3's one to shame the last time I tried it.

The PS3's online is free, and significant features seem to get added to it's firmware more often than the 360 gets anything. 360 seems to concentrate on refining what it already offers.

The integration of things like achievements, friend's list, etc., on the 360 is far better than the PS3.

Excellent to decent PSOne backwards compatibility depending on the title, and some models play PS2 games quite well, especially early US models with full hardware compatibility. Few BC Xbox titles run close to flawless on the 360.

Games tend to perform better on the 360, often being the lead development platform while the PS3 port of a specific title sometimes runs much poorer than on the 360, despite having a hardware advantage. Seems like the gap is closing or closed though as the PS3 grows its userbase forcing developers to pay more attention to their PS3 releases.

PS3 can take advantage of PC controllers in certain situations, such as USB flightsticks and throttles in at least 1 flight simulation and various Logitech and Fanatec wheel/pedal sets for racing sims. The 360 is limited to licensed 360 controllers.

The Xbox 360 is a year older than the PS3 and has a lot of nice bargain games from that era that are cheap to buy now, such as Call of Duty 2. That extra year on the market also means there's a larger variety of games available on the 360, though whatever advantage that provides is erased more everyweek as both platforms recieve most non 1st party releases these days.

The PS3's hardware is easily upgradeable with standard laptop harddrives. Expect to pay a very inflated premium to ever upgrade your 360 to a larger hard drive.

XBLA has a far more engaging selection of new titles than PSN does (Though there's still lots of nice PSN releases). However, the PSN's selection of older back catalog titles from the PSOne is getting better by the week while the Xbox Originals line is dead almost before it ever started. Both seem comparable with current generation game downloads (An area I've ignored, would rather buy a specific game on disc than pay the same amount to download it).

Netflix is something many 360 owners have enjoyed, but it will shortly be officially available on the PS3 as well. So they're comparable in that area.

That's pretty much how I view both consoles. They both have certain advantages and disadvantages. Personally, I enjoy the gaming experience of the 360 more, while I love the multimedia capabilities of the PS3. The PS3 also provides for the occasional excellent PS3 exclusive (Even in the download arena, GTI Club+, SumoDigital's remake of a classic Konami arcade racer, is excellent and not available on XBLA for one example). Also, despite preferring to game on the 360, I love that the occasional PS3 title, like IL-2 Sturmovik: Birds of Prey, allows me to use PC controllers to enjoy it unlike on the Xbox 360. Glad I have both, but strictly from a gaming perspective, the 360 has a definite edge.

that is the most diplomatic, non-fanboyish post ive EVER read. kudos.

personally i separate the 2 by their overall worldview in terms of games. i find most 360 exclusive titles to feature rather short single player campaigns and have most of their focus on online play. on ps3 i find their games skew very much towards single player, story driven games with online play in games like killzone and uncharted 2 almost as a "bonus" (note that both have very good online play however).

it depends on your priorities. if you think online play and access to what your friends are up to is a top priority, go for a 360. however if youre more of a solitary gamer who only dabbles in online play once in awhile, not enough to justify paying for, go for a ps3.

personally im a ps3 fan. their exclusive titles simply appeal to me more and i don't play online enough to justify paying another, what amounts to, bill.

note however that while multiplatform titles generally look a little better than their ps3 counterparts, the "from the ground up" ps3 exclusive titles simply smoke the 360's.

http://ps3media.ign.com/ps3/image/article/963/963746/uncharted-2-among-thieves-20090318093719469.jpg

picture that on your nice big screen tv. :)

Edited by xg4bx

At this point, you really aren't going to go wrong choosing either. The 360 is more reliable than it used to be, like it should have been from day 1. The PS3 is cheaper than it used to be, like it should have been from day 1.

Both have great exclusives. I chose the 360, which is now my favorite console I have ever owned (given that that distinction hasd't changed before since the Genesis that is high praise). However, I don't have a PS3... yet. But I want one of those too.

I think you're pretty safe flipping a coin between these two awesome systems.

PS3 by a mile. Hell the 360 could be dead right out of the box the fail rate is so high. And the PS3 is just overall the more supirior machine.

PS3 by a mile. Hell the 360 could be dead right out of the box the fail rate is so high. And the PS3 is just overall the more supirior machine.

Sorry fanboy, that hasn't been true for quite a while. The 360's now pretty much have all their hardware issues behind them and nobody really knows how well the new PS3 slim design is going to work out.

I have both a 360 and a PS3 (Wii also but not relevant here). I'd boil it down to this. What do you want to do with it? While both have great exclusives and a lot of 3rd party support I think the 360 has more games, better games, and cheaper games (IMO). And when 3rd party games come out they tend to be better on the 360. Now if you want to play blue-ray disks also then the PS3 is definitely the way to go. The game selection isn't that much weaker and of course you get a free blue-ray player. Of course the Netflix movies on demand is awesome on the 360 though also. So if it's just gaming you want go 360, if it's gaming and blue-ray go PS3, if it's gaming and Netflix on demand go 360. Really though right now there is no bad choice between these 2 systems, now that the PS3 has become affordable and it's library has improved. Oh yea, good thing your not interested in backwards compatibility with the PS3 slim, it isn't there anymore...

Listen to Atariboy he explains it VERY good.

Pick the one that has more of the games you want to play. Remember each has its own plusses and minuses.

Right now, I have shifted back to playing the PS3 a bit more. I'm sure in a few months I'll switch back to the 360 again.

Dont listen to sorry ass Xbox 360 fanboys or PS3 trolls. Do your own research and wiki everything.

Edited by cimerians

Dont listen to sorry ass Xbox 360 fanboys or PS3 trolls. Do your own research and wiki everything.

Also head over to a local game store and try out the systems.

Many stores will even let you choose a game to play.

Both systems have their perks, just get a hands on feel for both and go with your gut instinct.

I doubt a person would be disappointed regardless which they ended up purchasing.

I notice that some ported games are usually better on the Xbox 360 with the exception of some games that are delayed and then released with more content for the PS3.

But if its a straight port the PS3 usually suffers a bit in a small way. (DLC's being delayed or maybe a graphic glitch)

Its usually very minor things but to me its important enough to get the 360 version.

Exclusive's are another story, both the 360 and the PS3 are excellent exclusive machines. (I finally got my PS3 Uncharted 2 on order. :D)

I made the same decision a year ago for ps3, the only valid option in my mind. Sure back then everybody said that microsoft had finally fixed their hardware problems, just as they say now. But it wasn't true then, and for all I know it still isn't.

I made my purchase not really liking the ps3 (more disliking the 360), but now that I have one and use it every day I've come to really appreciate the system. It's just a great little machine with so many reasons to buy it over the 360 that I hadn't really considered at the time. Even started a pretty detailed thread on it here. ...and add pc flight sticks to that list now...

of course it's true that 360 does some things too, but I couldn't be bothered to care. It heats up to the point of reflow which is an instant disqualification as far as I'm concerned, especially when there's a perfectly good alternative system available that doesn't do it. For some reason though, a lot of folks don't mind the whole situation quite as much as I do.

Edited by Reaperman

PC controllers on PS3?

Hmmmm...just for the hell of it I plugged in my USB Atari Joystick from Legacy Engineering Group and it worked on the PS3!

Doesnt work in any games of course (I havent tried many) but it was kind of strange navigating the XMB with an Atari joystick.

:P

I wonder if it will work with il2 sturmovik? That game has the option of using certain pc usb sticks for control.

also maybe some driving games (most have usb wheel support) would take it as a generic wheel.

granted I don't think 1 button and a d-pad will get you very far in either genre.

Edited by Reaperman

When it comes to multiplat games, the systems seem almost exactly the same. X-box has the better online and support, PS3 has the better reliability. I prefer the 360 controller, but maybe you'll like the pSX pad better.

What it really comes down to, is what type of games do you like? And which system has the better exclusives? I love Halo, PGR, and Mech games, so for me it was 360 all the way....but if they PS3 still had BC, I would have gotten one by now.

And to Atariboy, that was probably the most beautiful non biased post I've ever seen (well, in a PS3vs360 type post, which are useually flame wars) Congrats

Edited by Video

• 2 weeks later...

PS3 it is then. Thanks for the information/opinions gentlemen.

What game(s) did you get when you purchased the PS3?

Bio-shock. Probably the best game I have ever played besides RE4 on the Gamecube. I am hoping to get a few titles for Christmas, but I am a little tapped after the purchase and can't get anything else yet. I am hoping Dead Rising comes out for the PS3 soon. I like 1st person shooters and rpgs, any title suggestions?

Edited by ericwierson