IGNORED

Recommend me something new in the vein of Gauntlet Dark Legacy!

Xot

Good morning AA'ers! I have come back to ask the experts for suggestions. I'm looking for some good hack-n-slash, beat'em up, basic button mashers. My personal favorite in the line has been Gauntlet: Dark Legacy. Multiplayer a plus. Doesn't have to be fantasy based. Allow me some examples:

GAMES I REALLY LIKED: Gauntlet Legends, Dark Legacy, Seven Sorrows

Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance, The Bard's Tale (Console remake with the 'snarky' bard)

X-Men Legends, Marvel Ultimate Alliance, Batman: Rise of Sin Tzu

Hunter: The Reckoning and HTR Redeemer (Wayward not so much)

Rygar (PS2 remake)

Sudeki (but is a little more RPG heavy than I'm looking for)

Castle Crashers is more or less along the lines of what I'm after.

GAMES I DIDN'T LIKE: Kingdom Under Fire: Circle of Doom, Beowolf, Rune: Viking Warrior, Morrowind (oh god so slow!), Shinobi (PS2 remake), Ninja Gaiden

GAMES I OWN BUT HAVEN'T TRIED YET: Devil May Cry trilogy, Legacy of Kain: Defiance, Kya: Dark Lineage, Pirates of the Carribean: At World's End. Feel free to steer me towards or away these.

So, who else likes to wander around randomly pressing buttons to kill hordes of foes? If you suggest something I have played, I'll comment, either on why I did or did not like it. My hope is to narrow this down and get at least one game I can get the same level of enjoyment out of as Dark Legacy. Please don't take criticism of a game you recommend as criticism of you personally!!

Console is not as important as price, so while I will eventually get, for example, Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2, I'm looking for stuff I can acquire on the cheap. I have pretty much every major console, although I do not yet have a PS3, Neo Geo or 3D0.

Not too specific, right? ;)

So, let's have it, gang. I know someone here knows the perfect game, and I want it.

Thanks for your help!

The Lord of the Rings games (for Xbox, GC, PS2) are worth a look - not great, but pretty good. Only one of them (The Return of the King IIRC) is multiplayer, though.

I just got the GBA version of The Two Towers and it is pretty fun as well; the different playable characters actually are pretty different, which is nice. It also supports multiplayer, though you're buddy will need a GBA as well - and a copy of the game, I think.

For the DC, Star Wars: Jedi Power Battles is alright; I enjoyed it although it had its share of annoyances - mostly some frustrating platforming sections.

Why didn't you like Ninja Gaiden? I absolutely love that game - it pretty much ruined every other 3D hack-n-slack game for me.

Why didn't you like Ninja Gaiden? I absolutely love that game - it pretty much ruined every other 3D hack-n-slack game for me.

You know, it's been so long since I played it that I don't remember why it didn't click with me. I'll give it another go. Shinobi, OTOH, got annoying fast with its insta-death jumping puzzles. Maybe it was nostalgia for the name but I expected more killing and less jumping.

You know, it's been so long since I played it that I don't remember why it didn't click with me. I'll give it another go. Shinobi, OTOH, got annoying fast with its insta-death jumping puzzles. Maybe it was nostalgia for the name but I expected more killing and less jumping.

Most of the reasons for disliking Ninja Gaiden, that I've heard, are for its crazy difficulty, especially the first boss. And it is VERY difficult, that first boss is like learning how to swim by being tossed in the ocean. Blindfolded. In the middle of a shark feeding frenzy. :evil:

But, really, that's what I love about it - there is absolutely no option for NG to be a button masher, you must learn the ins and outs of the combat system to succeed. And when you start to learn the moves and combos it is so rewarding - the combat system is the best I've ever played. But I'll stop gushing now. :ponder:

But, really, that's what I love about it - there is absolutely no option for NG to be a button masher, you must learn the ins and outs of the combat system to succeed. And when you start to learn the moves and combos it is so rewarding - the combat system is the best I've ever played. But I'll stop gushing now. :ponder:

Well, as long as it's worth it to put the initial investment in I'm okay with that. I'm really hoping Rune picks up soon but so far it's been boring as sin. Rygar was similar - although the initial long investment was getting the disc to work in that case. ;)

I've put NG back into the 'gonna play these' pile.

Champions of Norrath + Return to Arms, the sequel, both for PS2. Great dungeon roaming fun. Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance apparently shares the same engine (same devs perhaps.) RtA should be played with a second player; it can sometimes be a very punishing game.

To me, this series best exemplifies the Diablo school of gaming.

I haven't heard much about Sacred 2. Graphics look mighty fine. Couldn't get into the first one for some reason, but a gaming friend of mine eats it right up. This series is PC-only, as far as I know.

This series is PC-only, as far as I know.

Sacred 2 is on both the 360 and the PS3. Two Worlds is 360 only I think.

Sacred 2 is the better of the two by far, but I kind of have a soft spot for Two Worlds It's decent in a cheap jack cheezy Ed Wood kind of way.

Edited by moycon

• 10 years later...
On 10/26/2009 at 12:12 PM, moycon said:

You can try 99 Nights (If you have a 360) or any of the Koei games (Dynasty Warriors, Samurai Warriors, etc....)

I know it's ten years later but I did finally find a copy of this and you were right, Moycon. I absolutely love it.

Whoever recommended Sacred 2 was spot on too, except I found Sacred 3 and loved it.

• Like 1