IGNORED

New DSi with 4" screens

I find these incremental upgrades mildly annoying. Yes, the DS is getting better, but in a year and a half, another one will come out and this latest large-screened successor will become the antiquated predecessor. I think I would be more interested if the system was getting an upgrade to its processing power - in fact now that I think of it, won't the system be considerably more taxed to render a display at a considerably higher resolution? Would this not result in a decrease in performance? I don't know much about hardware so that's just me venturing my guess.

I find these incremental upgrades mildly annoying. Yes, the DS is getting better, but in a year and a half, another one will come out and this latest large-screened successor will become the antiquated predecessor. I think I would be more interested if the system was getting an upgrade to its processing power - in fact now that I think of it, won't the system be considerably more taxed to render a display at a considerably higher resolution? Would this not result in a decrease in performance? I don't know much about hardware so that's just me venturing my guess.

It still displays the same resolution, just bigger screens. Did you know the DSi has a faster cpu than the DS or DSL? There aren't any cart games which take advantage of this yet.

Ax, it was confirmed by Nintendo today. The idea behind the larger screens is to sell to older customers who might find the previous screens too small.

The others, not sure what the negativity is about? No one is forcing you to buy it and if a new model does come out after you buy one what is the big deal? It doesn't make your model less functional. I had a DS phat until just before the DSi came out, when I bought a DSL. I would like to see a next generation Game boy/DS whatever too, but even if you bought a DS in 2004, 6 years later they are still releasing great games for your handheld, even if they don't make phats anymore.

Do you have a link to the NOA confirmation? This upsets me because I'm 50% through buying all six of my family members (myself included) a DSi for Christmas, with three yet to go. Announcing this pre-holiday, is like shooting their own foot. Bet it doesn't work with flash cards... bet that is the REAL reason for the 'upgrade'.

AX

It still displays the same resolution, just bigger screens. Did you know the DSi has a faster cpu than the DS or DSL? There aren't any cart games which take advantage of this yet.

Ax, it was confirmed by Nintendo today. The idea behind the larger screens is to sell to older customers who might find the previous screens too small.

The others, not sure what the negativity is about? No one is forcing you to buy it and if a new model does come out after you buy one what is the big deal? It doesn't make your model less functional. I had a DS phat until just before the DSi came out, when I bought a DSL. I would like to see a next generation Game boy/DS whatever too, but even if you bought a DS in 2004, 6 years later they are still releasing great games for your handheld, even if they don't make phats anymore.

I for one would like a bigger screen, the current one is a bit too small for some games

Do you have a link to the NOA confirmation? This upsets me because I'm 50% through buying all six of my family members (myself included) a DSi for Christmas, with three yet to go. Announcing this pre-holiday, is like shooting their own foot. Bet it doesn't work with flash cards... bet that is the REAL reason for the 'upgrade'.

AX

It's not coming out in NA until sometime in 2010 (probably not until at least 6 months after Christmas) so I wouldn't worry about it. Yes, I understand there is some new piracy protection built in. The current DSi can already lock out flash cards, many of the 1st generation DSi cards don't work with the latest firmware upgrade, but there will always be some way around whatever Nintendo does.

Today is not the day to purchase any new system...THis is October where I live and when November comes to an end every manufacturer of any system will be bundling what they have to offer with goodies...maybe a free controller amybe a free game...the pspgo? You will probaly get like 5 free games because it costs nothing more than air to mail those freebies (they are only cards)

either way...if the story is true...good job holding out...if you didnt buy anything yet, give it a month before you make any console buying decisions....

good luck

Eh... bigger screen most likely means bigger system, something I am NOT fond of for portables. I want them as small as possible. I really hope Nintendo doesn't decide to start making DSi-only games to take advantage of the higher-powered processor... I like having the GBA slot in my DS, and I don't want to do the upgrade.

Eh... bigger screen most likely means bigger system, something I am NOT fond of for portables. I want them as small as possible. I really hope Nintendo doesn't decide to start making DSi-only games to take advantage of the higher-powered processor... I like having the GBA slot in my DS, and I don't want to do the upgrade.

I think it's inevitable they will make DSi-only games, but I wouldn't worry too much. The installed base of DS lights will keep most developers concentrating on games that work on both. I imagine it could end up being like how Game Boy Color had those black carts that worked with the old Gameboy, but looked better on the color.

Here is a picture that illustrates the difference (DSLL vs DSi)post-9269-125683098556_thumb.png.

You are right the new DS is pretty big. One negative I see is the size. When I work in the Summer for the Parks and Recs department. They send me to a boat launch and there is a lot of down time. I usually bring a book and slip my GBA SP in my pocket. I rarely take the DS light because it's too bulky to slip into my pocket. This new DS, while it will probably be a pleasure to look at especially outside is way too big to be portable.

Edited by Warriorisabouttodie

http://www.afterdawn.com/news/archive/20142.cfm

Claims this comes after much response to gamers wanting a bigger game screen...? Hasnt that been the goal eversince gamegear kicked gameboys butt?

what alternate reality are you from? Gameboy reigned supreme in the handheld market, putting down all their competition: Lynx, PC Express, Gamegear even Nomad...

http://www.afterdawn.com/news/archive/20142.cfm

Claims this comes after much response to gamers wanting a bigger game screen...? Hasnt that been the goal eversince gamegear kicked gameboys butt?

what alternate reality are you from? Gameboy reigned supreme in the handheld market, putting down all their competition: Lynx, PC Express, Gamegear even Nomad...

I was merely talking about the size of the screen...obviously nintendo won the handheld wars so on and so forth, but Sega did it right when they made the bigger screen...consumers were bitching then about a bigger screen so sega made thier own first party screen widener....

Thats all I was stating...the bigger screen has always been a necessity in handhelds