IGNORED

New DSi with 4" screens

I have to say, I have not been fond of the buttons on the DS since the lite. The original DS and the GBA SP, I think, really nailed it in terms of small, but comfortable and responsive buttons - they were sort of like cell phone buttons almost. But from the DS Lite on, the buttons have been the same size, but lose and squishy. I hate it. Worst of all, it's way too hard to push a diagonal on the D-pad. Nintendo sacrificed ergonomics and precision for aethetics and marketability.

.consumers were bitching then about a bigger screen so sega made thier own first party screen widener....

Most consumers weren't asking for larger screens, they wanted longer battery life. That's why the handheld with the worst screen won. Oh and they also wanted Pokemon! :twisted:

.consumers were bitching then about a bigger screen so sega made thier own first party screen widener....

Most consumers weren't asking for larger screens, they wanted longer battery life. That's why the handheld with the worst screen won. Oh and they also wanted Pokemon! :twisted:

The new DSi LL has longer battery life. Here are the differences:

50% heavier than the DSi.

Lasts an extra 1-3 more hours after charging.

Bigger touch screens (4.2") and stylus pen.

The DSi LL or XL will be released in North America/Europe Q1 2010

Edited by Warriorisabouttodie

http://www.afterdawn.com/news/archive/20142.cfm

Claims this comes after much response to gamers wanting a bigger game screen...? Hasnt that been the goal eversince gamegear kicked gameboys butt?

what alternate reality are you from? Gameboy reigned supreme in the handheld market, putting down all their competition: Lynx, PC Express, Gamegear even Nomad...

Which is amazing how stupid the public is. It was THE worst. Lousy screen,impossible to play,no back light. Yes bettery battery life but who cares,it sucked.

I have to say, I have not been fond of the buttons on the DS since the lite. The original DS and the GBA SP, I think, really nailed it in terms of small, but comfortable and responsive buttons - they were sort of like cell phone buttons almost. But from the DS Lite on, the buttons have been the same size, but lose and squishy. I hate it. Worst of all, it's way too hard to push a diagonal on the D-pad. Nintendo sacrificed ergonomics and precision for aethetics and marketability.

For me it is just too small to play comfortably, being 6"5" and big hands doesnt help.. Thats why a bigger DS with a bigger screen appeals to me anyway.

Makes me glad I didn't buy a DSi. I'd rather get one that is larger with bigger screens. My handhelds never leave the house, I own them to experience their games only so any possible decrease in portability is minor at best for me.

There's zero chance of it happening since it would only be useful in a small subset of it's library (Such as Mario Kart DS and Super Mario 64), but I'd love to see tv/out cables for it so you could output the top screen to a television.

Edited by Atariboy

Interesting, I guess. The GBA Micro was the first handheld where I just had to say F-it, I can't play this. So on the one hand I see the appeal of a larger form factor.

On the other hand, this totally contradicts whatever Sony's market research people found to justify the PSPgo--they obviously thought people wanted something smaller, now Nintendo thinks people want something larger... WTF?

I wish they'd quit this crap and bring on the TRUE next-gen handhelds already.

Personally I'd rather see a larger version of the Nintendo DS Lite, not the DSi. The DS Lite still had the backwards compatibility with GBA games.

Yeah, and with a larger footprint they could probably squeeze in some GBC hardware too. :lust:

(now if they would just enlarge the D-pad so my thumb doesn't get a charley horse when I play that would be splendid)

For me it is just too small to play comfortably, being 6"5" and big hands doesnt help.. Thats why a bigger DS with a bigger screen appeals to me anyway.

bingo, us larger men could crush these little dinky handhelds without thinking about it. A little bigger and stronger system goes a long way at my house also :)

Screw it, a lot of the DS games look bad enough, a step down even from N64 graphics, it would just show more on the bigger screens. Besides, I LOVE my DS Lite! Want to know why?

I have a Flash Card, on it, I have an Atari 2600 emulator, SNES, Genesis, NES, and eBook reader, Colors (photoshop essentially), and DSDoom, + whatever NDS roms I feel like playing, and a GBA slot. So if anything, it would be a downgrade. :thumbsdown:

I never liked the super small screens of portables, and a bigger screen is a huge plus for me. I always kept my DS in my backpack anyways, so a few extra inches is trivial compared to being able to see the game. This is especially true for stuff like Konami Arcade Hits where the sprites are tiny, and any movement of the unit made it hard for me to focus on the action.

As it stands, I unloaded my entire DS collection on ebay this last month and don't plan on restarting it any time soon so no DSi LL for me. This would have been right up my alley had it come out a year or two ago.

Screw it, a lot of the DS games look bad enough, a step down even from N64 graphics, it would just show more on the bigger screens. Besides, I LOVE my DS Lite! Want to know why?

I have a Flash Card, on it, I have an Atari 2600 emulator, SNES, Genesis, NES, and eBook reader, Colors (photoshop essentially), and DSDoom, + whatever NDS roms I feel like playing, and a GBA slot. So if anything, it would be a downgrade. :thumbsdown:

How many of those emulators actually run well, though?

NES, Atari 2600 and original Gameboy/most Gameboy color run fine. I have tried just about every emulator on the DS and unless you are really forgiving (I'm not) Genesis, TG16, SNES, Atari 8bit, C64 etc are for 95% of the games too slow.

I don't get the argument anyway, so you love your DS Lite with a flash card(it's great I agree) but you will be able to get a flash card for the DS XL too...

As far as the screens they are not just going to be bigger. Yesterday they announced the screens will be viewable from any angle, so they will be brighter and sharper. I have a feeling all this skepticism regarding the screens making the games look worse is unwarranted.

I don't get the argument anyway, so you love your DS Lite with a flash card(it's great I agree) but you will be able to get a flash card for the DS XL too...

It's not guaranteed. Nintendo just might figure out how to make the flash card lock out good enough that flash card developers will give up. They're playing the firmware game like Sony now, which is not an issue on the DSLite. It may seem unlikely, but Sony has kept people out of the later PSP2000s completely, and somewhat out of the 3000s.

As far as the screens they are not just going to be bigger. Yesterday they announced the screens will be viewable from any angle, so they will be brighter and sharper. I have a feeling all this skepticism regarding the screens making the games look worse is unwarranted.

I have to concede this point. Until I saw them, I never would have believed the backlit GBA SP screen is so much better than the regular SP, or that the DS Lite screen is so much better than the original DS. So maybe Nintendo will pull out a big improvement here too. I still won't buy one. :)

It's not guaranteed. Nintendo just might figure out how to make the flash card lock out good enough that flash card developers will give up. They're playing the firmware game like Sony now, which is not an issue on the DSLite. It may seem unlikely, but Sony has kept people out of the later PSP2000s completely, and somewhat out of the 3000s.

You could be right, but this is how I look at it. Yes, it may be possible to somehow keep DSi only games locked out, but how they can keep games that play on the DS/DS Lite from running off a flash? It seems any kind of piracy check that keeps a flash cart from running will eventually be hacked and anything else (constantly updating the firmware to fight off the current generation of carts) is again negated by two things: Flash cards are cheap and for 10 bucks you can buy a new one that works and they cost like 50 cents to make in China so there will always be teams working to fight Nintendo at each stage of their defense. I don't see Nintendo being able to do much about the current piracy efforts that will last with hardware/firmware but that is with the DS. One look at the PS3 and it's obvious if you design a system from the get-go to fight off the pirates it's possible to keep them at bay.. and not the pirate bay lol (sorry dumb joke) I imagine the ease at which the Wii and DS systems can be modded will be addressed in Nintendo's next generation console/handhelds platforms.

I have a DSL but I never had a problem with the DSi's lack of GBA compatibility. I have a GBA SP2 and to me it is perfect for GBA/GB games so I never play them on my DSL, but if I do buy a Dsi xl someday, I know I would love to play GBA games on those big screens!!

-NesDS runs 100% for me, and looks great. Only flaw is no save support.

-SNEmulDS runs really good, and looks beautiful on the DS, but not all games work.

-StellaDS VERSION 7.1 runs 100% every game works and sounds good. Some sounds are slowed down in some games.

-jEnesis works flawlessly aswell.

For the emulators that do run well, I think the DSl does it better than the PSP 1000, and thats from personal experience. The only 1-up the PSP gets, is I can play some N64 games on it.

But you know what the DS is really missing out on? A good port of Nostalgia, using the bottom screen ad the Intv controller would ROCK.

Bigg ass screen...at the same res, may look like crap. The DS isn't the most beautiful thing to look at as is, compare it to say...PSP, and you can already see the difference in resolution. And that's from a classic DS vs PSP, imagine when this huge screen version comes along and magnifies it further.

Dom't get me wrong, I'd love a bigger screen...as I'm old and senile, I mean, blind so it would do me good. But if I was Nintendo, I would have, say, quadrupled the resolution, double height, double width, it would have slightly smaller pixels if all used seperately, and still be able to use the DSi spacific functions to have high res games.

As forr processing, I don't think that's an issue, yeah it's a weak system, especially compared to what else is out ther, but it's going to be more dependant on the games weather the screen size will matter or not.

Imight just get one...at least...untill a suitable DS emulator comes out, then I'll just move to my netbook with that too and say feck it :P

Lies! I wanted Tetris. .... wait, they had that too! :D

I find this larger DSi really a non-issue in the grand scheme of things. It's functionally identical to the current DSi except for a larger screen. (Same resolution, just larger.) The only people losing here are those that jumped on the DSi but could really benefit from the larger screens due to eye problems or whatever. Early adopters always face this kind of risk. (And at this point you should be expecting incremental upgrades from Nintendo!)

I'm still sticking with the original DS brick however. No need for downloadable content that the DSi offers and until a bunch of must-have DSi only games (physical releases) are available, I'm content with what I have. Meaning they can release another few variations of the DSi between now and then and I'll have plenty of choices to choose from if it comes down to it! ;)

I just cant believe how many versions of the DS they are coming out with. The thing has been around for quite a few years now... im ready for an entirely new system. I wont "upgrade" because I'm fully satisfied with my DSL.

Come to think of it, Sony seems to be milking the PSP as well.. 1000, 2000, 3000, GO.. (which was a horrid idea imo)

All this million versions and variations of a system, and constant "upgrades" reminds me of Sega.