IGNORED

DJ Hero

Gregory DG

Got an outstanding review over at IGN... Aren't we tired of these type of games yet? Jeesh...

I guess I don't get it. I got bored with Guitar Hero within 2 weeks. I'd prefer to, you know, DO THINGS in video games instead of mindlessly press buttons. Now you get to mindlessly press buttons to a bunch of BUTCHERED classic songs! Yay!

Oh well. Back to Advance Wars for me...

Edited by Gregory DG

I liked this comment at Kotaku:

i picked up the game this morning and was super excited but I must confess after about 4-5 hours, I'm already getting bored. some of the mixes are AWESOME but there are a lot that have so many edits/scratches/stop/starts that it starts not sounding like music anymore. the Grandmaster Flash remixes which I assumed would be amazing are long noise fests, with him constantly talking over them. it's a good game and the challenge is fun, i just don't think it has the staying power of GH or RB.

I think the plastic peripheral fad/phase has jumped the shark.

We're a bunch of white nerds in our 30s and 40s. Did you expect this to be a rap-friendly crowd?

:lol: Well...some could be in there 20's or 50's (you ageist bastid :P ) I like all kinds of music, even some rap...the old school (And no not emenemimum...F(censor) him)

But I saw a blown up pick of the controller, I'm familiar with DJ/ing using a turntable to ruin records...er...I mean "remix" by shuffling the record back and fourth over a certain tune, but the controller is a recordish shaped plastic square, with GH buttons on it...WTF?!!?

Maybe I'm just not "cool" anymore (like I ever was, but I won't say that outloud :P ) but I don't really see the appeal in this type of game, and the latest ones are getting worse.

We're a bunch of white nerds in our 30s and 40s. Did you expect this to be a rap-friendly crowd?

:lol: Well...some could be in there 20's or 50's (you ageist bastid :P ) I like all kinds of music, even some rap...the old school (And no not emenemimum...F(censor) him)

But I saw a blown up pick of the controller, I'm familiar with DJ/ing using a turntable to ruin records...er...I mean "remix" by shuffling the record back and fourth over a certain tune, but the controller is a recordish shaped plastic square, with GH buttons on it...WTF?!!?

Maybe I'm just not "cool" anymore (like I ever was, but I won't say that outloud :P ) but I don't really see the appeal in this type of game, and the latest ones are getting worse.

Yeah, I don't get how this record is supposed to spin, if it can at all. It might be touch sensitive, but the whole point of deejaying is to actually SPIN the record to scratch it.

Yeah, I don't get how this record is supposed to spin, if it can at all. It might be touch sensitive, but the whole point of deejaying is to actually SPIN the record to scratch it.

I don't think the record can spin, the GH buttons are on the record itself, though I guess it could. I saw the commercial last night, and seeing the Emenimum remix song just sounded like crap, but the players were jiggiling some knob thing off to the side too, maybe that's how you scratch the record?

You know what they need to do? Make a music game that throws characers up on the screen, and you bang out the characters on a keyboard to "play" the music...like a musical version of "typing of the Dead" for Dreamcast or something. Now I'd buy that, and who knows, maybe actually play it :P

White nerd here, late 30s, and I used to DJ all kinds of music back in the stone age, including rap and house. Used to scratch and mix on beat with the best of them.

I think this DJ controller might be a major fail . One of the reasons why GH is neat is your hands do a crude approximation of what a guitar player does.

This DJ controller thing just fails. Buttons on different parts of the record? WTF?!? And it would have been just as easy to just make the buttons part of a fake cross-fade/level control instead.

I'll give it a shot in a store someday, but I'm not expecting great things.

I just bought Guitar Hero III at a dollar store for twenty bucks. I think Activision's just starting to feel the consequences of glutting the market with this series. Granted, it's an older game in the series, but there's been SIX games since, and I have to believe that, between the market saturation and Electronic Arts attempting to unload Rock Band, its sequel, and a half-ton of peripherals for $80, the music game genre is going to hit a brick wall soon.

Not to stir up crap here, but I can definitely see why this game is getting 9s out of 10s.

I first got into Guitar Hero at III.. and well, that was it for me. I never bought the Rock Bands or any other music game because I hated how clunky the controls were, and how cruddy the music lists were (III only had a small small handful of songs I actually liked).

I had been telling myself to wait on this since I first heard how much it would be, but I was listening to Daft Punk's Alive 2007 album in the car, and it made me go and buy the game because of how much I love this artist.

To put it honestly, the game id phenomenal. You can tell it's NOT MADE BY ACTIVISION (I wish people would see this and understand this...) because it does not feel like Guitar Hero even though it's fundamentally very similar.

First off, the Daft Punk music isn't even the best (although I love playing as Tom and Guy) and I love the game. That tells you how much the other tracks rock. The songs seem never ending compared to GH III and each one has me bopping up and down as I play.

The mechanics are also better than GH. First off, the controller actually works. I know I'll be fought on this, but the GH plastic controllers never seemed to strum at the time I'd strum them, and you'd have to strum them in only a certain, non realistic way, to make them recognize a note. This got really annoying really fast. With DJ Hero, I've found that instead of the controller being an obstacle, it's actually a welcome addition. Just playing with the controller alone is fun, and everything I do is translated to the screen. The slider switch took an hour to get used to, but now I'm a pro at it. Basically, unlike GH, if you mess up a note, it's your fault, not the cheap controller's.

This is NOT your typical music game. It's not gimmicky. Doing things like rewinding the song is almost giggle inducing fun. It's good arcade, sit down and play with no added BS, fun. The songs are plentiful and all enjoyable, and the whole experience as a whole had me gleaming all night till 2:30 am before the sudden realization of having to wake up for work in 4 hours took hold.

So if you hate GH and Rock Band, I actually recommend this. If you like arcade gameplay with controls that aren't frustrating, and happen to be a fan of any style of music but country, you're looking at your game. Basically, it's so good, the game disk is still in my PS3.. not Demon's Souls. That should say quite a bit.

Edited by DaytonaUSA

Hey i like Rap and am two years away from 40 but am talking real Rap like Sugar Hill Gang,LL Cool J,Kool Moe D,Grand Master Flash,Kurtis Blow ect you get the ideal lol.

Anyway am not for sure about this DJ Hero but am sure it will sale but the bottom of these sort of style of games with plastic controllers should be falling out soon at least i would think it would be.