IGNORED

Toobin' - attempt #2

atari2600land

A few years ago, you may remember I tried to port Toobin' to the 2600. People didn't like the fact that it didn't have any physics. So I added some. They may need tweaking, but basically what I did was studied the NES version. If you're pressing left and quit pressing it, it doesn't automatically stop like it did in the first version. Same thing with right and down.

Please note that I used way less than 4k. The reason why it's 8k is because I deleted the part about putting in the file that implements scrolling from the 4k includes page.

toobin.bas.bin

• Like 1

Changes:

* color=music on, b&w = music off

* added lives, random alligator

Next up: Putting in spears that fly across the screen (from the natives who don't like the fact that you're going down their river in an inner tube.)

Different levels will include having more than one alligator to dodge (using NUSIZ1), longer spears, thinner river, etc.

Another enemy i'd like to try is a radioactive beaver (he has to be green) that will sort of sense where you're going and he'll try to attack you.

toobin.bas.bin

Here's a new version. I've decided that the levels are called "waves" and that a new wave appears after you hit 10,000 points. Wave 2 is where the radioactive beaver, as well as some other new enemies which I haven't thought up yet) come into play (which I haven't programmed yet.) Right now, you'll be on wave 1 forever. There are two things that get you points and two things that take away lives. The two things that get you points are the cans, and a new thing which are the bars, which if you go between them, you'll get 500 points (it's 1,000 points in the NES version). The two things that take away points are the alligators, and a new spear which flies across the screen. Right now, it's kind of impossible to get hit by it unless you're at the far left, so I'd like some help on how it could make it easier to hit you. Up next is programming the beaver. Once you get 10,000 points, the guy will automatically go to the bottom of the screen and reappear at a new river (I haven't programmed this in yet, either.)

toobin.bas.bin

toobin.bas

levels have been programmed in, as well as the beaver appearing after level 1. I can't draw very good, so my beaver doesn't look very good. If anyone can draw me a beaver sprite, I'd really appreciate it. By changing the inner tube to the ball, it's the same color as the playfield so I can have player 1 be any color I want it to be, thus the beaver is brown. Everything else is green for now. I'm also going to change the music for wave 2, but I haven't done that yet.

toobin.bas.bin

toobin.bas

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
There seems to be no rhyme or reason as to why it blinks, but it does. Could someone look at the code and help me get the scanline back down to where it should be?

There should be remarks that describe the variables and remarks that say what each section does. When there's nothing but a mass of code with no explanation, it's too hard for others to know what is going on without spending too much time trying to decipher the code. REM is your friend.

Edited by Random Terrain
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I like it so far. The physics are great, and the scrolling is really effective. However, I think the first level lasts just a bit too long, and that beaver is damn near impossible to get by. Is it possible to get your little drifter to move all around the river, and approach acceleration in a Spy Hunter sort of way?

• 1 year later...

Hi, all

I was going through my computer, and found this. I spruced it up a little and added some things. Right now, you can go slower by pressing Up (which is sort of like a brake, but you're still moving but almost not.) Wave 1 is the wide Amazon River while Wave 2 is the Mississippi River. I don't know, do they have beavers in the Southeastern US? I tried to make Wave 1's music Rock & Roll while Wave 2's music is (supposed to be) jugband-type music.

toobin04192011.bas

toobin04192011.bas.bin

I've added the can throwing thing. To throw a can at an enemy, press left or right + fire. You will then throw it to the left or right of you. I've also added another level (Yukon), you start on it (for testing purposes). I tried to make some ice music, but I think this song is better suited for the Styx River (which I plan to put in as the last level, as it is the river in Hell.)

toobin04212011.bas

toobin04212011.bas.bin

Coming along nicely :)

A few things:

2. Moves a bit fast, IMO.
  3. Shouldn't need to use joystick and fire button to throw the can, unless you are throwing right, left, or diagonally. That said, I wasn't able to throw the can directly ahead of me, only diagonally. It would make the game better if you could throw the can directly ahead, and side to side.
  4. It would be more challenging if the square blocks you try to pick up were the cans. This way, if you depleted your ammo, you would be stuck having to rely on navigating around obstacles, instead of simply knocking them out of the way w/ the can.
  5. You should have multiple courses, each with a timer. If you reach the end w/ time left, it counts towards a bonus. If not, you die and then start course over.
  6. I experienced the same thing PMR did -- when you brake, you die. I think this is a bug.
  7. You should think about adding rapids. These could be sections of the course that appear sporadically, which causes you to go fast and have less control. Just a thought.

Really like where this is heading. Keep it going! :)

-B

Added a few things. Like a can counter. When this is at 0, that means you can't throw cans, you need to start picking them up on the course. The majority of the time spent on this version was getting the math right in hexadecimal (something I stink at). Also, I've divided the number of points by ten (instead of 500 points, for example, you only get 50.) This is to accommodate the can counter, which is the first digit of the score. Please tell me if you see any bugs.

toobin04229011.bas.bin

toobin04229011.bas

Hey all, I changed level 3's music, and if you survive level 3, you get to see level 4 (the Styx River). I've also added a speed up option (IMO level 4 needs it), press down to increase your speed a little. Let me know if either of these levels are too hard (or easy.)

toobin04302011.bas

toobin04302011.bas.bin

Ha! Level 3 or 4 too hard? I can't get past level 1! :dunce:

I guess I really need practice. Maybe if the collision detection just used the raft instead of the player's whole body it would be easier to squeak by those obstacles. Looks like it's coming along nicely though.

BTW, are all the river banks white?

Ha! Level 3 or 4 too hard? I can't get past level 1! :dunce:

I guess I really need practice. Maybe if the collision detection just used the raft instead of the player's whole body it would be easier to squeak by those obstacles. Looks like it's coming along nicely though.

BTW, are all the river banks white?

I forgot to mention, you're starting on level 3.