IGNORED

Refugees from rec.games.video.classic

S1500

So who used to be on this newsgroup? When comcast ditched usenet altogether(I'm not payin' for it), that's when I stopped bothering with the newsgroup.

It was not a bad ng, back in the day. My first musings on the Interwebs drew me to it where there were no forums like these or anywhere else. Sadly, the ratio of video game discussion to people peddling video game stuff got out of hand. It was like 70% postings of people hocking stuff on EBay and focus was lost.

There were some good, smart people on there. Then there was The Space Boss. That guy is a complete wackjob, and oh so entertaining. You would see his posts at 3am going "COULD ATARI HAVE MADE IT IN 1997 IF THEY SO AND SO..." and "WHAT WERE THE BEST ATARI GAMES WITH THE LETTER Q?!?". That man lived for video games. He even had a web page up with some songs he made that were just downright hilarious("defradies defradies defradies").

Sadly, the trolls & spam started to take over as expected, and it seemed like 20% of the posts was just spam from that guy selling Atari goods from his house(Bravo Sierra).

Ahh, good ol rgvc.

• Like 1

I read RGVC for many years. I think I might have posted a few times, but I just enjoyed reading it mostly. It really was a great place for collectors of classic games to share stories and even trade games. Then I took about a year off from collecting. When I came back RGVC was a wasteland. All spam. The only posts that had anything to do with classic games were for sale threads, and those were few and far between. It was a sad day.

Atariage is the closest thing that there is to the old RGVC, but it just isn't the same for me. The Digitpress forums are a joke when it comes to classic gaming. The classic gaming section includes N64 and Dreamcast. That seems absurd to me. Very rarely is there talk of anything pre-NES in the Digitpress forums. I miss RGVC.

I started reading in the late 90s (1997?) and still check it about twice a week. I rarely post because there's just nothing going on there anymore... but I hate to give up the newsgroup user interface. Pure text FTW!

Space Boss was a total douche. From his very first post, when he sockpuppeted as a guy named "Satansholl", he was trolling. Was either persona the "real" one? Who cares? It's a shame he'll be remembered as much (though not as fondly) as the group's most senior members.

Yeah, I used to be there too. Got into some pretty spicy arguments with Keita Iida, who called himself "Pooka" or "Fygar" over there. Later, he offered to sell me a copy of Radiant Silvergun for sixty bucks... still feeling the disappointment from Silhouette Mirage, I passed. Big mistake!

• Like 1

Paul Allen Panks sets it all straight for us.

Now excuse me while I go use one of Michael J. Novak Jr.'s screenshots...

Awe, the good old days of collecting. MJ Novak... now that brings back some memories... Not good ones ncessarily, but memories nonetheless.

-Lee

Ah yes. satansholl rings a bell. I hung out around '99-'01 or so. Will have to google my name to re-live some memories...

Oh yeah, and I forgot about "killfile". Anybody remember "plonk"? How come we don't say that anymore? :)

Edited by Emehr

I still say *PLONK!* when warranted.

It's pretty great now. Old schoolers get PO'ed really quick, always following up with some lame retort. "that's so 90's", etc...

New schoolers have no idea what it is. Flip a coin then. Convince them it's a compliment, and watch them go get hammered trying to use it, or just send them off on a "snipe hunting expedition", where they finally get it.

I was there 91+ Remember talking with Bob Colbert about Stell-a-Sketch, driving controllers -vs- paddles. Glenn Saunders was there later on doing the Stella CD. For a while, early on it was pretty sweet. Another good time was during the time of the Jaguar. Minter would show up, dropping dev notes here and there, and the Jag -vs- 3DO discussions (yelling, advocacy) were always fun.

Hey, it just occured to me. Where's Robert Jung? He did a nice job on FAQ's and had a good sig: "If it's got bits, I'm up for it!"

So there you go. A few random USENET memories.

I never, ever go there now.

• Like 1

I was a heavy rec.games.video.classic user back in the day. I also frequented #RGVC on IRC.

Ah yes. Things I remember from RGVC:

- The original launch of the A1FLC, both 1 and 2...

- Chris "Crackers" Cracknell (Yet Another Post From Hell!)

- Message board auctions long before eBay surfaced with GOING ONCE - GOING TWICE - SOLD on three consecutive days, but an item was "reset" if a bid came in on those final days. Got some good deals and sold a lot of stuff...

- SSSSSPPPPAAAACEWALK, TheSpaceBoss, and all of the other boobs who trolled the board. (I have a suspicion that TheSpaceBoss is actually one of the members here.)

- Ha! "PLONK." I forgot about that...

- Many tales of Bira Bira, Mr. Friendly, and Reef Store dreams

- Reading about the development of new homebrews

There was a lot of stuff going on there.

Edited by Snider-man
  • Like 1

Oh yeah, whatever happened to Crackers? I remember being saddened when he announced he was going to stop using the "...from hell!" tagline. Did he plonk himself? :lol:

Nope, he seems to be doing OK. He's out there if you know where to look.

Edited by Snider-man
  • Like 1

Yeah, the reef store dreams.

Also, me being the one to give the Cooper Black carts that name. (I did in fact confirm that a few years ago.) That was the typeface they used for their text, so why not?

The newsgroup auctions: yes kiddies, there actually WAS a time before ebay!

Also, I met SSSSPACEWALK in person a couple of times. :roll:

I bought a lot of stuff from newsgroup auctions. I remember getting many a PO to mail out and always had stuff arriving in the mail. I specifically remember buying Blueprint for the 5200 and then playing it constantly for like 3 days during a snowstorm. Probably around '96-97. I remember the Reef Store and Bira Bira as well, but I did not post every much at all.

(I have a suspicion that TheSpaceBoss is actually one of the members here.)

Me too. I'm not going to name names, but. I'm glad I'm not the only one who's pondered that.

Posted Today, 11:11 AM

I remember talking to The Space Boss about moving over to atariage for discussions, and he couldn't understand what I wa s talking about. IIRC he asked if that was on usenet. Maybe it was a blessing.

That's why I didn't give him the benefit of the doubt for too long-- stuff like the above. The stuff he said was just too stupid to be sincere, he was obviously playing the whole group. There's no way he could be as dense as he was without it being purposeful. Luckily, if he ever does show up in AA, he'll have mods to spank him back to glam-land.

• Like 1

• 7 years later...

RGVC was some good times. It was a VERY along time ago now!

I found this thread because I was just having a discussion with an argumentative person-who-lives-under-a-bridge and PLONK! came to mind, unsummoned from twenty years ago. I did a web search for it and lo and behold, it brought me here.

I would apologize for bumping a seven-year-old thread, but I'm not sorry in the least. :-D

• Like 1

alt.atari and rgvc were awesome and still available for anyone who wants to use them.

I loved it being like the wild west with no moderation.

eBay didn't exist but we had the cool newsgroup auctions.

SpaceBoss/Dr.Smith666 was a trip and pissed off so many people, even though his topics kept that group alive towards the end...remember how "glam" he was? hahaha! Crackers "from hell" was always cool. There were a few resident douche nozzles like jtaugust and maverick who felt they could dictate how much everyone should charge for their items, and when eBay started, it was a constant bitch fest.

Spambots were the biggest downfall.

Good times!

Edited by Turbo-Torch