IGNORED

The Greatest System Ever

snakes3425

Besides, everyone know the greatest system ever is the Bally Astrocade.

LOL! In the late 80's, when I sold electronics at Montgomery Ward, a customer tried to convince me of that very same thing. Said the Astrocade was still better than anything Atari ever put out. Never having played one, but vaguely familiar with the system, I knew the guy was somewhat of a crackpot. Fast forward to years later when people started posting pics of the Astrocade in action, I felt the system more closely resembled the Fairchild or Odyessy2 in graphics! Am I missing something here or does the Astrocade just sit like that as the Jaguar does with some people?

One thing I think people sometimes miss is the *reason* for the Atari 2600's longevity in the market: a large part of that longevity was I think due to the unintentional genius of it's simplistic hardware design that gave the programmer so much power to exploit the system.

So I guess what I'm saying is that just from an engineering standpoint alone I think it may be the greatest video game system ever made... :)

Not so much the hardware or architecture of the machine, but I believe if it weren't for the kooky marketing/business decisions of Atari's management and CEO, VCS would have died in the early 80's as it once did. Tramiel and his "genius" to make the most amount of money for doing the least amount of work and NOT paying for innovation is why the VCS was reborn and lasted as long as it did.

For me the 2600 is the greatest system, because I hate most of the new games.

They have great graphics, great sound but often they are not really challenging! A challenge is to score more than 5000 points at Kaboom! or clear more than one playfield at Jr. Pac-Man... ;)

So I stay to those - as a friend of me said - "blocky games", because they are fun even after 25 years.

And with the homebrews you get every year new games for the old VCS like Lady Bug or Medieval Mayhem or Juno First...

...Holger

For me the 2600 is the greatest system, because I hate most of the new games.

They have great graphics, great sound but often they are not really challenging! A challenge is to score more than 5000 points at Kaboom! or clear more than one playfield at Jr. Pac-Man... ;)

So I stay to those - as a friend of me said - "blocky games", because they are fun even after 25 years.

And with the homebrews you get every year new games for the old VCS like Lady Bug or Medieval Mayhem or Juno First...

...Holger

Except for sports, I hate all of the new games. They take too damn long to play.

"Blocky" - that's what my kid calls the Atari 2600 games...

"Blocky" - that's what my kid calls the Atari 2600 games...

Funny, my 10 year old sister said E.T was her favourite game: well, that and Centipede.

She thinks they look fine.

"Well, that's what games looked like back then, right?" is her logic to it.