IGNORED

Show your VBXE installs!

Beetle

Hi Candle... I reckon it'd look a lot better if the effect goes up and down luma on the each colour (kinda like Gauntlet).

I've not started mine properly yet... got to find a decent block of time. Will probably get the video jack ready and all the leads prepared in the little gaps I have.

Another Q, possible request: Is there a register switch which could allow normal hires Atari graphics to have unique colour for PF1 and PF2 rather than PF1 always aquiring PF2's colour.

Might be nice for that odd bit of software that runs on all machines but could have an "enhanced" look on VBXE without having to do too much coding.

Another Q, possible request: Is there a register switch which could allow normal hires Atari graphics to have unique colour for PF1 and PF2 rather than PF1 always aquiring PF2's colour.

Might be nice for that odd bit of software that runs on all machines but could have an "enhanced" look on VBXE without having to do too much coding.

Please read FX.PDF carefully. Espacially VIDEO_CONTROL register and XCOLOR bit description.

Ok so here's a quick photo of the XE with the VBXE2 installed. Thankfully, the 32-in-1 did still fit next to the VBXE2 board :) I still have yet to mount the DB9 connector on the outer casing for the VBXE, I want to make sure to leave enough room for the AOSD above the modulator when that's available.

So all in all I modified the 65XE a couple of years ago to 130XE and I added socketed 41256's at that point along with the 32-in-1 warp OS, painted the casing (along with my 1050) and bought a new keyboard. Now with thanks to Zaxon for the support at the weekend I have the additional mod to 320k, the S-video fix, and the VBXE2 installed too :) plenty more mods to do later.. especially after seeing some of Zaxon's forthcoming prototypes over the weekend :cool:

post-4724-125778683097_thumb.jpg

Tezz, thats a mess ;) who did the 32in1 mod for You? shame on him ;)

Mimo: Yes, easly ;)

Stephen, Gary: thanks, i could make any 256 colours long pattern, just can't make it longer ;)

hey that 32-in-1 was a neat job by me! :) haha but yes it does need a bit of a tidy up inside now with the new stuff added.

Ok so here's a quick photo of the XE with the VBXE2 installed. Thankfully, the 32-in-1 did still fit next to the VBXE2 board :) I still have yet to mount the DB9 connector on the outer casing for the VBXE, I want to make sure to leave enough room for the AOSD above the modulator when that's available.

So all in all I modified the 65XE a couple of years ago to 130XE and I added socketed 41256's at that point along with the 32-in-1 warp OS, painted the casing (along with my 1050) and bought a new keyboard. Now with thanks to Zaxon for the support at the weekend I have the additional mod to 320k, the S-video fix, and the VBXE2 installed too :) plenty more mods to do later.. especially after seeing some of Zaxon's forthcoming prototypes over the weekend :cool:

Thanks for the pic - it's good to know the VBXE2 fits next to the 32-in-1 mod.

Stephen Anderson

Just finished a two hour stint soldering up a 13 pin Din to Scart cable as per instructions and am not happy: at random intervals, I'm still getting the dimming effect shown in the video below:

VBXE2.wmv

Any ideas as to what's causing this? The unit is otherwise working perfectly, but obviously something's seriously wrong, as if there's some kind of voltage drop. I was getting the same problem with a primitive cable before I made up the proper one.

Just finished a two hour stint soldering up a 13 pin Din to Scart cable as per instructions and am not happy: at random intervals, I'm still getting the dimming effect shown in the video below:

VBXE2.wmv

Any ideas as to what's causing this? The unit is otherwise working perfectly, but obviously something's seriously wrong, as if there's some kind of voltage drop. I was getting the same problem with a primitive cable before I made up the proper one.

That's a really sharp image! Perhaps a silly question, but what are you using for a power supply, and have you monitored the voltage from it?

Stephen Anderson

That's a really sharp image! Perhaps a silly question, but what are you using for a power supply, and have you monitored the voltage from it?

Yep - the picture on the LG Flatron is stunning, no complaints there. The PSU is the original brick from 1991. icon_smile.gif I have a spare - I'll give it a try.

Just a point to note regarding Electron's SCART cable instructions. With the "common ground" attached to the the RF Modulator's case, I got banding across the screen. When I unhooked the ground wire from the RF case, the banding disappeared.

Edited by flashjazzcat

Yep - the picture on the LG Flatron is stunning, no complaints there. The PSU is the original brick from 1991. icon_smile.gif I have a spare - I'll give it a try.

Just a point to note regarding Electron's SCART cable instructions. With the "common ground" attached to the the RF Modulator's case, I got banding across the screen. When I unhooked the ground wire from the RF case, the banding disappeared.

Leave it unconnected from RF modulator (common GND should be on vbxe2 board - GND pin on J4 connector) It was my mistake.

Edited by electron

I tried composite out as the sync signal but the TV decided to mix the composite signal with the RGB resulting in a grainy image. I reverted back (with no peripherals or keyboard attached) to the previous sync pick-up and haven't seen the dimming yet. If it comes back when the keyboard or SIO2SD is plugged in, I'll assume it's a power draw problem.

i can't say anything for sure

i would say yes to interferences between sio2pc and tv, but sio2sd?

keyboard? what keyboard? ps/2 keyboard?

are you sure you connected the wire to LUMA monitor output? or it was CVBS?

The Atari's keyboard: I left it unconnected while testing the picture. :)

All the wiring is correct: I've just double-checked. I'll watch out for the problem cropping up again with everything hooked up.

Still in progress here... only been able to get a little spare time each day.

Couldn't source a 14.1~ MHz crystal so took one from my second 7800. Put an NTSC spec crystal from an ISA video card in it's place - machine works but unable to verify video as the RF jack (as most of the machine) is full of rust.

Still have to solder the crystal into VBXE - not much leg length on it so can't bend it over for the lowered profile.

I replaced C24 on the motherboard with another, mounted such that I could have it more low-profile.

Then sort out the CSync to the motherboard and the computer should be practically ready to go.

Candle will not be happy here... I'm going to try running with the standard socket - looking at the socket job I did for the XEGS, I'm not confident about replacing the one in my XL.

Also have to do a little surgery on my Amiga monitor's case around the plug so that the monitor cable can plug in properly.

Edited by Rybags

Gary, what seems to be the problem?

ntsc crystals you can buy in any larger candy shop really, and on most pc motherboards if you have one spare...

if you stay with the machine socket i won't stand responsible for any damage caused by accidental unplugging of the adapter board while atari is running...

i don't say there will be any, but i put that socket there for a reason...

Got plenty of NTSC crystals here... that's why I took a 7800 apart to use for the VBXE.

I forgot to mention... the Antic chip with 11 broken legs... I fixed it and it works.

I'm sticking with default socket for now because the resolder on my XEGS Antic socket looks utterly crap... and the machine doesn't work (black screen only).

Nothing to do with laziness, everything to do with not being confident that I'd install the machined socket properly.

I know someone who's supposedly a gun soldering guy, but he's 40 minutes away, probably has lots of work commitments, not to mention a young baby.

I'll see how the thing goes... at the very least I just want to finish the install as is and verify it works. If the socket doesn't look like it'll be secure then I'll have to do the desolder + machine socket job.