IGNORED

Show your VBXE installs!

Beetle

pic: http://www.hyakushiki.net/vbxeinst.jpg

I cheated and used a rev D board which already had ICs in sockets. Wizztronics 256KB board is on the left, patched OS EEPROM with a socket that's too long on the right, and a hole in the back of the case (don't ask). I have it hooked up to RGB inputs on an OLD 19" NEC 15KHz monitor. 80-column text is pretty sharp.

Nice... I'm not sure which Core version you should use though... IIRC there's the normal "A" core, and the "R" core if it's a RAMBO compatible expansion.

R version of the core has Rambo-compatible upgrade built in. (the upgrade uses vbxe VRAM, sharing it with normal vbxe functions) So, if there is any memory upgrade already installed in the computer then user should use "A" version of the core, "R" is intended for stock 65/800XE/XL computers only.

DamageX: there is no free ride - machine sockets as on rev d are no good to hold vbxe2 board in place - it might pop up! you don't want that kind of suprise ;)

[edit]

all VBXE2 boards (except "special orders" as for 1200xl or "low profile") are configured to use FX 1.20A core, these excluded from above are running so called TEST core (AVR led lit, FPGA led blinking at 13.5Hz frequency, sawtooth present on each of video DAC channles)

Edited by candle

they are also included in this package

and its always at http://spiflash.org/files/vbxe/release.zip

I wanted to install my VBXE but I have a couple of OOPS:

- IIRC it does matter whether the machine is PAL or NTSC. I thought my 130XE is PAL, but how can I make sure it really is.

- I assume it has 4bit RAM (LH2464-10) but I had 4 of these chips instead of 2 that is in "release.zip"

- what is u34 for? It is populated in my motherboard.

Thanks in advance,

Jozsi

130xe has 4 chips where 65xe has only 2

pal machine has 14.18 crystal/oscillator where ntsc has 14.31 one

u34 is EMMU - extended memory management unit, so again - unpopulated for 65xe

Thanks for the quick answer. I was confused, because the printing on the mobo says "130XE" but there are only two memory chips (on "atari130xe4bit.jpg")

I checked the crystal and it is a 14.18 one.

Thanks again!

OK, slightly daft, slighty O/T question...

I've noticed a lot of the VBXE installs in this thread using nice small black connectors to connect wires to the headers on the VBXE board. The only place I've ever found these is on the case fittings of old PCs (power switch, LED, USB ports, etc). Does anyone know where they can be bought or have a part number or even just he correct name for them? I've searched around a couple of on line component stores but I'm shooting in the dark and having no luck.

I'd love to get hold of a supply for a couple of upgrades sitting on my shelf and I'm running out of old PCs to cut up!

They are often just called connector housings. Don't know about the other side of the Pond, but Jameco has them over here. (lots of places probably do)

Bob

OK, slightly daft, slighty O/T question...

I've noticed a lot of the VBXE installs in this thread using nice small black connectors to connect wires to the headers on the VBXE board. The only place I've ever found these is on the case fittings of old PCs (power switch, LED, USB ports, etc). Does anyone know where they can be bought or have a part number or even just he correct name for them? I've searched around a couple of on line component stores but I'm shooting in the dark and having no luck.

I'd love to get hold of a supply for a couple of upgrades sitting on my shelf and I'm running out of old PCs to cut up!

They are often just called connector housings. Don't know about the other side of the Pond, but Jameco has them over here. (lots of places probably do)

Bob

Thanks Bob, 'connector housings' turned out to be the key! I found them here on RS. I assume I should be able to find them elsewhere now I know what I'm looking for :) I need to order some IC sockets and a few other basics soon so I'll add a selection of these (and the crimp terminals) in.

Edited by spookt

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got around to reinstating the lagacy output on my VBXE machine today, and adding a second hole in the back of the case for VBXE's DIN 13 plug:

post-21964-126693933192_thumb.jpg

I'm happy with the way the icon and label (previously signifying RF output) are preserved. This is how it looks from the inside (not wired up yet):

post-21964-126693933596_thumb.jpg

I used a dremel and sanding drum, then finished it by hand with a file. Still room for a couple of Stereo RCA jacks in the middle, and the other end of the case is left clear for I/O stuff.

Edited by flashjazzcat

Finally got around to reinstating the lagacy output on my VBXE machine today, and adding a second hole in the back of the case for VBXE's DIN 13 plug:

post-21964-126693933192_thumb.jpg

I'm happy with the way the icon and label (previously signifying RF output) are preserved. This is how it looks from the inside (not wired up yet):

post-21964-126693933596_thumb.jpg

I used a dremel and sanding drum, then finished it by hand with a file. Still room for a couple of Stereo RCA jacks in the middle, and the other end of the case is left clear for I/O stuff.

Looking at the socket mounting to the board, is it just glued or attached in some other fashion?

Looking at the socket mounting to the board, is it just glued or attached in some other fashion?

Just glued unfortunately: I'd wanted to solder it in right way up in holes drilled in the board, but I don't have the equipment to tin the holes, etc. It's fairly sturdy as is. If it ever comes off, I'll just glue it back in.