IGNORED

Show your VBXE installs!

Beetle

• 5 years later...

Has anyone installed the VBXE on an 800XL with an Antonia 4mb RAM board? It looks like they would be very close together and that connector on the side might interfere the the Antonia.

Also, do the RF and Monitor outputs still function after installation of the VBXE?

Beetle, how did you attache the din 13 connector ? Is it glued to the atari pcb ?

O.K., it´s a little bit old and not a XE, but a XEGS, but maybe it´s from interest for anybody else...

I fixed the ST-jack in my XEGS with three threaded plastic-bolts:

post-18285-0-61332600-1486914999_thumb.jpg

Sleeπ

Edit:It seems that the pictures of my install in an older thread are gone... Here they are again:

Here´s a actual picture of the board:

post-18285-0-83495600-1486915693_thumb.jpg

As connection "to the world" I used a 13pin ST-monitor-jack. It combines all signals for RGB, FBas and stereo sound. There are still some pins left, e.g. for S-Video.

post-18285-0-29405200-1486915597_thumb.jpg

The XEGS offers so much space that the upper shield still remains in the housing. Pretentively I sticked a plastic foild to prevent any kind of contact to the vbxe´s connectors.

post-18285-0-92389800-1486915626_thumb.jpg

Sleeπ

post-18285-0-41643400-1486915552_thumb.jpg

Edited by Sleepy
  • Like 3

• 4 years later...

VBXE experts, an install question. 

My 65XE board revision C1 is a bit different than the one in manual. Can someone confirm my assumption? On schematic I have marked two connections that needs to be severed, that is, I need to remove L34 and R18.

schematic

65xe_01--freddie.thumb.gif.cc0f50dbf6295a9b85c7cff2c380896e.gif

and image of my board

freddie_y1.thumb.jpg.8fadd8a3e2e3a5d514854f88efe6026a.jpg

1 hour ago, Nolium said:

VBXE experts, an install question. 

My 65XE board revision C1 is a bit different than the one in manual. Can someone confirm my assumption? On schematic I have marked two connections that needs to be severed, that is, I need to remove L34 and R18.

schematic

65xe_01--freddie.thumb.gif.cc0f50dbf6295a9b85c7cff2c380896e.gif

and image of my board

freddie_y1.thumb.jpg.8fadd8a3e2e3a5d514854f88efe6026a.jpg

Everything works OK. I removed L34 and R18 and connected VBXE.

• 1 month later...
15 minutes ago, Mathy said:

Hello Nolium

What's that little green PCB?  Did I miss something?

Sincerely

Mathy

It's convenient for cable management, soldering wires directly to connector pins is pain in the ass, but also converts 5V to 10V for Scart input detection signal. TV's can switch automatically to AV Scart input where your Atari is connected if there is a 9-12V signal on pin 8 (Atari ST also provides 12V on pin 8), so you don't have to manually switch inputs with remote. After you switch Atari off TV switches back to manually set input.

I belive this should also work with Lotharek's Hydra.

Hello Nolium

THANKS!  I'm just wondering, why no stereo?

Sincerely

Mathy

PS how did you mount it inside the computer?  In your posting (just above this one) you mention the PCB, 3 capacitors, a voltage convertor, a DIN connector and an 8 pin header.  That's also what I see in the picture (I guess), but I don't see how the PCB and/or 13 pin DIN connector are connected to the motherboard of the computer.

Edited by Mathy

7 hours ago, Mathy said:

PS how did you mount it inside the computer?  In your posting (just above this one) you mention the PCB, 3 capacitors, a voltage convertor, a DIN connector and an 8 pin header.  That's also what I see in the picture (I guess), but I don't see how the PCB and/or 13 pin DIN connector are connected to the motherboard of the computer.

Connector is glued upside-down to the Atari motherboard (hot glue), PCB is soldered to the 13pin connector. 8pin right angle header also soldered to the PCB on the bottom side like 13pin connector. Pinout is directly compatible with Atari ST Scart cable, that's why no stereo. I guess with if one modifies ST Scart cable any unconnected pin on 13pin connector could be used for 2nd sound channel.

5 wires are connected to the VBXE, 3 wires are connected to the 5pin header where RF modulator was connected to the motherboard (sound, composite and +5V), all with dupont connector cables.

Under the motherboard is around 5mm clearance. 1.0mm PCB and SMB parts 1.7mm this would make less than ~3.0mm thick populated board so I guess it would be possible to fit this PCB under the motherboard. You would have to drill 15 holes in Atari motherboard for 13pin connector and grind away ground copper around holes, like @flashjazzcat mounts 13pin connector for VBXE. This way connector wouldn't be hot glued but soldered and connector would be oriented the proper way. Another hole in Atari board for 8 wires and Bob is your uncle.

• Like 1

Another PCB, specifically designed for mounting under the Atari motherboard. This would require drilling 15 holes in Atari PCB and removing part of the ground copper area around pins. This should provide sturdier connector since it would not be glued but soldered. PCB thickness 0.6-0.8mm recomended. SMB parts height is 1.7mm, so there should be enough clearance under the motherboard.

board_view.png

Gerber_PCB_VBXE_1.1_2022-02-20.zip Schematic_VBXE_connector_1.1_2022-02-20.pdf

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Hey all. My current VBXE install is being a pain and it’s been a while since I did this. Can anyone confirm that once VBXE is installed the stock video should remain available?

I installed one in an 800XL at the weekend and get nothing from the VBXE video or the native monitor port. If I restore the timing circuit components, the machine runs fine (but obviously no VBXE video). 

I checked the pickup points against the install instructions and FJCs video and all seemed good. Guess I’m missing something …

Stock video should remain available.

For PAL of course you leave the 4~ MHz crystal that generates the colourburst.  The system clock for everything else is derived from the 14 MHz crystal which the VBXE has (I had to pilfer one from a 7800 for mine, by the looks the current one has PAL and NTSC crystals preinstalled)

You'd want to check the clock for the system is being provided from the VBXE to the motherboard of the 800XL.  And by the look of it, isn't there some sort of jumper or different pickoff point where you tell it whether it's PAL or NTSC?

Edited by Rybags

1 hour ago, Rybags said:

Stock video should remain available.

For PAL of course you leave the 4~ MHz crystal that generates the colourburst.  The system clock for everything else is derived from the 14 MHz crystal which the VBXE has (I had to pilfer one from a 7800 for mine, by the looks the current one has PAL and NTSC crystals preinstalled)

You'd want to check the clock for the system is being provided from the VBXE to the motherboard of the 800XL.  And by the look of it, isn't there some sort of jumper or different pickoff point where you tell it whether it's PAL or NTSC?

Thanks for that. I knew I wasn’t going crazy. The PAL / NTSC point tests continuous on the PAL side, so I’m guessing it’s pre jumpered. I’ll redo the timing hookups and see what happens. If it’s still no go I guess I’ll dig out the scope and see what’s going on. 

I checked Lotharek's page for the VBXL... the doc does seem a bit inconsistent with what's labelled on the board.

But it does look like no jumpers, just use the relevant pickoff point which seems to be J1 for a non-Freddie 800XL.

Looking again - isn't that a jumper on the bottom of the board?  I'd guess that chooses PAL/NTSC.

Bottom of the page https://lotharek.pl/productdetail.php?id=54

Edited by Rybags

Thanks for the replies folks. I guess yesterday was just a bad day in the office. I've just redone the J6 connections to the timing circuit and its working fine! I've got nice solid VBXE and legacy output. Just waiting for my Cool Novelties cable to turn up so I can add a 13 pin connector in place of the RF modulator.