IGNORED

ColecoVision - from Matt Patrol to Moon Patrol

newcoleco

To do a game footage, I wanted to show Moon Patrol for the ColecoVision, but unfortunately I can only find Matt Patrol, the hacked version by Matt Householde, the programmer of this game.

So, I've started to check inside the rom file and notice a few things I can change to make it looks more like Moon Patrol, instead of Matt Patrol.

This is the result I've got so far.

moon patrol 1984 reversed graphics hack by newcoleco 2009.zip

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9vzGjMALM4

Edited by newcoleco
  • Like 1

To do a game footage, I wanted to show Moon Patrol for the ColecoVision, but unfortunately I can only find Matt Patrol, the hacked version by Matt Householde, the programmer of this game.

So, I've started to check inside the rom file and notice a few things I can change to make it looks more like Moon Patrol, instead of Matt Patrol.

This is the result I've got so far.

moon patrol 1984 reversed graphics hack by newcoleco 2009.zip

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=j9vzGjMALM4

Very cool. Was attempted before in this thread, but this is much better. The only thing I like about the previous hack is the SELMA in the title screen was changed to ATARI.

-Jeff

I like it.

As far as the details - is it possible to move the progress bar to the bottom of the screen and the bad guys look like the arcade version?

Awesome work Daniel! You still going to make a few more tweaks?

I prefer the bar at the top myself, I wouldn't change that.

I thought this was an unreleased atarisoft game.

Awesome work Daniel! You still going to make a few more tweaks?

I prefer the bar at the top myself, I wouldn't change that.

I thought this was an unreleased atarisoft game.

Based on a letter written by Matt himself, he was working on another videogame port, one wkith scrolling in it of course, but they decided to focus on Moon Patrol. And he did the graphics hack into his prototype and rename it Matt Patrol... which I think it's awesome. Unfortunately, even if the tests show that the game was ok, the company decided to stop all developments into ColecoVision games.

Side note : The two big wheels in the title screen that makes the O's in "MOON" was already in the rom, simply needed to use them by changing the sprites attributes table... slightly more difficult to do than a graphics hack but not that much. I had to redraw the 'n' that was an 'a' in "Matt" to complete the word "MOON". For the rest, I didn't do much graphics changes compared to the other rom file from another thread, but yeah it's coming... just taking my time.

• Like 1

I commented over at youtube, and it's still really awesome. You said it will never be found on a cart and being a hack it still can be! But I digress, it was a commercial game and all.

If you talk about Moon Patrol in general, yes it was a commercial game. But Moon Patrol for the ColecoVision is, as far as the collectors knowledge goes, a one-of-a-kind, a prototype.