IGNORED

HSC Season 7 Week 12: Gyruss

Ze_ro

Important Note: This weeks competition is over and no further scores will be accepted.

Three billion miles is a long way from home. But there's no shorter route from outer Neptune to Earth. As if that weren't enough... it's got to be a shoot-out all the way. You alone in your rapid-firing spaceship, swirling in a circular flight pattern... orbiting to the right... arcing to the left... trying to mow down wave after wave of enemy plane formations, rocketing meteors and runaway satellites. Stops at Uranus, Saturn, Jupiter and Mars will mark your progression towards Earth. Each one's a short visit, though. Then it's off again to the next planet - and the next wave of enemies. Reach Earth in one piece and maybe you'll think twice about leaving home. Then again... maybe not!

s_Gyruss_2.png

Game Information
  • Game Name: Gyruss
  • Released By: Parker Bros, 1984
  • Left Difficulty: N/A
  • Right Difficulty: N/A
  • Game Mode: Default
  • Chosen By: Vectorman0

Post your scores right here in this thread, and I will add them to the list. Remember to play the game with the recommended game mode and difficulty settings as shown above so that your scores will be consistent with everyone elses. The deadline for posting scores is Wednesday November 11th at 1:00 AM (CST).

Current High Scores
  1. 428,500 (CebusCapucinis) [+11]
  2. 358,400 (Carey85) [+10]
  3. 357,100 (toymailman) [+9]
  4. 351,100 (shadow460) [+8]
  5. 219,500 (Zoyx) [+7]
  6. 177,900 (roadrunner) [+6]
  7. 169,700 (oyamafamily) [+5]
  8. 162,300 (vjames) [+4]
  9. 160,100 (darthkur) [+3]
  10. 160,000 (aftermac) [+2]
  11. 8100 (LoneWolfSeth) [+1]

Best Tips
  • shadow460 [+2]

Challenges
  • None yet

TwinGalaxies Top 3
  1. 1,023,100 (Frankie Cardulla)
  2. 960,700 (Todd Rogers)
  3. 277,700 (Greg Troutman)
(Game 1, Difficulty B)
Current Standings
  1. toymailman [105]
  2. Atardi [84]
  3. Deteacher [70]
  4. Zoyx [67]
  5. darthkur [67]
  6. shadow460 [64]
  7. Captain Beard [61]
  8. godzillajoe [56]
  9. vjames [54]
  10. CebusCapucinis [43]
  11. keilbaca [42]
  12. Vectorman0 [29]
  13. oyamafamily [27]
  14. homerwannabee [26]
  15. aftermac [25]
  16. SpiceWare [24]
  17. roadrunner [23]
  18. devwebcl [13]
  19. Nathan Strum [11]
  20. LarcenTyler [9]
  21. kote [8]
  22. Hornpipe2 [7]
  23. Animan [6]
  24. Mister VCS [6]
  25. 4Ks [5]
  26. LoneWolfSeth [5]
  27. Wickeycolumbus [4]
  28. chuckwalla [3]
  29. Shannon [2]
  30. jeremysart [2]
  31. vintagegamecrazy [2]
  32. sloth713 [2]
  33. jjd [2]
  34. ChrisKoopa [1]
  35. Impaler_26 [1]
  36. Nati [1]
  37. disjuakifa [1]

Scoring Points in Gyruss
    [*]Enemy plane - 100 points
    [*]Entire Formation - 1000, 1500, 2000, 2500 points
    [*]Satellite - 500, 1000, 1500 points (increased by 500 points with double fire)
    [*]During Chance Round:
    • Enemy plane - 100 points
    • Entire formation - 500 + (500 * Round Number)
    • Super Bonus for all four formations - 10,000 points

Hints and Tips

The Manual

As always, you really should read the manual. In case you don't have a copy of it, AtariAge has a typed copy available online. Unfortunately, it doesn't provide any specific hints, but it explains some features of the game that you might not be aware of.

CebusCapucinis

This may seem pretty obvious, but a lot of time in this game is wasted when you don't wrap your head around the control scheme. Quadrant off the joystick when you play and consider each quadrant of the joystick the respective quadrant in the screen, rather than directional concentration. Your ship will almost always move to the quadrant your joystick points at with very, very few exceptions.

Also remember that each "wave" of baddies you kill gives you an additional 1,000 points. You should strive to kill as many complete waves as possible, as this is how the points rack up really quickly.

Always make sure you are shooting the bunch of grapes looking 3 purple ships. These give you 2 shots rather than 1 shot and spreads out your ability to cover ground, but also they give you tons of extra bonus points per ship shot if you already have the 2-shot ability. I think it was something in the range of 2,500 points per series of 3. Many, many additional points to be had on each level with that.

shadow460

In this game, you don't move the stick up down left or right, you rotate it to the point where you want your ship to go. This is one of the very few ports of Gyruss that I've found that works well without the stick it had in the arcade.

If you fail to wipe out more than one formation on entry, shoot about half the enemies in the remaining ones. You want to leave enough enemies so that the satellites appear. You miss out on the bonus points they offer if you kill all the formations.

Killing all four formations on entry gives you 7,000 points, whereas shooting all three satellites gives you 4,500 points. If you miss just one formation, you get 5,500. If you miss two you only get 3,500. The highest bonus (7,000) could be achieved by killing 3 complete formations and then not shooting until the satellites show up. This would give you 10,000 bonus points per stage.

You get 4,500 points for shooting them all if you already have the double shots. In the arcade, they will not appear unless at least 3 enemies are still in the formation. In this version, you must leave at least 6.

The downside to this is that you risk buying the farm during a stage when ordinarily you would have decimated every enemy as they approached.

--Zero

I'm assuming this is game one where we start with two lives in reserve vs game one where we would start with four lives in reserve?

Don't know why but this really made me want to go and listen to the music from "The Legend of Zelda"...

In your head now too? Sorry...

post-23219-125745653965_thumb.png

The monkey weighs in at:

p1010279xn.jpg

My Tip:

This may seem pretty obvious, but a lot of time in this game is wasted when you don't wrap your head around the control scheme. Quadrant off the joystick when you play and consider each quadrant of the joystick the respective quadrant in the screen, rather than directional concentration. Your ship will almost always move to the quadrant your joystick points at with very, very few exceptions.

Also remember that each "wave" of baddies you kill gives you an additional 1,000 points. You should strive to kill as many complete waves as possible, as this is how the points rack up really quickly.

Edited by CebusCapucinis

153,400 first game

Doesn't look like I've got a book for this...

Up a little to 206,700. I'm just warming up.

I held the top score on this game at Q-Zar near Orlando Fashion Square for quite some time.

In this game, you don't move the stick up down left or right, you rotate it to the point where you want your ship to go. This is one of the very few ports of Gyruss that I've found that works well without the stick it had in the arcade.

If you fail to wipe out more than one formation on entry, shoot about half the enemies in the remaining ones. You want to leave enough enemies so that the satellites appear. You miss out on the bonus points they offer if you kill all the formations.

Killing all four formations on entry gives you 7,000 points, whereas shooting all three satellites gives you 4,500 points. If you miss just one formation, you get 5,500. If you miss two you only get 3,500. The highest bonus (7,000) could be achieved by killing 3 complete formations and then not shooting until the satellites show up. This would give you 10,000 bonus points per stage.

Edited by shadow460

Broke 300k playing today.

MY TIP#2:

Always make sure you are shooting the bunch of grapes looking 3 purple ships. These give you 2 shots rather than 1 shot and spreads out your ability to cover ground, but also they give you tons of extra bonus points per ship shot if you already have the 2-shot ability. I think it was something in the range of 2,500 points per series of 3. Many, many additional points to be had on each level with that.

post-24585-125770924355_thumb.jpg

Broke 300k playing today.

MY TIP#2:

post-24585-125770924355_thumb.jpg

You get 4,500 points for shooting them all if you already have the double shots. In the arcade, they will not appear unless at least 3 enemies are still in the formation. In this version, you must leave at least 6.

The downside to this is that you risk buying the farm during a stage when ordinarily you would have decimated every enemy as they approached.

Up to 216,100. It is late, and I'm not playing my best. Maybe on Wednesday I'll run down to the laundry and play it on an arcade cabinet, then post a screenshot of the score. I know it won't count, but it would be fun to do. :)

Edited by shadow460