IGNORED

Favorite shooters

mbd30

Lately I've been playing the hell out of "DoDonPachi" on MAME. It's so fast-paced and addictive. The difficulty is set just right... the first two levels are easy enough so that with some practice you can polish them off with one credit, and the third level is so challenging (but not impossibly so) that you have to keep trying to conquer it. And these kinds of games are only fun if you never use continues.

Also everything is nice and colorful and explodes real good. This is important in a shmup.

Edited by mbd30

All the DonPachi games are great!

Dangun Feveron is AWESOME...lol

Love that game...

Anything Cave makes is shooter gold!

I love Mars Matrix,Ikaruga,Giga Wings...well I can make a list of 100's.

Shooters rock, to bad they dont get released like they used too!

My favorite is definitely Raystorm.

I play Macross II with fair regularity in MAME. Oddly, it's the only Macross shooter which really grabs me.

I'm a fan of the Gradius and Thunderforce serieses. Although, Thunderforce is admittedly too hard for me to really get into and enjoy to it's fullest.

Strikers 1945 is another favorite. And I love what I've played of Strikers 1999.

My favorite is definitely Raystorm.

I play Macross II with fair regularity in MAME. Oddly, it's the only Macross shooter which really grabs me.

I'm a fan of the Gradius and Thunderforce serieses. Although, Thunderforce is admittedly too hard for me to really get into and enjoy to it's fullest.

Strikers 1945 is another favorite. And I love what I've played of Strikers 1999.

I just downloaded the "Raystorm" rom and it plays at 100% speed on MAME On my PC! First time playing it too.

Iridion II for GBA is a pretty nice shmup. Good game play, and impressive graphics.

I tried my hand at Einhander for PS1 back in the day, that was also a pretty good one.

My all time favorite has to be Silpheed for Sega CD though.

*edit* Forgot about The Dreadnaught Factor, great shmup! Original concept, its quite a challenge. One of the better Intellivision games.

Edited by jeremysart

There are so many good shooters out there, it's hard to just name one or two. I'll spit out whatever anyone else has already thrown out here, and I'll these to the list as well: Radiant Silvergun, the R-Type series, the Raiden Series (including the new Raiden IV), Undead Line and MUSHA/Aleste on the Megadrive, Android Assault/Lords of Thunder on the Sega CD (The later also on the PC Engine). Hmm, I've also had a real craving recently to play the Star Soldier remake on the N64.. Really enjoyed that one as well, considering it was the only shmup in the US on that system.

Some of my other recent favorite Cave shooters (as of at least few years ago) are ESPRade, and its bad-ass sequel, Espgaluda. Man, I really wish that one was emulated, it's been a long time since I got rid of my import PS2 version (and my system).. Hectic gameplay, unique scoring system, bad-assss trance music.. ahhhhh. A friend also recently showed Mushimisanalksdjflkasjdf or whatever the hell you call it, another Cave shooter (It's the one with a lot of bug-like creatures on the cover), and it's baaad asssssss. Hell, I think even better than DoDonPachi, which is saying a lot. I believe they just put it out on the 360 in Japan, and multiple versions (I believe) are already on PS2 in Japan.. Man, someone stop me before I go on all night (I get off talking about shooters, can't ya tell?).

Oh yeah, on another note, it's nice to see someone mentioned Iridion II btw.. The game was great, but the soundtrack was excellent, too.. Hell, I enjoyed just sitting at the title screen, playing with shifting around different drum and melody patterns on the fly.. Man I wish more games did that sort of thing.

Edited by Austin

My favorite shooter of all times(and I'm not much into shooters)...

is Stinger for the NES :thumbsup: :D

Such a cute game and so much fun(especially with 2 players). I love the power-ups the best and the level bosses are just so hilarious. The music is really awesome in it too.

Don't miss Burai Fighter on the NES or the Japanese Burai Fighter Deluxe (DMG-BUA) for the original Game Boy. The US version of BFD is so easy that it's about worthless. Burai Fighter and BFD are the only side scrolling shooters besides Sirius that I have liked. Well, Burai Fighter scrolls whatever way it pleases, but it start as a left to right side scroller like Sirius.

If I had to pick a close second favorite, it would be Raiden II. Yeah, the newer ones are prettier, but Raiden II gets just the right mix of eye candy and game play.

My other favorites (in no particular order):

Galaga (Arcade)

Raiden 1, 2, DX, 3, and the Raiden Fighters 1

Strikers 1945

Aero Fighters 1 and 2

Viper Phase 1 (what little I've played of it)

Heavy Barrel (Arcade)

Megamania (2600)

Solar Striker (play it on a Color Game Boy for best effects)

Others that I think get an honorable mention:

R-Type DX (GBC)

Gates of Zendocon (Lynx)

Zarlor Mercenary (Lynx)

Legendary Wings (Arcade)

Bear in mind that any SHMUP that isn't set on the "insane" difficulty level isn't worth playing. If you last more than three seconds on your very first life, something isn't right.

Arcades:

Space Invaders

Galaga

Xevious

Consoles:

River Raid on the 2600

Banshee on the CD32

Novastorm on the 3DO

and Total Eclipse on the 3DO

and pretty much every shooter on SNK's roll call - they're insanely tough!

Edited by mattyg

Modern, scrolling shooters:

R-type (of course) (SMS/PS1) - Played the heck out of it. Amazing art style, great levels, great pacing. I love the "memorize" type of shooters.

Mars Matrix (DC) - The coin gathering and unlockable system kept me hooked. The only "bullet hell" shooter I really like.

Thunderforce III (GennY)- loved the change in perspective, awesome graphics

Menace/Blood Money (Amiga) - Mostly for the cool graphics. Psygnosis was THE company back then.

For non-scrolling, classic-style shooters:

I was always partial to Spider Fighter, perhaps because it's a little easier.

Megamania, of course, because it's just crazy.

I find Space Cavern a lot of fun, it has nice graphics that are a little different style than most and the side-shooting mechanic.

Space Invaders - long live the king, baby!

And of course, my all-time favorite: Demon Attack. The patterns are just mezmerizing, I could play that all day.

Edited by BydoEmpire

Love the Raiden games, Truxton on the Megadrive was also good and Zarlor Mercenary on the Lynx is a work of art.

On the Atari ST I really liked Sonic Boom, Gemini Wing and of course Xenon 2: Megablast

Hmmm what else? R-Type and Dragon Spirit on the PC Engine are excellent, the Darius games are great on all machines and the River Raid games were great on the 2600.

Here are some of my favorite arcade shooters:

Satan's Hollow

Time Pilot

Sinistar

R-Type

Twin Cobra

Forgotten Worlds

Truxton

Area 88 (UN Squadron)

Sky Soldiers

Pistol Daimyo no Bouken

Raiden II

Strikers 1945

Sengoku Blade (Tengai)

19XX

Gunbird II

I tend to like Irem, Psikyo and Capcom shooters for some reason.

(Even though they are totally different in play style...)

If you own a PC Engine it is the "King of Shooters" am not kidding either that machine has just tons of Shumps and most can be picked up pretty cheap but there are some pricey ones out there too.

Here is a list of some of my favorites...

Galaga 88-PC Engine(Was released as Galaga 90 here in the U.S. for the Turbografx-16)

In The Hunt-PS1(There is a Sega Saturn release of this but shockingly the PS1 version plays better)

Gate of Thunder-PC Engine/Turbografx-16

Lords of Thunder-PC Engine/Turbografx-16(Was released on the Sega CD as well)

Spriggan-PC Engine

Parodious-PC Engine,Super Famicom,Sega Saturn(Just love this whole series of games on all systems)

Final Solider-PC Engine

Space Invaders-Atari 2600,Arcade(First arcade game i ever played)

There are a ton of others i like too like Burning Angels and Daisenpu on the PC Engine and Raiden Project for the PS1. :)

Space Invaders -- arcade, 2600

Galaxian -- arcade, 2600

Galaga -- arcade

Eagle/Moon Cresta -- arcade

Berzerk -- arcade, 2600, 8 bit

Megamania -- 2600

Yars' Revenge -- 2600

Centipede -- arcade, 2600, 7800

Millipede -- arcade, 2600

Tron Deadly Discs -- INTV, 2600

Vanguard -- arcade, 2600, 8 bit

Quarth -- Gameboy

Edited by Vic George 2K3

I am a fan of the classic arcade shooters,there were so many.The one that i think of right way is GORF,brilliant idea for a game that one is!The best of Space Invaders,Phoenix,Galaga/Galaxian,and Tempest IIRC,all rolled into one game.I really like my ColecoVision Gorf,also Gyruss is kickass on the CV also.

Classic 2d shooters :jango: ... some of my favorites:

Parodius series

R-Type series (especially R-Type Delta on PSX)

Gradius series (my favorite Gradius are 'Gaiden' on the PSX and 'return of the hero' on Gameboy)

Gates of Thunder (PCE)

Final Soldier (PCE)

Ikaruga (DC)

Battle Garegga (SAT)

Radiant Silvergun (SAT)

Soukyugurentai (SAT)

Sengoku Ace Episode II (SAT)

Layer Section II (SAT)

Hellfire (MD)

Eliminate Down (MD)

Gleylancer (MD)

M.U.S.H.A. Aleste (MD)