IGNORED

My Skunkboard case mod

save2600

Interesting case mods....however, what will you do if someone comes up with a useful way to incorporate

the other two usb ports? I know there a re a few folk who have contemplated using those. It would be

some work involved as whomever decides to use those would need to port over the USB lib code to use

in the Jaguar. It would be cool to be able to use USB based controllers and even USB to ethernet for

online multiplayer gaming on the Jag....all which could be possible if someone goes through the trouble.

Then again, to allow decent performance in a more complex 3D game, the lib would have better to be ported

to the RISC's using the main code workaround Atari Owl and I discovered.

Interesting notions. I for one would love to see a menu system of sorts where full games could be loaded from a USB mass storage device. But isn't the mini-USB port hooked up all the same? IF so, theoretically... all you'd need is a hub then.

KSkunk or Tursi would be better able to answer that but if I remember correctly they are not

the same as the uploader port. As far as the miniport...I think it is just setup for communication

between the Jag and your computer, but again, KSkunk or Tursi would have the correct answer.

Very nice case, BusterM! I don't think I'd be worried about warranty coverage.. there was no actual warranty at any point, there are no boards left to replace any problems with, and it's been a long time since the last board was sent out, so anyone having problems has my sincere sympathy, but that's the best available.

As for the discussion about the USB ports, nothing has changed. To my knowledge, nobody is working on activating them. The center USB port is configured as a device port, the side ports as host -- you need host mode to use a USB device. However, once software is running on the Jag, you could reconfigure the ports, it would just be a minor inconvenience to disconnect the PC.

The odds of running USB communication from the RISC are very low. The RISC doesn't play nice on the cartridge port bus, and my attempts to even write the flash from the RISC failed to get it reliable.

Edited by Tursi

Interesting case mods....however, what will you do if someone comes up with a useful way to incorporate

the other two usb ports? I know there a re a few folk who have contemplated using those. It would be

some work involved as whomever decides to use those would need to port over the USB lib code to use

in the Jaguar. It would be cool to be able to use USB based controllers and even USB to ethernet for

online multiplayer gaming on the Jag....all which could be possible if someone goes through the trouble.

Then again, to allow decent performance in a more complex 3D game, the lib would have better to be ported

to the RISC's using the main code workaround Atari Owl and I discovered.

If it came down to were they would actually be used. I would create two additional ports on the side. The circle part at the of the cartridge top has enough clearance on the side's that I could but one on the left an one on the right with out changing the top look. I was originally going to place the ubs in that fashion to have a clean looking top case. But changed my mind at the last min.

With the unlikely hood of anything ever coming out of those two I currently didnt see the reason for the extra work

Though I am crossing my fingers for mass usb storage

If it came down to were they would actually be used. I would create two additional ports on the side. The circle part at the of the cartridge top has enough clearance on the side's that I could but one on the left an one on the right with out changing the top look. I was originally going to place the ubs in that fashion to have a clean looking top case. But changed my mind at the last min.

You can always remod to do this if warranted, however....

With the unlikely hood of anything ever coming out of those two I currently didnt see the reason for the extra work

I feel you are justified in your reasoning since I too doubt you will see anyone bothering to

port the lib.

Though I am crossing my fingers for mass usb storage

Dont cross them too hard. From what I understood the port is no simple task unless you have some

reasonable USB lib experience.

I always pictured using the Skunks for networking purposes in games. It would be cool to get a couple of Jags to communicate via the Skunks. Imagine a NFS racing game for the Skunks with networking capabilities.

We had someone working on a demo app for communicating via JCP through a PC, but I think that fell by the wayside in favor of other projects. It doesn't take too much work to have the Jag talk to the PC through the Skunk USB, at that point in theory you have everything the PC can do, including network traffic. ;) But for people just getting into network communication, it can take a bit of effort to sort it out. Performance is not really fantastic - though strictly mathematically speaking, you should be able to hit 30fps with fairly good sized packets. I keep meaning to do an example app to show people how, but pretty tight for time. If someone had an app already running on the Jag, and a client/server app working on the PC, I could show you how to do the Jag<->PC link. I just don't have the time to do it all myself right now.

We had someone working on a demo app for communicating via JCP through a PC, but I think that fell by the wayside in favor of other projects. It doesn't take too much work to have the Jag talk to the PC through the Skunk USB, at that point in theory you have everything the PC can do, including network traffic. ;)

If somebody is already working on a Jaguar game that needs some new JagUSB functionality, I'm happy to help answer questions and dig up my rusty old code samples. It requires some Jag experience to get going but anyone who can make a Jag game won't find it much more difficult.

The Skunkboard belongs to the community now, and I love seeing all the mods and labels and other creative things people are doing. I hope over the years it will gain even more interesting software/hacks/etc. :)

- KS

Well Tursi and KSkunk... I hope you guys realize what you have done for the Jag community. The SkunkBoard has been awesome for the Jag and anyone who was lucky enough to get one. There will be games made for the Jag thanks to the SkunkBoard. You are both now firmly part of Jaguar history. When people look at major points along a plot of Jaguar history the SkunkBoard will be one of the defining parts. Thanks guys.