IGNORED

2 worthy video game podcasts

S1500

I finally stumbled upon 2 video game(classic of course) podcasts that doesn't feel like 2 icepacks shoved into my eardrums.

The Retro League - They have a podcast. It's typically NES on up, but still worth listening to.

Racketboy This one's also worth listening to. They interviewed Eugene Jarvis. Can't get more classic(ie before the NES) than that.

They switched co-hosts on Retrocore. Colin, that one who sounds like a fast food drive-through order taker, has been replaced by a female co-host. She has better sound quality and doesn't suck up to Chris, which is all Colin did. Perhaps upgrade this from "worst podcast evar" to "don't listen".

RetroforceGO! supposedly has discontinued. No more BAAHHAAHAHHH from Jeremy.

Here you are! I was checking our old podcasts thread just now. Got a few more for you:

Bitmob Mobcast: Dan "Shoe" Hsu & other ex-EGM guys do an hr or so roundtable about 3-5 topics per show. So far so good.

Retroist podcast; touches on gaming in a few episodes, but other subjects too. Well under an hour. Is this the guy who did RetroCity?

Too Old to Grow Up: as above, not much gaming stuff, but enough variety to entertain me.

What They Play: Brit Jon Davison (ex-OPM editor) does under-an-hr on gaming/parenting. Last I heard he wasnt hosting anymore, & they havent had a new one in awhile. (ep 334 was the last one I heard)

Stuck In The 80s: Professional, mostly 80s music/movies- centric. I find the rapport between the hosts very funny & entertaining. They havent done a gaming show yet though...

The rest of the stuff I listen to is here & there. Damn, there are a TON of podcasts out there. I find them on the Zune marketplace.

Awww, no more RetroForce? Last I heard from them they were taking awhile off after their 100th ep. although, is HAS been quite awhile...

Edited by RJ
  • Thanks 1

I agree with s1500 there about The Retro League podcast.  If you listened to the first couple of episodes and were turned off by the sound quality, that has been resolved in the last episode I listened to, #4.  It is a pretty good podcast that is improving by leaps and bounds with each episode.

I also listen to various shows on an online radio station, My Gamer Network Radio, their Friday night show, GNET Underground is really good and they have a live chat (if you are missing the chat room then you are literally missing over half the show as they are big on listener participation).  Check them out.  They have shows that cover sports, World of Warcraft and many other genres.  

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

A note to the "Retroist" guy- DON'T say "we've got lots of info to cover, so w/out further adieu, let's start the show" & then play a 3+ min. 8-bit song.

Save it for the end.

I don't mind. He puts in a lot of soundbytes from the 80s, including bumpers for commercials & the commercials themselves. I actually like that.

Retronauts intentionally pads out the shows with video game songs generally not worth listening to. Retroist spruces it up the right way.

• Like 1

Yes, you're right, I LIKE the retro ads/bumpers (they're from Sat. AM cartoons)- just that the song was kinda long while I was expecting the actual show to start. & yes, I FFWD thru the tune.

Toward the show end, he could say "& now a little 8-bit tune from (artist), listen & enjoy, wont you?" or something similar...

• 1 month later...

WHY the hell does Shoe ALWAYS have to announce Raychul is his g/f when he hosts & she's a guest? There's absolutely no reason.

We get it, Shoe. You're dating a gamer grrrl who's shown her ass on the web.

B-F-D.

Edited by RJ

WHY the hell does Shoe ALWAYS have to announce Raychul is his g/f when he hosts & she's a guest? There's absolutely no reason.

We get it, Shoe. You're dating a gamer grrrl who's shown her ass on the web.

B-F-D.

What podcast is in this relation to? And also.. pics or it didn't happen.

Shoe usu. hosts Mobcast. Bitmob's podcast. Google "Raychul Moore" images.

Apparently she & Dan will soon host a new IPhone show:

Fans of Dan "Shoe" Hsu, former editor-in-chief of Electronic Gaming Monthly and frequent guest of G4, will be pleased to learn that he's kicking off a new program called Cut Scene. Here's an excerpt from the show's description:

"Each video will star Dan 'Shoe' Hsu (ex-EGM Editor) and Raychul Moore (you know... that cutie from GamerBabe.net and GameGirl.com). The content of each show is up for debate. You see, Shoe and Raychul are an item. Yes a real couple with real problems, opinions and ultimately real arguments. The odd thing is most of their arguments are about games. And even stranger, they allowed us to film it... in their home and air it on the sexiest screen in the world, the iPhone."

Like any video-game show starring a couple, Cut Scene launches on Valentine's Day...how nauseatingly cute. Danny is an excellent person and I wish him the best.

Read more: http://g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/692998/dan-shoe-hsu-ex-egm-editor-to-launch-iphone-show-with-raychul-moore.html#ixzz0f0GnL4bo

Edited by RJ

Another podcast has entered the ring.

GameBlips Not sure if that's the official URL, but it gets you the podcast. Lots of variety in the discussions and episode formats. Worth listening to.

Wish my main system didn't conk out so I could create my own podcast. But of course, need a hosting site, etc.

I would love to hear a straight up Atari podcast about the 2600 and things related to that.

Considering how active the Atari homebrew scene is, it seems like an Atari-centric podcast would have plenty to talk about, between talking about old games, and talking about new games. It would be cool if some folks from around here got together and did an official "Atari Age" podcast.

Chris

Another podcast has entered the ring.

GameBlips Not sure if that's the official URL, but it gets you the podcast. Lots of variety in the discussions and episode formats. Worth listening to.

Wish my main system didn't conk out so I could create my own podcast. But of course, need a hosting site, etc.

Hey thanks for the cheap plug for GameBlips! Am one of the co-hosts of the show. :D

Hey S1500, if you were to make a Podcast, what would it be about, exactly? Classic gaming in general, console specific, classic and modern combined?

I've been thinking about having an official Classic Gaming Quarterly podcast, but I don't really have the time for it. But I do have unlimited bandwidth and storage space on the CGQ server, so that isn't an issue.

As a side note, I've been thinking about doing a "Podcast Roundup" type of article in which I would list and discuss each retro-centric podcast currently in production.

Chris

Hey S1500, if you were to make a Podcast, what would it be about, exactly? Classic gaming in general, console specific, classic and modern combined?

I've been thinking about having an official Classic Gaming Quarterly podcast, but I don't really have the time for it. But I do have unlimited bandwidth and storage space on the CGQ server, so that isn't an issue.

As a side note, I've been thinking about doing a "Podcast Roundup" type of article in which I would list and discuss each retro-centric podcast currently in production.

Chris

I do a video cast on ustream, you might consider doing one there(it can be audio only as well)

Chris

Mine would be satire/parody, not unlike "Awesome Video Games", but to aim to make the absolute worst retro-game flavored podcast ever.

Modern gaming podcasts are a dime a dozen out there. What I don't like are those podcasts that claim to cover everything from the 2600 to the PS3.

Well, all you'll ever get for classic gaming coverage is the tagline saying they would, but nothing more.

Downloading the latest Retrogaming Roundup.

Tried listening to the latest Retronauts. Does ANYBODY understand what they are talking about? Yeah, I know what Thexder is. But it's like this series tries to go out of its way to talk about stuff only the hosts know. Sure, almost all podcasts are "stuck in their own world", but this takes it to a whole new level....Final Fantasy(sorry, had to get the obligatory FF reference in there).

I listen to the 1up group of podcasts regularly (4guys, Oddcast, Retronauts, etc) & it always seems 1 or 2 guys on there act too smart for their own good. Retronauts' host is always putting himself/the show down ("Here's another crummy episode on some old game no one cares about...etc etc") & on Oddcast one guy always seems snippy w/ the hostess.

AND.....under the "retroforceGO!" feed a mysterious podcast called "Bit Transmission" has appeared. Am d/ling it & will report back. I checked on why RFGO! disappeared, Topher explains basically it was a matter of not being able to get everyone's schedule in sync to record- but he hints at a possible 2 or -host 'cast.

Edited by RJ
  • Like 1

I listen to the 1up group of podcasts regularly (4guys, Oddcast, Retronauts, etc) & it always seems 1 or 2 guys on there act too smart for their own good. Retronauts' host is always putting himself/the show down ("Here's another crummy episode on some old game no one cares about...etc etc") & on Oddcast one guy always seems snippy w/ the hostess.

I used to listen to Retronauts for a very while and i really just don't like the hosts on it and there just does not seem to be a lot of love for the older systems on there like the 2600 and Colecovision...Maybe there is but the shows i listen to they seem more toward the video gaming era starting with the NES.

Even though Retronauts is NES on up, it still could be a good retro-flavored podcast. The problem about it though is it that the hosts talk about obscure Japanese RPGS that are fan-translated, and only have been played by 5 people. Their inside jokes really are inside jokes, as well as anything that's not ajoke. How many times can you reference Final Fantasy in a podcast? Still falls into the "3 hour tribute to the 5th level of Earthbound!" syndrome.

• 2 weeks later...

For anyone who's missed Shane Monroe he's back w/ MonroeWorld gamingcast. The pilot ep. is justunder 3 hrs, seems to be an amalgam of Dual Screen Radio, Wii Minute Radio, & his old retrocast. In this latest one he's pushing his MonroeWorld Portal site/forums. The hosts digress & tangent a lot, one has a lisp, & there are some lulls. Shane actually doesnt talk much (another host gets that prize) but when he does his level starts way too low, but builds & levels if his sentence is long enough.

I think I'll keep listening, always appreciate new shows & I may quit some current ones- IGN's Nintendo Voice Chat is getting way too "frat brother"y for me.

& on Bitmob, Shoe takes less than 10 secs (minus the intro tune) to ONCE AGAIN inform us that Raychul Moore is his g/f. I dunno why it bugs me, but enough already. It would have just as much bearing if she were his stepmom, Grandma, or Maytag repair technician. IT DOESN'T MATTER, NO ONE CARES.

:roll::ponder::roll:

Edited by RJ

Another podcast has entered the ring!

http://videomastersradio.com/

Video Masters Radio. Listening to the first episode. Sadly, no RSS feed. Hollow audio, but this might be fixed in later episodes.

The Monroeworld episode wasn't bad at all. Better than I remember the previous incarnation where you would get a 40-minute rant on why you should buy the original games/hardware etc instead of using an emulator. Monroe.

Wow does Chrome not like this editor.