IGNORED

2 worthy video game podcasts

S1500

Yah he's making the rounds pushing his kickstarter, which paid off, as I just read here it was realized.

I was considering mentioning it on our recent project, but it wouldve been after the fact & over by the time we "aired".

& I know it's near Halloween, but this time around Im hearing a lot about NES Nightmare on Elm St & Friday the 13th, as if they're the only go-to scary retro games.

RJ, If it makes you feel any better, we did discuss Haunted House for the 2600 and a Japanese Splatterhouse game for the Famicom in episode 13. :)

Edited by Rob2586
  • Like 1

Hmm Rob- my email notification reads a bit differently than what I see here- did the hurting stop? ;)

It's all good Rob. Truthfully I posted that before your podcast d/l'ed, so of course I wouldnt know you discussed it. I do appreciate your Atari HH talk, no one ever mentions that.

Edited by RJ
  • Like 1

That's it! It is time! Here are the 2013 poddie award nominees. Cast your votes!

2013 Poddies

Best Video Podcast to Watch

Lazy Game Reviews

Best Podcast We Miss Hearing New Episodes From

1MHZ

Digital Press

Retrogaming Radio

Old Game Plus

Discussion topics we are tired of

Kickstarters

YouTube

Final Fantasy

Best Arcade Coin-Op Podcast

Broken Token

Arcade Outsiders

Retro MAME Arcade

Best New Pinball Podcast

Coast 2 Coast Pinball

Pinball Soul

Best Podcast to Unsubscribe From

Video Game Rescue

RF Generation

Best Computer Podcast

Retrocomputing Roundtable

Floppy Days

OpenApple

ANTIC

2013 Podcast of the Year

The Intellivisonaries

Atari 2600 Game by Game

Retro Game Squad

Coast 2 Coast Pinball

????

• Like 2

If I was to record a conversation with someone online later to be used in a podcast or such what would be the best way to do this? What would be the best (most accessible) free software to use? I'm totally ignorant to all this so any help would be appreciated. I have heard of Audacity and have even played around with it a little but it seems a little too involved for just basic recording and/or editing. It took me about 2 hours just to get my mic working on the thing! Is there something 'drag'n'drop' like Windows Movie Maker but for audio?

Over in their KLOV podcast thread, the ArcadeOutsiders gang have just recently got around to acknowledging complaints & playing the "if you dont like it, dont listen" card, w/ one of them posting a lengthy, heartwarming defense. No matter how true this is & how right they are, staying on topic & maintaining a listenable show without offensive, derogatory humor do not appear to be their focus. An ideal show doesn't have the listener pick & choose & FFWD & skip their way through it (though admittedly very few shows fit this criteria).

Edited by RJ

My 2013 Poddie nominees: (shows/categories I havent heard are N/A

BEST VIDEO PODCAST TO WATCH:

n/a

BEST PODCAST WE MISS:

Though Shane Monroe is an established name in the "biz", I feel the Digital Press group had more potential than they gave forth & hope(d?) to see bigger, better things from them

DISCUSSION TOPICS WE ARE TIRED OF:

YouTube talk has no place in an audio retro podcast. A few podcasts seem to exist BECAUSE of YouTube & serve as a means to channel potential viewers/subscribers to it, like a radio show saying "hey watch our

show on channel 9!" KEEP PODCASTS AUDIO, NOT VIDEO.

BEST ARCADE COIN-OP PODCAST:

BrokenToken

BEST NEW PINBALL PODCAST:

n/a

BEST PODCAST TO UNSUBSCRIBE FROM:

(tie) Video Game Rescue & RF Generation

(I've unsubbed to both long ago)

BEST COMPUTER PODCAST:

ANTIC (what did you expect from a lifelong ATARI fan?)

& my nominee for the 2013 POTY is...(drumroll)

Atari 2600 Game by Game podcast!!!

Ferg does an awesome job on this solo, informative, often comedic & always enjoyable 'cast. Never offensive or sweary, pleasantly listenable & has great longevity- he's not gonna run out of subject matter anytime soon! What's more, ferg himself credits this thread as the impetus of & giving him the encouragement, drive, & esteem to get his show started, & as anyone can see he keeps soaring to new heights! Keep up the great work ferg!!!

Edited by RJ
  • Like 4

If I was to record a conversation with someone online later to be used in a podcast or such what would be the best way to do this? What would be the best (most accessible) free software to use? I'm totally ignorant to all this so any help would be appreciated. I have heard of Audacity and have even played around with it a little but it seems a little too involved for just basic recording and/or editing. It took me about 2 hours just to get my mic working on the thing! Is there something 'drag'n'drop' like Windows Movie Maker but for audio?

I would still go with audacity. It's just a beast that needs to be tamed a bit. I always forget that "append record" is on the Transport menu(ie continue your recording where you left off). Yeah, the GUI leaves a bit to be desired, can be a bit crashy(don't work with a project over a network drive. keep it local).

Getting audio input levels right is a challenge with any software. I've had real bad luck over the years getting my voice picked up properly without distortion or not picking up the audio altogether. So many ports.

There may be a descrepancy, but nominees have to had come into existence within the past year (since the previous POTYs). Note that YDKFlack, Retrogaming Roundup, & ofher notable 'casts arent there either.

No Quarter came around in October 2012 & was nominated in the 2012 POTYs (& got my vote as Best New Podcast).

Edited by RJ
  • Like 1

That's it! It is time! Here are the 2013 poddie award nominees. Cast your votes!

2013 Poddies

Best Video Podcast to Watch

Can I write in Sprite Castle?

Best Podcast We Miss Hearing New Episodes From

Digital Press - it's the only one I listen to out of the four.

Discussion topics we are tired of

YouTube - this may change for me now that I can watch it in good quality on the Wii.

Best Arcade Coin-Op Podcast

I haven't listened to any of these yet, sorry.

Best New Pinball Podcast

Listening to pinball podcasts make me sad because I can't play any. :(

Best Podcast to Unsubscribe From

RF Generation - I like these guys and I am still subscribed, but I keep moving the latest episode to the end of my podcasts playlist, and I had been starting it after the Not small at all scores segment.

Best Computer Podcast

ANTIC - I missed out on the whole computer era in the 80s, but I like Atari and own an 800, soooo...

2013 Podcast of the Year

The Intellivisonaries - I can't vote for myself. Their show is much better anyway. :)

• Like 1

Arcade Outsiders is slowly meeting the "unsubscribe" threshold. It's becoming 100% morning zoo crew + Grinker's talk. When they were discussing the criticism about the 'cast on another ep, they wouldn't directly reference the forum. Any time someone would ask what the forums was, various naughty words came out, each time.

I think I know why I've never heard a single episode of "Stalking the retro", despite now being subbed in Itunes. All ep lengths are listed as "continuous", and thus nothing gets directly downloaded. And I've missed about 50 episodes so far.

Edited by S1500

Arcade Outsiders is slowly meeting the "unsubscribe" threshold. It's becoming 100% morning zoo crew + Grinker's talk. When they were discussing the criticism about the 'cast on another ep, they wouldn't directly reference the forum.

Their forum or this forum? Because they're getting flak from their fellow KLOVers too over there. Sometimes the 2 co-hosts seem bothered, but then they'll play right along 2 minutes later.

Their forum or this forum? Because they're getting flak from their fellow KLOVers too over there. Sometimes the 2 co-hosts seem bothered, but then they'll play right along 2 minutes later.

The KLOV forums that they wouldn't name. They didn't mention this forum. Hey, did you know they were at Grinker's?

• Like 1